High powered blenders

Bethany Lannon

Recently discovered making my own coconut butter as well as coconut milk, both of which (among many other recipes) call for use of a "high powered blender" or food processor. I've read that the high powered blender yields better results. I can't get a vitamix so I'm looking for recommendations for other blenders that fall under the "high powered" category, preferably for under $100.  We have a magic bullet, but I'm definitely graduating up to needing something more powerful than that.

Thanks in advance!

I also wasn't willing to shell out vitamix bucks and got a Cuisinart which works just fine, it was around $100 on sale.  There aren't that many models to choose from, I can't remember exactly which one it is but it's in that price range. 

I got a mini cuisinart food processor for less than $50, it's only got a 4 cup capacity (probably half that if it's liquid) but it's enough for just me and it's been awesome so far. I made mashed cauliflower the other day and it blended it until it was SMOOTH and creamy just like real mashed potatoes. It literally had the same creamy smoothness as real mashed potatoes, it was fantastic.

I use a KitchenAid that was less than $40, mainly because I'm too cheap to plunk down a large chunk of change for a blender  :P

It's not particularly powerful and the blades don't spin that fast but it really works well for me. Some people have a lot of success using a stick/immersion blender.

When it comes to making mayo, I think the key to success is making sure all of your ingredients are at room temperature and that you drizzle the oil in really, really, slowly...

• 2 weeks later...

Recently discovered making my own coconut butter as well as coconut milk, both of which (among many other recipes) call for use of a "high powered blender" or food processor. I've read that the high powered blender yields better results. I can't get a vitamix so I'm looking for recommendations for other blenders that fall under the "high powered" category, preferably for under $100.  We have a magic bullet, but I'm definitely graduating up to needing something more powerful than that.

Thanks in advance!

I'd love your recipe for coconut milk.  I've tried 2 different ones in my blender and they always come out too watery.  Delicious!  But watery compared to the canned type.  I feel like the canned milk is a better value.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Snowflower, here is the link I used:

http://www.nourishingcharlotte.com/homemade-coconut-milk-easy-delicious/

I felt like mine came out pretty well and just as good as canned. Plus it gave me the pulp to dry in the oven and ended up with coconut flour. I was happy with the end result overall and ultimately the money savings also. :)

I picked one up just the other day from a company called Restaurant Depot, got it shipped for about $76. It was on sale, but it is a high powered bar blender, that didnt cost $400.

Here is a link to it, its off sale, but still pretty inexpensive

http://www.therdstore.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=908&Store_Code=IFSES&search=blender&offset=&filter_cat=41&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=&customfield1=&filter_cf1=&customfield2=&filter_cf2=&psrelevance=name%2Cdescrip

Archived