How many days a week?

bookworm05

I'm training for a marathon and I also do weight workouts. Right now I'm running 3-4 days a week (expect that to go up) and weight training 3 days a week (there is some overlap and sometimes I do both on one day). My question is, how many rest days do you guys take? I have weight to lose so I don't want my body to chronically be stressed out but I like going to the gym and exercising when I have the energy to do so. 

Thoughts? 

Personally I try to take 2 full rest days when I'm half marathon training. I would rather overlap weights on an easy run day and have both my pre and post long run rest day. That said I only fit weight training in 2 days a week right now. When I switch to lower mileage running again I plan to up my strength training and go back to 1 full rest day a week.

I'm taking two full rest days right now (though the way my schedule has been it's two full rest days in a row which isn't ideal). I've been doing weights 3 times and running 3 times but I'm hoping to up both to 4x a week. 

I think 4 days running AND 4 days of lifting is too much. I like what Physibeth and Ultrarunnergirl suggested. I assume that ultrarunnergirl has been doing this for a while and is probably more adapted to high volume running that you probably are right now...so that's probably the ideal to work up to, but DON'T START THERE!

Good luck!

I train six days a week often but am trying to cut down. Now an active rest day might be a walk or a stretch class. I always have one total rest day. I am also going to try and add in a recovery week, where I cut the training volume by half . I say listen to your body. If you find you are full of beans, go for it. If I feel good I train am and pm. If you feel like training is a chore and you are tired and sore, rest. Over training can stand in the way of strength gains, that's why I am cutting down.

Archived