Intro and a question about fats

Hi everyone! I've been a lurker here for a bit. My name is Christine and I've been researching Whole30 for a while. I have not committed to a full 30 yet but testing the waters to see how we'll I can stick to it.

I have previously been logging food on My Fitness Pal, and while I don't ALWAYS do it, it does help me be accountable. Anyway, I tried a day of good, compliant eating with good food logging yesterday. Does anyone else do this? I am a big believer in healthy fats, but I was WAY high on fat intake yesterday.

What I ate was- 3 eggs with salsa, kale, and part of an avocado for breakfast. A mango with coconut flakes and cashews for snack, a hard boiled egg, watermelon and compliant minestrone soup for lunch. Dinner was ground turkey, peppers, and a sweet potato, and I had more watermelon and almonds before bed. I know my fruit and nut intake is high and I did not get enough protein. Yesterday was not my "best" day but i prepped a lot of food and hope to do better.

I'm concerned about the fat ought, and not sure if I really should be or not. What do you think?

Your fat seems fine ... if anything, it seems like too little?

You had the avocado at breakfast, cashews with snack 1, I assume the minestrone soup had a fat in it (if not, you would add a fat at lunch), and I assume you cooked your ground turkey in a fat?

Watch how close you eat to bed-time: you want to stop eating 2-3 hours beforehand.

Also, once you're on the Whole30, your snacks should be a mini-meal of a protein and fat.

conventional wisdom about fat is wrong. a calculator like "my fitness pal" will offer bad advice regarding calorie intake, fats, and many other things. better to skip it, listen to your body and eat whole foods. If you are unsure, the meal template offers excellent guidance.

• Moderators

The Whole30 approach bans all forms of calorie counting including weighing, measuring, and logging in MyFitnessPal. The reason is that calorie counting distorts your relationship with food and makes it more difficult for you to eat properly. The Whole30 does not ask you to go entirely on feelings, however. We provide a meal template - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf - and recommend that you eat at least 3 proper meals per day.

As Miss Mary said, conventional wisdom about fat is wrong. Most people need to eat more fat in order to lose weight. After some experience with eating the Whole30 way, most people begin to recognize that fat is our friend and not our enemy.

Back when I first went paleo (not whole30) I logged my food into everydayhealth.com a few times just for curiosities sake. I was working out pretty hard at the time (crossfit 3x a week) and eating about 2000 calories a day, the breakdown on that was about 160g fat, 120g protein, and 75-100g carbs. That's about 2.5 times the amount of fat that conventional nutrition tells you to eat in a day, and close to twice the protein. 

When you remove grains and legumes from your diet, they take with them a lot of calories that have to be replaced with something. Since whole30 limits carbs from fruits and veggies are very low in carbs, and protein can cause issues for your kidneys if you eat excessive amounts, fat is the best place to get those extra calories. Fats have 9 calories per gram, while carbs have 4 calories per gram, making fat a much more dense source of calories that your body can burn slowly for sustained energy. Fat also makes you feel satiated so you don't have to eat every 2 hours.

While the whole 30 doesn't promote calorie counting, I find the suggested macro breakdown provided by my fitness pal to be complete rubbish!! I was using it, but had to alter my breakdown so much....

It's quite freeing to not be worrying about how much I'm eating. Have I worried that I'm eating too much of something...or not enough of something else? Yes! But I'm willing to try it for a month, and I figure if I don't feel comfortable with my size (if it changes) at least i should have experienced some health benefits. I also have physique goals, and worried that this plan doesn't suit those. If that's the case I will also make amends, but hopefully retain any health benefits.

So far, I am enjoying not worrying about eating every 2-3 hours, or worrying that I've eaten 90g fat instead of 87g fat....

Archived