Jeannie's Whole 30 Day 2 and Beyond

Derval,

I definitely notice my tummy is flatter, and my clothes seem to be fitting me better. Not as tight. I can't imagine that after what I was eating and what I'm eating now that I won't see some kind of improvement. Just my mind and wanting to jump on that scale for confirmation. I'm almost tempted to wait even a little longer after the Whole 30 to weigh myself but in the same token, know that I need to have some measure so I know if stuff is affecting me negatively or I need to adjust quantities of what I'm eating. I will say that I plan on eating this way after. I think my biggest thing I'll introduce again is stevia in my coffee, and maybe some goat cheeses. I'm not a big fan of dairy so easy for me to not have as much, also thinking that gluten free grains and the occasional burger with bun may happen in my life. Can't say I'll never have a piece of cake on my Bday, etc. but I do love how this program is making me aware of when, why, and how I do things. Def helping me stay on track. ;)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 11 (yesterday)

I didn't have time to post yesterday. I was invited to see a show here in Vegas that I've been dying to see and it was Amazing! Yesterday was pretty good. Felt pretty good up until I went to the show. I started to question if I was fatter than the last time I worse the same outfit, am I eating too much fruit, what if I'm working hard and see no weight loss? I wish I could turn these thoughts off. I am happy eating this way and don't really feel deprived, I miss a few things but nothing significant to the point where I'm miserable everyday. I didn't have wine or beer, that was free at the event, just politely asked for a water. I throughly enjoyed the show, came home, and went to bed. Woke up this morning to document so I don't forget. Hunger was good yesterday, in fact after dinner I didn't get hungry at all. Usually I do. Maybe the extra carbs, I also didn't work out as much yesterday, just did a few miles of walking. Not sure. :)

Food:

B:

3 eggs scrambled w/yellow squash, spinach, and 1/4 avocado.

1/2 chicken sausage

Handful of melon

2 cups of coffee w/ half light coconut milk and half reg coconut milk

Lunch:

Nom Nom paleo chicken madras salad w/ lettuce wraps

100 calorie pack of guacamole

Snack pack of baby carrots

Handful of cherries

Kombucha

Snack:

1 hard boiled egg and 6/7 almonds

Dinner:

1/2 cup or so of spaghetti squash

2 chicken sundries tomato sausages

2 handfuls of broccoli w/ maybe a tsp of ghee

Overall I fel my food was pretty good for yesterday. :) Hoping that I'm still in the right track. :) Here's to today.

I know what you mean. It's really hard to turn off those thoughts about weight loss. I used to weigh myself everyday, especially if I was working out. Before I began this I was about to buy a new digital scale that would show increments down to 1/10 lb. So it's been 6 days since I've stepped on a scale and I don't know if I've lost anything or maybe even gained. Of course, I've only pooped once since I started, so I'm sure that's part of it too.

i catch myself looking at body parts or feeling my jawline to check for more definition. I'm pretty sure that's right up there with weighing myself! that said, I completely understand how tempting it is for the outside confirmation that this is "working" in that way. I'm with you. Hang in there. We can do it!

Day 12

Today I woke up with as many worried thoughts as yesterday. Am I losing? Do I look thinner? Blah..blah..blah. A friend posted a paleo meal she had and I told her my struggles. After I wrote her back I realized that maybe on day 30 I'm not going to be ready for the scale, and that's ok. I just need to go with how I feel and just keep looking forward. I'm definitely healthier than I was before this venture, so if anything I know I'm doing something right by eating this way. I also feel pretty good. Trying new recipes, really aware of ingredients, etc. my hubby is having a hated time because he wants to do whole 30 modified, yet when I tell him it's not a whole 30 approved item he gets frustrated. That's causing a little stress, but I keep telling him if he doesn't want to continue he doesn't have to. We'll see what happens with that situation. My cousin is coming over to visit, so here's my log.

B:

3 eggs with spinach and 1/2 cup of sundried tomato chicken sausage w 1/4 avocado

Handful of melon

1 cup of coffee w/ half light and half reg coconut milk

Lunch:

Nom Nom paleo madras chicken salad in lettuce cups

Small handful of carrots

1/4 avocado

Handful of cherries

Snack:

Sparkling water

3/4 of a Lara Bar

Dinner:

Dinner salad w/ evoo & balsalmic, 7 olives, 4 artichokes, tomato, & cucumber

Handful of Nom Nom paleo sweet potato fries

Palm sized Bison Burger w/brown mustard

We'll see how I feel. No workouts past two days so hunger seems down a bit. My goal is to workout more next week.

Til' tomorrow. :)

Day 13:

Wow! Today has been by far one of my most challenging. I wanted sweetner in my coffee, bread with my eggs, a latte in the afternoon, and a cookie from Whole Foods. I haven't had cravings this bad since I started. I didn't cave in to any of these desires, but it really set me thinking as to how much I am going to want to reincorporate back in to my diet, and am I feeling this way because I'm genuinely addicted to this things or because I feel deprived? I am notorious for being so strict I don't allow any freedom and then breaking and lose all,control. I don't want that to happen with this. I'm also nervous that I'm going to gain weight after 30 days and will feel like I wasted a month. Trying hard not to,feel this way, but it's constantly on my mind. Trying not to let the scale rule me, I just want to be comfortable in my clothes again. On a positive note I found Jalapeño Bacon at Whole Foods with no sugar! Yay! Excited to have some bacon. :) i also tried a coconut wrap today and it was pretty good, definitely not a traditional wrap, but a nice change. Here's to tomorrow.

B:

3 eggs w/spinach & mushroom w 1/4 avocado

Handful of chicken sausage

Handful of cantaloupe

Lunch:

Coconut wrap w/ Nom Nom Paleo's Madras Chicken Salad

1 baby cucumber

Handful of cherries

Passion tea, unsweetened

Dinner:

2 chicken sponach& tomato sausages

Handful of sweet potato fries made w/coconut oil

Dinner salad w/ heirloom tomato, mushroom, artichoke heart, 1/4 avocado, & evoo& balsalmic

Might have some berries or cherries w/ some nuts, not sure. I almost forgot that I walked my doggies for 4 miles today. :) that was my wo.

Day 14

Almost halfway through! Wooohoo! I've felt better today with the cravings than yesterday. I still have been having lots of thoughts about post 30 days what my diet will look like. I know one thing and that I will incorporate some kind of sweetness in my coffee. I just can't enjoy my coffee the same. I am not so focused right now on the weightless, but trying to figure out how to be paleo and lose weight after this. I also can't say that I will follow this 100% either. I just miss certain items, like cheese on my burger from time to time would be nice. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Upward and onward, I'm happy with today's progress. At least I'm bot crazily craving things today. :)

B:

2 cups of coffee w/half light coconut & half reg coconut milk

3 scrambeled eggs w/broccoli & spinach and 1/4 avocado

1/2 of sausage

Handful of cantaloupe

L:

Grassfed burger w/tomato, avocado, and mustard wrapped in lettuce

Handful of Jicama "fries"

Dinner:

Nom Nom Paleo's Smashed Crispy Chicken w/salsa

Japanese Mashed yam w/ghee

Green salad w/artichoke, tomato, cucumber, and 6 olives w/evoo&balsalmic

Might have some fruit w/dinner cherries or something, not sure. No workout today, but lots of prep in the kitchen today.

Til' mañana. ;)

Halfway there! Awesome! Well done!

Tomorrow is my halfway mark. The things I miss most are coffee with half & half, and wine, and cheese here and there (a sprinkling of fresh parmesean on my veggies). I'm hoping I can incorporate these two things into my post-30 in a healthy way, but am prepared to give them up if I find out that the half & half causes cravings or some other bad thing, or that one glass of wine is too much of a slippery slope for me.

Day 15

Yesterday I thought was Day 15, but today is officially 15 days. Half way through. What was most hilarious was I dreamt w/chocolate cake and frozen yogurt last night. Funny thing was is they wouldn't give me the cake, and my yogurt melted. I was pissed to say the least, lol. Even though I dreamt with it, I had no cravings today except for some sweetner in my coffee & ketchup. I'm pretty cool with everything else and treating other things as a treat, but stevia and ketchup are two things I really miss and feel deprived of. Other than that, had a great day. Did Kettlebells today and eating was good, except lunch I think was too light and I got hungry early. I'm also super excited as I'll be taking a Kettlebells training in September and starting crossfit next week. :)

Food:

B:

3 eggs w/broccoli, spinach, & 1/4 avocado

Handful of cherries

1 cup of coffee w/ half light coconut milk and reg coconut milk

Lunch:

Palm size of sliced turkey breast (about 5 1/2 oz)

2cups of broccoli w/tsp of Ghee

1 cup of mashed cauliflower w/ ghee

Handful of strawberries & blueberries

Snack:

6 mac nuts and a zucchini

Pre workout snack:

2 hard boiled eggs & handful of baby carrots

Dinner:

1/2 cup of Japanese Yam

Nom Nom paleo smashed crispy chicken w/salsa

Salad w/3 baby beets, 1/2 tomato, 1 baby cucumber, 6 olives, green onion & evoo&balsalmic

I might have a handful of cherries w/some Mac nuts as didn't have post workout snack just had dinner. I have to figure that out better.

Til' tomorrow. ;) Hope I'm doing ok. Kept having fleeting thoughts I'm gaining weight, but I don't know how I would. We'll see.

Since I finally buried my scale yesterday, I found myself today thinking more about whether I am eating too much, and what if I go for a full two weeks without weighing to find that I have *gasp* GAINED weight?! The reassurance that the scale is moving in the right direction is difficult to let go of. But it has been moving in the right direction for the last two weeks, so I guess I gotta just have faith. And tomorrow I'm going to start getting some exercise into my day - even just a walk in the evening a few times a week would be good, and would probably calm my nerves about whether the scale is moving in the right direction! I'm impressed with your Kettlebells and Crossfit! (I'm not quite ready for that)

Thanks Ann! I know what you mean. The scale is definitely a measure I'm so used to using, but I really feel good. I don't want to give up this feeling. I may have to modify things to suit me long term, but overall it's such a great program. I love Kettlebells. Can't wait to take the training as its going to be my gift to myself for my Bday. :) it's an all day Saturday class. I get to learns advanced moves in Kettlebells and take a hot yoga/Pilates infused class with the Kettlebells too. Super awesome! Crossfit is next week. Never have done it, but looking forward to it. So you've been losing without exercise? That's great :) Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll be fine in your weightless goals. ;)

Yep, I've been losing without exercising (unless you count the two days of heavy-duty yardwork I put in this weekend -- my aching muscles can attest to the fact that it was a good workout!) 7.5# as of Sunday (from 178.4 to 171.0)! But my weight generally fluctuates from 173-178, so I'm not far out of my "normal" range, and those early pounds always seem to come off pretty easily. My scale hasn't seen the 160s for more than two years, and I'm excited to see that at the end of my 30. I know once I add some walking into my plan it will make a big difference. I live in a very hilly neighborhood, so a one hour walk for me is a good workout.

What a wonderful birthday treat for yourself :) And OMG hot yoga/Pilates/Kettlebells infusion sounds brutal!! haha!

For some reason my Day 16 post is not here. Hmmmm. A little disturbing as to,what happened to it. Oh well. I will just post food and log my thoughts and feelings for today. Today started good. I was a bit hungry as I worked out yesterday pretty hard and have been since Monday. I felt pretty satisfied food wise all day, but when I put my gym clothes on, I start obsessing about whether I've lost weight, do I look thinner, etc. I'm trying hard to battle these demons and am determined to make this as much of my lifestyle as possible. I feel good and am going to try and focus from this day on, on how I feel and what I appreciate about my body. No more self hate and worry about what I am or am not achieving. So today I love my body because it is strong and allows me to be active and healthy. :)

Food.

Day 16

B:

3 eggs w/spinach and 1/4 avocado w/salsa

Handful of cherries

Handful of sausage

1 cup of coffee w/coconut milk

L:

Salmon salad made with Mayo, celery, dill pickle, in lettuce wraps w/half of tomato & 1/4 avocado

In lettuce cups

Handful of carrots

Handful of cherries

PWO Snack:

1 hard boiled egg and handful of nuts

WO: 60 min power vinyasa hot

PWO snack:

2 oz of turkey breast and half cup of spaghetti squash

Dinner:

Shrimp kabobs grilled 6 oz

1/2 cup of mashed yams w/ghee

Salad w/ cucumber, tomato, 6 olives, 4 baby beets, and evoo&balsalmic

Today, Day 17

B:

Handful of cherries

Handful of sausage

L:

Tuna salad made with Mayo, celery, dill pickle, in lettuce wraps w/1/4 avocado

In lettuce cups

Handful of carrots

1 baby cucumber

Handful of cherries

PWO snack:

2 hard boiled eggs & handful of Mac nuts

WO: 60 min Kettlebells class

PWO:

1 slice of,turkey breast and 1/2 cup of spaghetti squash

Dinner:

Salmon salad made with Mayo, celery, dill pickle, in coconut wrap w/lettuce

Salad w/ cucumber, tomato, 6 olives, 4 baby beets, and evoo&balsalmic

My have a handful of cherries and some nuts. Overall I feel great and been sleeping amazingly. Here is to tomorrow. ;)

Day 18!

Wow! I can't believe that I'm this far in. Today was a good day. I said my mantra...I love my body because I am able to walk without assistance and am healthy. I survived a major potluck at work. I am teaching summer school and it is coming to an end, so of course let's celebrate with food. Bad food at that. Lol. I didn't touch anything, well I did, but it was because I cut ALL the desserts. I didn't even lick my fingers. :) it was not that bad, but I did have a brief moment of wanting a chocolate dipped cherry. Two of my favorite things, but I didn't. I also went today to get a colonic. Wow! It was very interesting. They said that from all my time being Vegan and eating all the starches, soy, etc. that I may possibly have candida build up. I'm torn on whether I should do a treatment, or just keep,eating as I am and let my body heal naturally. Either way I feel energetic, happy, and focused today. Definitely one of my best days yet.

Food:

B:

Handful of cherries

Handful of sausage

L:

Salmon salad made with Mayo, celery, dill pickle, in lettuce wraps & 1/4 avocado

In lettuce cups

Handful of carrots

Handful of cherries

Snack:

2 medium hard boiled eggs & 4 olives

Dinner:

5oz of BBQ Brisket (recipe here, AHHHHmazing http://www.paleomadeline.com/2011/08/10/bbq-beef-brisket/)

1 cup of mashed cauliflower w/tsp of ghee

1 1/2 cups of broccoli

Might have some berries with coconut cream. Til' tomorrow. :)

I didn't even lick my fingers. :)

This made me laugh! Several times over the course of the last couple of weeks I have caught myself nearly doing that. Or popping the one little piece of grated cheese that sticks to the grater in my mouth rather than throw it away... (my son eats cheese). But then I remember and spit it out again. Amazing how much we graze while we cook/prepare food, isn't it?

Day 19! Wooohooo. I can't believe it's almost been 3 weeks. I can't believe I've made it with absolutely no sugar ( except for some fruit) this long. No matter what program I've done I've never been off of sugar in some way. I feel pretty good, though the leftover cookies and York Coffeemate creamer did look tempting. I have felt really good the past two days. I've been saying my mantra and focusing on how I feel vs worrying about if I'm losing weight. Today I felt good in my clothes, my food was yummy, and I've been thinking about my long term goals after my Whole 30. I hope to do my reintroduction phase while still traveling to visit my family, because I'm determined to customize and make Paleo my lifestyle as much as possible. Can't say I'll Never have things again, but I know as of now I feel good. Clearer skin, less upset tummy troubles, awesome sleep, and lots of energy. :) So today I love my body because it feels healthy and clean. Cheers!

Food:

B:

Handful of cherries

Handful of sausage

2 cups of coffee w/coconut milk

L:

Salmon salad made with Mayo, celery, dill pickle, in lettuce wraps & 1/4 avocado

In lettuce cups

Handful of carrots

Handful of cherries

PWOSnack:

2 medium hard boiled eggs & 6 olives

WO: 60 min Kettlebells Class

PWO:,1/2 sausage & 4 baby beets

Dinner:

Salmon burger with 1 tbsp of paleo mayo&dill

1/2 cup of mashed cauliflower w/tsp of ghee

1/2 cup of sweet potato w/light amt of ghee

1 1/2 cups of broccoli

Might have some berries with coconut cream, only if I'm hungry. Tomorrow I attend my crossfit orientation. Woohoo! Nervous but excited.

Day 20. Almost three weeks. Wow! Time has really flown. Feeling good today and looking forward to some fun things this week. I start crossfit and going to Zion for a student leader retreat this upcoming weekend. Already starting to plan for things that I'll be taking with so that I stay on plan. :) I am not going to jeopardize my success after being so close to my Whole 30. I finish my 30 days before I go visit my Dad and I'm going to really focus on reintroducing appropriately. I can tell you I ate something that didn't agree with me today. I have a feeling it was at Qdoba, because I feel like caca. Oh well I've lived and learned. My body is obviously changing. Went to go see the new Batman movie, got no popcorn or drink, instead went out to a nice burger and salad lunch with friends. Asked about what oils are used, etc and made sure nothing was finished w/butter or oils. Feels good to go out and make sure my food is ok, and still enjoy friends company, etc. I also am working on getting a new tattoo soon about my journey of self love and self acceptance. I am a perfectionist to a "t" and have come to realize in this whole 30 that it's ok not to be perfect. So my new tattoo is going to be a cherry blossom tree with a sanskrit quote that means true perfection has to be imperfect. My mantra today was I love my body because it's imperfect and it's beautiful because it is. :) good day. No fruit today either which was a nice change. :)

Food:

B:

3 eggs w/spinach and broccoli w/ 1/4 avocado and hot sauce

1/2 sausage link

Lunch:

Palm sized burger grilled w/ jalapeño, lettuce, tomato, and 2 tbsp of guac

Green side salad w/balsalmic & evoo

Iced tea unsweetened

Snack:

1/4 Lara bar

Pineapple iced tea unsweetened

Dinner

Qdoba salad w/ guac, pick de gallo, medium salsa, pork, and veggies. They said there were no seed oils or soy, but I'm not sure. I'm having weird tummy feelings right now

That's it for today. No fruit and overall a great day. Til' tomorrow.

Archived