I think if you use fresh eggs, wash the shell before you crack it (to get rid of dirt/bacteria that may go in to your mix), use it fairly quickly and keep it refrigerated, you shouldn't have a problem.

I haven't used my boxing gloves in ages - I used to go to a boxing gym as my exercise, but not any more :) I've got gloves and pads at home....should get them out!

Only 1 in 30,000 conventionally raised eggs has salmonella. Salmonella-infected eggs only come from sick hens, so if you get your eggs from a farmer who keeps his flock healthy, pastured, and eating good foods, then your chances are even lower.

The acid that you mix with the egg, be it lemon juice, lime juice or apple cider vinegar basically 'cooks' the egg, along the same lines as lime juice 'cooks' shrimp in civeche.

Kinda true and not true. Citric acid definitely prohibits growth of pathogens but it does not mean foods are safe because lemons or limes exist. Especially true in the case of mayo. The amount of acid is very small in relation to the other ingredients. Know your source. Good eggs from happy chickens are the way to go.

Archived