Jeannie's Whole 30 Day 2 and Beyond

Day 2. Still wanted my coffee sweeter this morning, but told myself to enjoy the cup of coffee and let go of the craving. Today has been a good day, less hungry due to some adjustments. Feeling good and no headache!! Yay!

Day 2 food:

B:

3 eggs with spinach and mushrooms

1/4 avocado

2 apricots

2 cups of coffee with light coconut milk

L:

Homemade Turkey Salad w/celery, homemade mayo, and a few mac nuts

Lettuce cups for salad

Cucumber w/100 cal pack of guac

Handful of cherries

Snack:

2 hard oiled eggs and handful of carrots

Dinner:

Salmon Burger with avocado mango salsa

Green salad w/a little evvo&balsalmic vinegar

Handful of cherries

That's it! Hope I did good!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3. More so than food, today was a major milestone emotionally. I had planned a sushi date with former students before I decided to do Whole 30. Part of me wanted to cancel and not go because what the heck could I possibly eat at a sushi bar? Lol. Well I gave it much thought and decided even if I didn't eat I was going to get a spritze, put a lime and enjoy the conversation. We arrived and I looked at the menu. Nothing was made without a sauce, breaking, seed, or soy sauce. Sashimi is traditionally just the fish with rice. I decided I would ask if they could just make me a sashimi on top of avocado. The girl asked and they said yes. The best part was not the food, but that I still went out and enjoyed the CONVERSATION not just the food. I was focused on it and enjoyed why I was there which was to see them, not just to eat. So many times I panic at parties over what will I eat, I ate too much, etc. etc. I didn't have that feeling and it fel GREAT! This is only day 3 but I think this may just work. Here is my food log for today:

Breakfast:

2 cups of coffee w/light coconut milk

3 scrambled eggs w/2 handfuls of Spinach topped with avocado&mango salsa

Lunch

Homemade turkey salad with mayo, celery, a couple Mac nuts wrapped in romaine leaves & 1/4 avocado

Some blueberries, strawberries, and cherries

Snack:

Small Salmon & avocado sashimi & 1 hard boiled egg

Dinner:

Grass-fed tri-tip with spiced grilled

Dinner salad with artichokes, mushroom, tomato, green onion, cucumber, 1/4 avocado, evvvo&balsalmic as dressing

1/2 cup of sweet potato w/cinnamon and a tiny bit of ghee

Handful of cherries

Wo: 60 min Kettlebell class

Day 3 was probably more of a success mentally than anything else. ;)

Awesome update!

Your food log looks fantastic. I LOVE that your snack includes protein…I don't see many that do. Snacks are just mini meals…protein, veggies and fat and you totally get that!!! Nice job!

I bet, before you know, you will not even need that snack.

Day 4:

Well today was interesting. I was super hungry only three hours after breakfast, I'm suspecting that my hour long Kettlebells workout spurred hunger today. I ate lunch and came home hungry again. Ate a small snack and went to my dr's appt. they weighed me and I told them not to show me the weight due to my Whole30. They didn't, but this triggered my old knee jerk reaction, am I losing weight, is the program working or do I just quit now because I'm not gonna lose weight? I quickly told myself to stop and that I'm only 4 days in and need to give this a true shot. I'm nervous I'm eating too much, as well as eating too much fat. It's because I'm so used to counting calories and fat. I calmed down by taking my dogs for a walk and the doggie park with my husband and had a nice dinner. Realizing that the scale really triggers anxiety for me. Lessons learned again today and thankful to be on this journey. Craving sweets today and def hungrier, which strikes me as odd, but we'll see how I do tomorrow.

Food Log:

B:

3 scrambled eggs w/spinach

1/2 of a turkey sausage

Small handful of blueberries and strawberries

Lunch:

Homemade Turkey Salad with homemade mayo, celery, and few mac nuts (3) w/ lettuce cups and 100 cal guacamole pack

Handful of carrots

Small handful of cherries, strawberries and cherries

Snack:

1 hard-boiled egg

1/2 of chicken & apple sausage

Dinner:

Dinner salad with mixed greens, (4) green & (4) black olives, 3 artichoke hearts, mushrooms, evoo&balsalmic

Salmon Burger with homemade tartar sauce

Small handful of strawberries & blueberries w/ a little drizzled coconut mana

A little hungry right now, but gonna push through and not eat anymore. :)

You are so inspiring…I can't wait to read you success story. I just know it is going to be wonderful!

You know, you could add a pre/post meal on your workout days. That may help with the hunger.

Pre-Workout:

Eat a small amount of protein (1/2 a meal size or smaller), and (optionally) a small amount of fat (1/2 a meal size or smaller). Do not add fruit or carb-dense veggies to your pre-workout snack.

Post-Workout:

Eat a meal sized easily digestible protein, up to a fist-sized portion of carb-dense veggies and little to no fat. Do not use fruit as your primary post-workout carb source, but rather choose sweet potato or yams or squash or pumpkin or beets. Your post-workout meal is a bonus meal, to be eaten immediately after your workout and should not replace breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is designed to help you recover from a high intensity workout.

Just a thought…let me know if you are interested in more info around this and/or check out the W30 For Athletes part of the Forum.

You are awesome!

Totally get you re the scales, I think it's a throwback to the butterflies in the tummy moment of weekly weigh in at ww!

You are learning so much about how your mind and body work, that's a win for a start.

Have a great day

Carie,

Thank you so much for the input on the pre and post workout snacks. :) I usually have dinner when I get home from my class because it's later, I wonder if maybe that's why I'm hungrier before bed. I'll have to play around with this. I so appreciate your feedback and I can't wait to see where this journey takes me too. I'll tell you right now I haven't been this committed in a long while, my gut, mind, and heart tell me this may just work for me. :) Plus I'm actually enjoying eating this way as opposed to Atkins that I dreaded. :) Thank you foe making me feel even better than I already do with your encouraging words. Means a lot.

Derval,

Right?!? I hate that feeling of the scale determining my mood and my whole life. Yet not knowing still made me nervous. I'm glad I don't know and am just trusting that my Whole30 will bring great things. :) Thank you for your feedback! :)

Hope both of you ladies have an awesome Friday! :)

You have such a great log! Your meals look really tasty, and the commentary on what is going on for you and how you make choices is very helpful. I'll be following your log for inspiration.

Day 5! I'm feeling good. Lots of energy, but first thing in the morning I still want my truvia in my coffee. Lol. Oh well. 25 more days and I can decide then if it's worth it. Had a great day teaching summer school and even refused a taco in a flour tortilla and chocolate cupcakes. After work I decided that I wanted to get grocery shopping out of the way. Looked through my Nom Nom Paleo so that I could try some new things for lunch and dinner this week. I also know that the weekend is a trigger for me to be more lax and not plan lately and eat out. I wanted to pick yummy recipes so that I could feel excited about eating this weekend knowing I was still Whole 30 compliant. Found all sorts of goodies at Whole Foods and even got some Bison to try. What was also great is my hubby and i used to stop for sugar free coffees before shopping, instead i got a pineapple iced tea w/approved ingredients, unsweetened and didn't even feel bad that I couldn't have the sugar free coffee. Never made it and looking forward to it. I was proud of myself because a friend offered to go out to brunch on Sunday and I didn't refuse. I said yes and figured I'd look at the menu and call the restaurant to se if they could fix my food special. They said yes they could accommodate my needs and even had Jalapeño bacon with no sugar! The big step in this is normally when I'm on the dreaded four letter word of a DIET I'd make an excuse as to why I can't go out. I realized I need to learn how to do this even after whole 30 and can't avoid my friends and family because I'm scared to make a mistake or eat out. My goal in this Whole 30 is to gain control over my eating and make mindful choices. I think that is happening. Though I made a mistake today, I'm ok with it and I'm moving on. I'm not staring over, just learning and moving on. Another day and lessons learned. :) It feels great to be doing this and learning so much about my behaviors and how much crap is also in our food.

Breakfast:

2 c of coffee w/light coconut milk

3 eggs w/spinach and mushroom topped w/a quarter of an avocado

1/2 of chicken and apple sausage

Handful of strawberries and blueberries

Lunch:

Lettuce wraps with homemade turkey salad topped with 100 cal guac pack

Beet salad w/pomegranate balsamic

Handful of blueberries & strawberries

Snack:

2 hard boiled eggs

Pineapple iced tea unsweetened

Dinner:

Here's where I made my mistake. We went to chipotle I got the salad and knew the Carnitas weren't in soy bean oil, but apparently the onion and green pepper are. I got a few in my salad but I'm ok with now knowing that and moving on. Nothing else had seed oil. Thank goodness. Lesson learned.

Carnitas salad with tomato salsa, extra lettuce and guacamole.

Good day and felt pretty good hunger wise. Just happy that I'm happy eating this way and feel like I'm changing habits and emotionally. I even cleared out my party more if unapproved ingredients.

That is awesome!! I wouldn't think to call ahead and when I eat out I am kind of shy asking a lot of questions. Thanks for letting me know that you had some good experiences that way. It is tough when restaurants cook primarily in seed oils and is a challenge and I think you did really the best you could do. What is more important is that you are still living life and not hiding from friends and family you are making this a part of your lifestyle and what you do and that is really what the Whole30 is about!

Day 6

Well day 6 is coming to a close. It was a good and bad day for me. Good because I got lots of prepping done, ate good meals, and felt pretty good. Lots of energy. Bad was that I kept obsessing about whether I'm losing weight or not. I recognize that it's my old habits of wanting to lose quickly and my lack of patience. I'm committed to my Whole 30 and keep telling myself there is no way I won't lose unless I'm not conscious of what I'm doing. I know I am being conscious, so I know that this will work. My old mentality of counting calories for so many years is weighing in here because I keep thinking I'm eating too much fat and calories. I also am seeing many posts about not eating fruit to lose weight and I keep worrying that im doing jt wrong. I recognize that and am moving forward. I also made a big decision to only take one 60 minute class today as a workout instead of 2 and trying to over-do it. I am considering trying crossfit because there is a groupon for 75 bucks. Haven't decided yet, but we'll see. :)

Food:

B:

3 eggs with mushroom and spinach

Palm size of chicken apple sausage

Handful of raspberries

Snack after workout: (had errands to run so had to have this)

Lara bar and Handful of strawberries

Lunch:

Grass-fed burger in a lettuce wrap with tomato, pickle, onion, and mustard

Snack: (lunch didn't have enough fat, definitely was hungry too quickly)

1-hard boiled egg, thumb size of almonds, and small handful of cherries

Dinner:

Whole foods Pork Andouille Sasuage 1 link

1/2 cup of sweet potato

Dinner salad w/cucumber, tomato, artichoke hearts, green onion, mushroom, 1/4 avocado, and evoo&balsalmic as dressing

I might have some cherries, might not. We'll see. :)

Tomorrow is going to be interesting. My hubby and I used to make Sunday our "cheat day." This will be our first Sunday not "cheating" in a long time. We do have brunch planned with friends and dinner with my mother-in-law but we have pre planned what we will eat. I think it will be more emotionally tough because we won't have our traditional "cheat" meal for dinner, followed by elaborate desserts. I think that this is one behavior I look forward to changing. I don't want to plan "cheats." If I want to treat myself then I will. No more cheating. ;)

Day 7:

Have done a lot of thinking and probably over thinking today. It's not over, but so far I'm really thinking about what I'm willing to do long term after the Whole 30 and what I am willing to live with as a lifestyle for the rest of my life. I've been a little anxious again today about whether what I'm doing is working and what happens if after 30 days I see no weightless, etc. I do feel good and I'm trying to focus on that, but sometimes I can't help but over think if I'm doing everything right or to promote success weightless wise. Good news is I have stuck to my program even with going out to eat breakfast, enjoyed time with friends( even though I did stare down the scone and chocolate crossaint basket like I was a thief), and prepped a lot of food for the week. Hopefully I can battle these "good" enough demons and continue to focus on being healthy and happy. I will say at this point I don't know if I'm willing to go 100% paleo, but we'll revist this when I'm on day 30.

Today's eating was a little off due to having more of a brunch:

Before brunch:

Half a handful of Mac nuts

Brunch:

Roasted Vegetable Scarmble w/jalapeño bacon

Small ramekin of fruit

Snack:

1-Nom Nom paleo Spicy Tuna Cake

Dinner:

Chicken kabobs with pineapple/onion/mushroom

Sweet potato w/ 1 tsp of Ghee

Fruit salad

Even if you decide to do a more leniant primal diet after the w30 you'll still be eating a hell of a lot healthier diet than a huge % of the population.

You are doing great, trust in the programme, the mods have personally commented that your log looks really good so you are doing it right!

Day 8:

Today has been a better day. Maybe it's because Derval put me in my place, lol, or that it's not the weekend. I feel the weekend always is hard because it's normally when I tend to "fail" on my diets or programs. I felt good today though. Woke up with a positive attitude, no anxiety, and I'm starting to like myself again. I feel less bloated and my food is yummy. I still miss Truvia in my coffee. I can tolerate not having other things, but I may have to do stevia or truvia. I went to my dr today to treat my adrenals and he says I'm doing well. Had lots of energy today and overall a good Monday. Tried to limit more of my fruit intake today, but I'm a little hungry tonight. May have to break down and have a snack after dinner even though I haven't been doing that, I may need it tonight. :) Not 100% yet.

Food:

B:

3 eggs with yellow squash, mushroom, spinach & avocado

Palm size of turky sausage

2 cups of coffee with 1/2 light coconut milk and half reg coconut milk

Lunch:

Nom Nom Paloe's Madras Chicken Salad 6oz w/ lettuce cups

1/4 of a cucumber and small pack of baby carrots

Handful of Rainer Cherries

Snack:

Kambucha

2 hard boiled eggs

Dinner:

Dinner salad w/cucumber, tomato, artichoke,mushroom, and avocado with evoo&balsalmic&balsalmic

2 Nom Nom Paleo TunaCakes and 1/2 of turkey sausage

Snack( after dinner) hungry and wanted to keep it light.

Berries w/coconut mana

Til' tomorrow ;)

Day 9:

Still missing some sweetness in my coffee. :( out f everything this is still wht I miss most. Today was good. Trying to add more fats to see if is stay fuller longer but I think that because lunch is around 11 and dinner is not til' 6-7 I just can't make it without a snack in between. I tend to workout after my snack, so I guess it could be considered a pre-workout meal. Today I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I want to do after the Whole 30. I agree that certain things are bad and sugar overall isn't good and less processed foods will always be better. I don't have a problem with that, but I can't say I will never eat a cheeseburger w/a bun or cake again. I think I need to find a balance between strict whole30 and a lifestyle I can live with and still lose weight. :) everything in moderation. I honestly feel really good. Strong, lots of energy, sleeping like a log, and overall pretty satisfied with this lifestyle. I think it will continue to be my primary diet but w/some tweaks. I guess that's the beauty of this program. I think my biggest concern is not being Paleo enough. When I was Vegan either you were a 100% or not. I just don't want to be seen as a joke I guess. Lots of thinking and the beauty of this journey is learning about myself. :)

Food:

B:

3 eggs w/mushroom, yellow squash, spinach and 1/4 avocado

Palm size of chicken and apple sausage

Handful of blueberries and raspberries

Lunch:

Nom Nom paleo Madras Chicken Salad in lettuce wraps and 1/4 avocado

Handful of carrots

Handful of cucumber

Handful of cherries

Pre-Workout Snack:

2 hard boiled eggs

WO: 3 mile walk with dogs and 60 min hot vinyasa class

Dinner:

Dinner salad w/cucumber, tomato, 6 olives, 1/4 avocado, mushroom & evoo & balsamic

Homemade spaghetti sauce w/ organic turkey meat, yellow squash, mushroom served over a handful of spaghetti squash

Snack: ( really hungry)

Strawberries & small handful of Mac nuts

Day 10:

Wow! I can't believe it's been 10 days. I'm not done with today but so far so good. For some reason I am very sleepy today. I went to see my doctor about my adrenals and I don't know if the reset has made me more sleepy or what. He said today they seem to be doing well, and I've been sleeping great. Not sure why the sudden sleepiness. Other than that I've felt pretty good with the exception of wanting to weigh myself terribly today. I keep looking in the mirror, wondering has anything changed yet? I also am stressing a bit today that I'm eating too much fat at meals and possibly just eating too much. I feel if I go through 30 days and I don't see any weight come off, I'm probably gonna blow my top. Lol. Trying to focus on the good, and how much easier this is than counting calories. I just hope in the long run I'm gonna be ok. Trying to acknowledge my fears, but not let them rule my emotions. Going to go workout soon, so this is my log for today.

Breakfast:

3 eggs with red&green peppers, onion, asparagus, and zucchini. Topped w/ a quarter avocado

1/2 chicken apple sausage

Handful of melon

Lunch:

Nom Nom paleo madras chicken salad w/lettuce wraps &1/4 avocado

Handful of carrots

1 cup of mixed grilled veggies

Handful of cherries

Pre-workout snack

2 hard boiled eggs and 6 Mac nuts

Wo: 60 min Kettlebells Class

Dinner:

Homemade Marinara w/organic turkey over spaghetti squash

Dinner salad w/tomato, mushroom, artichoke, 8 olives, and evvo&balsalmic

Maybe some fruit after dinner like handful of cherries or a peach, but not sure. If I do I'll have some nuts with it so it's not just straight fruit.

I also purchased coconut wraps today. Can't wait to try Em. :)

Your log looks great as always, well done on staying off the scales. Have you noticed your tummy is flatter, that was one thing I could see in the mirror when I did my first W30.

Even if you didn't lose a pound you have still gained great health improvemtns from eating so well.

Archived