Bugs!

Vian

No, not eating bugs. I got some cauliflower from the farmers market and was about to cook it up last night, i found little grey aphids or something down in among the flowers in some areas. I was about to be grossed out and decide not to eat the cauliflower, but then realized something.

Having bugs on vegetables indicates what the vegetables don't have on them - pesticides and chemicals. 

So I used my sprayer to knock all the bugs off with hot water and cooked up the cauliflower and ate it!

• Moderators

Good for you!

The other day I found a green inch worm on my fourth rinse of some kale and chard. I sometimes cook and eat after the third rinse. I began to wonder how many green inch worms I may have eaten already. Oh well.

NPR featured someone saying on the radio today that some kind of worm tastes like pistachios when roasted...

I'm really lazy about washing stuff...wonder how much extra protein I get.

I found a 2 inch slug crawling on my sink after washing a bag of vegetables (kale or spinach...can't remember which) that had been in the fridge for a few days in a ziplock bag. Willies for sure.

Archived