Booo... I had a cupcake...

to me, part of the point of the whole 30 is to have the thirty days free of the sugar, dairy, gluten etc to give your body a chance to "re-set" before reintroducing these things to see if you react to them.

so yes, restart is necessary if you ate a cupcake!

(that would be my first reason....there's still why you ate it etc that needs to be thought about...)

I was making them for a baby shower, the house smelled so good and I have been craving something sweet for two days....   I feel so guilty, I was on a total roll...  :(  I have been eating good but, I don't believe I have been eating enough....  can I start back tomorrow?

cravings are basically your body looking for nutrients. so eat nutrients. not rubbish!! feeding it with cake doesn't help, you just want more cake because you haven't given your body what it was looking for.

willpower helps too. you don't NEED sugar, junk food, etc...you want it.

back on it tomorrow then :) ... just wondering how I can beat the PMS cravings? Since the kids my PMS has been really horrible but the cravings are the worst...

-----

I don't know if this will work for you, but while on my Whole50, I was able to conquer any and all sweets cravings with a glass of sparkling water full of ice with a hefty lime wedge squeezed into it. Totally hit the spot every time!

Also: Grapes. Snacking on fruit obviously isn't ideal, but a handful of grapes beats a cupcake in a PMS craving emergency!

P.S. The sparkling water also works for wine, beer, and cocktail cravings. ;)

I too had the WORST PMS - and the kind where I was ripping the heads of everybody - after I had my second kid.

BUT then I started living paleo and within one or two months the PMS was almost gone! So all I can say is keep going. Will through the first PMS and after that your hormones might just adjust - they did for me.

So start again tomorrow - that way you have a good period of time before with the whole30 (maybe almost a whole30) before its PMS-time again and it might already be better.

Good luck to you and don't volunteer to bake when you have PMS  ;)

Just keep going on Whole30! Don't let that darn cupcake derail you! You've got this....use the situation as a learning experience. Maybe offer to bring fruit salad to a party next time to keep temptations away and so close at hand. I am learning from your situation....thanks for sharing! Just get back on track...you've got the power!

I will echo everyone here. You should start over and it sounds like you need to eat more. Have you been keeping a log? Will you accept constructive feedback?

I've also noticed with my body that about a week before my period I drop a lot of extra weight (well I noticed when I was weighing myself every day) and I was more hungry than normal. Our bodies require different amounts of energy at different times. When your body is preparing to menstruate it will need more nutrients and calories. Magnesium and iron definitely come to mind. So like Amber said...eat more nutrient dense food and it should help with the cravings. 

You can do this!

thanks guys, I appreciate all your help!!!!  I made the buttercream for the icing today and I didn't even try it.  I'm even bringing whole30 items so I don't get tempted by all of the goodies that will be there.....

mandm - you should have a look through the Ladies Only section on the forum, lots of really helpful tips for managing period related issues. The one tip I've seen come up time and time again for PMS cravings is more starchy carbs - our bodies are burning through a lot of energy during your period to completely clean out your uterus then start to replenish the lining, so more energy is needed. Its why carb cravings happen, Try a roast sweet potato with some ghee instead of a cupcake or chocolate when the cravings hit and see if that helps.

Archived