Starting July 29th

kdegar

sisaacson, I promise not to hold it against you if I hate them! :) I don't mind coconut milk as an ingredient, for example, and I'll cook some things with coconut oil, but I've only tried the virgin coconut oil so far and definitely prefer ghee or olive oil over it. I blame my mom - she hates coconut even more than I do. My dad used to buy Samoas and keep them at his office because of the smell!

I'm eating three meals, with the occasional snack if I need it, but I'm mildly hungry between meals a lot. I have a hard time figuring out how to get enough fat in my meals, which I think is the main issue with the hunger. Cooking oil is no problem, but that's usually not enough. I don't care for avocado on its own (as a chili topping it's great, but I got nauseous when I tried to eat half of one at breakfast last week), so I need to eat more cashews (or get some macadamia nuts) and mayo, I guess.

As you may have figured out, I am a pretty picky eater. This entire Whole30/paleo concept is a big leap for someone who didn't like vegetables till she was 23!

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many meals per day is everyone averaging...?  I've been trying my best to not snack in between meals and hold to the "3 squares a day" rule. But I've been averaging about 4 meals per day.  Each with protein, fat, and veggies. 

Yeah, I start my day really early - 5am. So, sticking to the 3 squares has been really hard for me, especially if I push my workout to the late afternoon. I'm doing a healthy snack or pre-workout meal in the late afternoons usually. I'm trying to make sure I have some carb and fat in that late afternoon one to hold me over until dinner time. I eat breakfast pretty early, usually somewhere around 7:30 and lunch is right when it's supposed to be, around noon or 1pm. But then dinner for us usually isn't until 7pm so that's a really long stretch. 

sisaacson, I promise not to hold it against you if I hate them! :) I don't mind coconut milk as an ingredient, for example, and I'll cook some things with coconut oil, but I've only tried the virgin coconut oil so far and definitely prefer ghee or olive oil over it. I blame my mom - she hates coconut even more than I do. My dad used to buy Samoas and keep them at his office because of the smell!

I'm eating three meals, with the occasional snack if I need it, but I'm mildly hungry between meals a lot. I have a hard time figuring out how to get enough fat in my meals, which I think is the main issue with the hunger. Cooking oil is no problem, but that's usually not enough. I don't care for avocado on its own (as a chili topping it's great, but I got nauseous when I tried to eat half of one at breakfast last week), so I need to eat more cashews (or get some macadamia nuts) and mayo, I guess.

As you may have figured out, I am a pretty picky eater. This entire Whole30/paleo concept is a big leap for someone who didn't like vegetables till she was 23!

How do you feel about guacamole? If you don't mind that as opposed to just plain avocado, you can make some up pretty quickly with my quick method!! It works really well with eggs!

2 avocados smashed with potato masher

2-3 Large Tbsp of a good organic, sugar-free salsa (if you have some homemade, even better!)

1 tsp salt (to taste)

Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime 

1 clove of garlic

5-6 stems worth of cilantro chopped

Chopped onions (to taste)

Put all ingredients together and blend well! 

Hopefully, that can help you get over the avocado taste while still getting you the fat you need. Make some breakfast tacos with butter lettuce leaves and scrambled eggs! Pile some guacamole on top and Voila! Breakfast of champions!!  :D

Great posts today everyone.  It's funny that you should talk about how many meals because I only had two today.  I've had a pretty rigorous last few days of work so I ended up sleeping in til about 9 this morning so I had my coffee first with coconut milk and cinnamon then made breakfast after I fed the girls.  I had leeks and 3 eggs and summer squash and sweet potato fries all scrambled together with mango salsa on top.  I swear that mango salsa is helping me from the gag reflex of the eggs.  I am getting tired of them as well.  I cooked a bunch of brats tonight so I can have "dinner" for breakfast in the morning.  I threw an avocado in the mango salsa so it's more like a salad.  It is so good. And I had the girls help me make it so I am teaching them how to eat healthy as well (I hope). 

But I had breakfast, went to work, came home and made dinner - brats, sweet tater fries, broccoli drizzled with olive oil and ceasar coleslaw : cabbage with dressing made of mayo, garlic and tons of lemon.  I woke up thinking about it this morning.  It is my sister-in-law's recipe but I realized that it was totally whole 30.  I was so excited!!! It is also supposed to have green onions and anchovies but I had neither.  It was still delicious.  I did not have any craving to snack today at all.  I think because I am eating from the template that it is working and I just don't get hungry in between.  Or, maybe that was just today.  We'll see.  

No tiger blood for me yet.  I have not been doing a good job of reading my daily e-mails.  I'm doing good to reply to all y'all.

Keep up the great work everyone!  We are doing good!

My eyes are much better today, still red but swelling has gone down quite a bit....thats what juicing with steroids will get ya

I eat 3 meals a day and I really dont get hungry or snack. If I cant get to lunch before 1300, I will have a few almonds to get me by. For my fat I use ghee on everything, I LOVE ghee!! I need to find a big bucket of it. I usually have huevos rancheros every morning and thats the only way I can eat eggs every morning topped whith avocado. Lunch is very hard for me, I used to eat a lot of salads but finding a hard time finding a dressing, what are you all using for salad dressings? I have made avocado dressing and it was good but looking for more options. Dinner is usually chicken with veggies, today I made salmon with broccoli and small apple.

I cheated today and got on the scale.....I tried but I had to. I was not sad about the number only being down a few pounds because my clothes fit much better than the number. I also feel good, no stomach issues (thank the gods) My skin issues keratosis pillaris (red little bumps on both my upper arms, clogged folicles) are almost gone!! I have paid some good deductibles at the derma office for treatments! and now it almost gone.

My body feels like its craving for exercise, weird.. I hate to exercise.. I do have to change that.

Does anyone have some good recipes for sweet potato mash? I am thinking I would like to make some.

Keep up the good work ladies!! Another day under our belts.

Gabenick2 - So glad your eyes are better.  No fun, I am sure.  For salad dressing I mix up in a little Tupperware chopper:  garlic, olive oil, balsalmic vinegar, basil, mayo, avocado, salt and pepper.  I almost started doing a happy dance in the kitchen when I tasted it...it was so good!!!  Then tonight I made a "ceaser" dressing:  mayo, tons of lemon juice and garlic...YUMMY!!! Very fresh and sparkly.  I put that on cabbage which was a change from lettuce and spinach.  You can add anchovies and green onions to it.  

Writergirljodie, that guac sounds good - thanks! I don't love guac but it's definitely better than eating just avocado. I don't think I realized how little fat I was usually getting before - eating more is just taking some getting used to.

Lees, cooking with your girls is so great! How old are they? (Sorry if you've said before - I'm on my phone and it is a pain in the butt to scroll back through!)

Gabenick, for an everyday salad dressing I love this one from Well Fed. So yummy.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/01/25/tangy-goodness-creamy-italian-dressing/

Another day down!! Go us!

So glad you guys are hanging in  there!

Had an appointment with my primary care doc today and he is also unsure of what is going on, but he took me off the other "diet" thing that was given to me at the urgent care... so I am feeling good about being able to start my Whole 30 again in early september. He said to hold off until I consult with the surgeon and see what is going on. My Surgical appointment is in two weeks, so hopefully I will know better then. I am still on Exercise restrictions... Only allowed 3 miles a day and they have to be SLOW. And no lifting.... :(

I am happy to report that even though I have eaten some noncompliant things, I am still trying my best to stick close with the plan. The good thing is that I made it 12 days, so I know I can make it the whole time when I start again.

Hang in there everyone and keep up the good work!

My eyes are much better today, still red but swelling has gone down quite a bit....thats what juicing with steroids will get ya

I eat 3 meals a day and I really dont get hungry or snack. If I cant get to lunch before 1300, I will have a few almonds to get me by. For my fat I use ghee on everything, I LOVE ghee!! I need to find a big bucket of it. I usually have huevos rancheros every morning and thats the only way I can eat eggs every morning topped whith avocado. Lunch is very hard for me, I used to eat a lot of salads but finding a hard time finding a dressing, what are you all using for salad dressings? I have made avocado dressing and it was good but looking for more options. Dinner is usually chicken with veggies, today I made salmon with broccoli and small apple.

I cheated today and got on the scale.....I tried but I had to. I was not sad about the number only being down a few pounds because my clothes fit much better than the number. I also feel good, no stomach issues (thank the gods) My skin issues keratosis pillaris (red little bumps on both my upper arms, clogged folicles) are almost gone!! I have paid some good deductibles at the derma office for treatments! and now it almost gone.

My body feels like its craving for exercise, weird.. I hate to exercise.. I do have to change that.

Does anyone have some good recipes for sweet potato mash? I am thinking I would like to make some.

Keep up the good work ladies!! Another day under our belts.

I've been feeling the same way about exercise!! WEIRD!!! 

Writergirljodie, that guac sounds good - thanks! I don't love guac but it's definitely better than eating just avocado. I don't think I realized how little fat I was usually getting before - eating more is just taking some getting used to.

Lees, cooking with your girls is so great! How old are they? (Sorry if you've said before - I'm on my phone and it is a pain in the butt to scroll back through!)

Gabenick, for an everyday salad dressing I love this one from Well Fed. So yummy.

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/01/25/tangy-goodness-creamy-italian-dressing/

Another day down!! Go us!

Thanks for the salad dressing recipe link! That sounds amazing!! Interestingly, I made tarter sauce for my family the other night with my homemade mayo. They loved it! But the next day I had some cut up tomatoes and cucumbers that I had fixed up the day before that I wanted to have for lunch. Instead of the EVOO dressing I had made, I pulled out the tarter sauce and mixed that in! It was sooooo good!!! And I had ZERO GUILT about it!! Yay!!! Just having fun experimenting with foods and flavors...so much fun!

Day 14 here.  Had eggs for breakfast this morning and no vomiting side effect - so that's good.  (Must have just been a bug).  

Still no Tiger Blood and in fact I'm very sleepy and feel weak.  No sure what that's all about.  Still having intestinal issues and I guess i need to get back on some Whole30 approved probiotics. Cause it's getting uncomfortable. 

Other than that, I'm about halfway there and plan and sticking to it to the end!

I made the ranch recipe from Well Fed, but added some dill. It was lovely on a salad. Tonight I think I'll grill some salmon with gran onion, gran garlic, salt, white pepper, and wasabi powder. I normally do it just like that, but after seeing the suggestion to spread some mayo on first,I think I'll give it a try.

I have had exercise on the mind as well. I did that kettle bell workout the other day, followed the next day by a circuit workout that included crunches, pushups, jump rope and kick boxing. Shoulda rested. My Fit bit told me yesterday that I didn't move as much as I should because it hurt. I know I'm a wuss.

sisaacson, I was so surprised that that Ranch recipe didn't have dill in it already - I can't imagine Ranch without dill! The Pioneer Woman has a great Ranch recipe that I just tweaked to use all mayo instead of sour cream and buttermilk (makes it more of a dip, of course), but it has Worcestershire which is out for now.

I'm with the rest of you - I'm still tired. I'm getting a consistent 7-8 hours of sleep, which is more than I'm used to (I got six more often than I even like to think about pre-Whole30), so I don't know if my body is still transitioning or if I'm catching up on a deep sleep deficit or what! BUT I put on my "skinny" work pants this morning - the pants I bought because my friend Caroline told me they made my butt look good, even though they were pretty tight at my waist (story of my life) - and they feel like normal work pants! Yay! I don't have a scale, and just looking in the mirror I wasn't 100% sure anything was going on, but these pants don't lie.

Congrats to everyone hanging in there; no, digging deep, transforming and *glowing* while you create your better future. I had a delicious dinner of roasted chicken, avocado, chard and sweet potato with Penzy's Tzardust sprinkled on top. Feeling wonderful!

Does anyone know what to do with the little bag-o-organs from the chicken? Not being a farm girl, I don't what is what and presume I cook them all up together in some fashion, but, uh, ..... Ideas? Guidance?

gardengirl - you can use them for making broth but you can also just boil them and eat them, if it doesn't gross you out too much.  I grew up eating that stuff so I love it and I love liver but I think you gotta kinda like that stuff to eat it just plane.  Has lots of good nutrients.

Jent103 - OMG!  That is so awesome about your  "skinny jeans".  I am so happy for you.  What a great feeling.

Literally gagged on broccoli this morning with breakfast.  I think we are done for awhile.  Right now I am eating ceasar coleslaw (I added anchovies and green onions and I am in heaven) and my new favorite thing, spaghetti squash with compliant sauce from Mario Batali.  SO GOOD!!!  Trying to change it up a bit.  I really want to get that Well Fed cookbook.  Sounds amazing and the mayo I made is to die for.  

I honestly can't remember what day this is.  I have no desire to eat fast food at all or to eat any crap.  It is totally gone.  I love it when that happens.  I remember this from the last W30 I did a couple of years ago.  Such a good feeling.  I think I might be feeling a little Tiger Blood happening. I have a lot of energy but by the end of the day I am tired and sleep well.  

What are people planning to do after the W30?  Stay paleo?

So I did my HIIT class yesterday and knew I'd be sore today and surprisingly I'm not as sore as I would normally be. Have some energy this morning too... But unsure if that is due to Whole30 or cause I'm away from the office for the next two days. Only time will tell. Started taking my probiotics cause I need some relief. Now my gut is feeling much better.

Lees96:Do you have measurements to vinegar/acid, I will be making this as well

Jent: That dressing sounds yummy, I will have to go the store and grab ingredients.

Today is day 19 for me and this morning I feel like I am bouncing with energy, not sure if its the tiger blood or the steroids I am on. I went to bed with energy and I woke up before my alarm went off and I dont feel that I need coffee! This is a good feeling and just hoping its due to my good eating.

I plan on maintaining 90% paleo/whole 30 after my 30 days, I will not add gluten as I know I have issues with it. I do plan on adding 2 glasses of wine a week, and maybe some dairy a few times a week. I am not craving anything but I also dont want to give myself the "go ahead and cheat" because I would be afraid of going back to my old habits. Honestly my fear is that I will gain what I have lost as I have in the past with the low carb stuff and be another "fad".

When I first started I was thinking about how expensive this would all be, in reality though I have saved money because I am not spending the money I was spending ordering out from restaurants almost on a daily basis and I feel soo good (again, I hope its not the steroids giving me the boost of energy).

I am not buying all grass-fed beef,what are you girls purchasing for meat?

I sometimes buy grass fed from a local farm (usually for "big meat cuts") or at our local co-op, but the ground is usually the organic from Costco. I noticed, but didn't buy, bison at Costco a while back, but when I looked for it last week there was none. Has anyone found and tried it?

My post-30 plans are really up in the air! I feel so good that I don't want to compromise that, so will introduce with great intention, but I AM really looking forward to bacon (something I ate maybe three or four times a year), as I have been obsessing about it for the past several weeks. Every day. Funny, it hasn't been chocolate that has filled my daydreams since that is what I consumed pounds of in "my old life." Really. I would eat (with very little help!) an entire "Costco" bag of chocolate chips as a "snack food" each month. Sounds vile now, but my confession is out! Ahhhhhhh. (But I never cared for soda or chips, so I was "more healthy, right??!! Ha!)

Do you all feel like you have arrived at a new normal? Just last night it all felt really natural, following a regular meal prep routine, not so food obsessed about what a meal could be made of. Does this make sense?

Literally gagged on broccoli this morning with breakfast. ...I really want to get that Well Fed cookbook.

What are people planning to do after the W30?  Stay paleo?

I gagged on sweet potatoes last week, so I feel you. ;) Well Fed is great! I think it's definitely worth the $20, but a lot of the recipes are on her blog, so you can start there. In the book she has a great section about how she cooks up for the week, how she puts meals together, that kind of thing.

After Whole30, I'm going to do the reintro as best I can - I'm going on a road trip to Chicago and Michigan over Labor Day weekend with some friends, so I think part of my gluten reintro is going to be Lou Malnati's pizza (which is either a fantastic idea or a terrible idea, so I guess I'll find out). Assuming I don't have major issues with anything - I don't have any reason pre-W30 to think I will, but who knows - I'm planning to stick to this for my home cooking (and cook more!), adding in some quality dairy because I really miss it (things like Greek yogurt and goat cheese), and with a little more flexibility on eating out. I'm shooting for 90/10. But I'm trying not to plan ahead too much till I really see what I feel like on day 30 and how dairy/gluten/whatever affects me.

Jent: That dressing sounds yummy, I will have to go the store and grab ingredients.

When I first started I was thinking about how expensive this would all be... I am not buying all grass-fed beef,what are you girls purchasing for meat?

Yes! One thing to watch out for - the red wine vinegar I usually buy (Publix brand) has added sulfites. I had to read labels till I found one that didn't. Same for balsamic.

I've been trying to think of a lot of the expense as startup costs - things like a $7 bottle of coconut aminos that will last me forever. But buying produce and decent or great meat is just more expensive than buying a lot of rice, potatoes, etc, especially when you have to pay more for non-store-brand vinegar. :) It's a great investment for sure, but taking some readjustment! I get a portion of meat every week from my CSA that's grass-fed or free-range (this week I got two pounds of ground beef, sometimes I get a whole chicken, one week I got sirloin...). For the rest of my meat, if it's ground beef I'll get grass-fed. Otherwise I just do the best I can - I've bought some meat at Whole Foods, some from local farms (we have a farmers' market at work every week, which is great), some of the Publix Greenwise label, and some conventional meat.

DubyaWife, what kind of probiotics do you take?

I babysat for a friend at the last minute last night and ended up getting only 6.5 hours of sleep, so I am dragging today! But it's a good reminder that this used to be my normal.

Gabenick2 - I never measure when I am making something myself so, I'm sorry, I don't have any measurements.  I just kinda dumped it all in the blender and it turned out great.  I don't think you can go wrong.

I buy the organic ground beef from costco but I just get their regular pork chops.  we are on a pretty tight budget so it is hard for me buy grass fed.  I haven't bought any yet but I plan on buying organically raised chicken for my next chicken.  I would reallylike to buy a quarter cow that is grass fed but we don't have the freezer room for it.

I am planning on Paleo after the W30.  When I start to add the stuff in, like pizza, I get into trouble.  I can justify anything,  I don't want to be a freak aboutmy eating but I think if I can just keep up what I've been doing then I am good. Because, like Jent103 said, this is the new normal.  It feels really natural to me and I can kinda think outside the box a little bit to put stuff together.  I am excited to make meals ahead of time when my job starts up again in a few weeks here.  I bought myself one of those eco friendly stainless steel lunchboxes and I am so excited about it.  I also found a really good tea (Good Earth green tea mango, pineapple, papaya) that I've made into iced tea and it is quite a treat.

Got lots of energy.  Feel really good.  And my attitude is incredible.  Stuff can really get to me and piss me off and I haven't felt that way at all.  My husband is not annoying me at all - LOL!

Hey y'all! Feel like its been a while since I posted. I've been wondering about my reintroduction as well. I think I'm going to stick mainly paleo but add in a few things. Like jent103 I'm missing my Greek yogurt!

I try to buy organic but it's expensive. When I don't, I just trim all of the fat off. A few of us at work are looking at buying half a cow and splitting it. It seems like it would average out to just a little it more so may be more affordable.

Lees96....we are almost halfway! ;) it's not even a big thing to eat this way anymore. What a change! I haven't gotten on the scale in a while but pants are getting slightly looser...nothing crazy but less muffin top, hahaha. Feeling worn down but school just started back so we are in meetings all day. Trying to still get my 8 hours though! But underneath the tired I feel good! While I don't see it, really, people are commenting on my glow so ill take it!

Kdegar - great post!  Yes, less muffin top...so true.  Is this day 20?  

Came home last night and my husband had made some spaghetti sauce for him and the girls and it was compliant so I put some on my spaghetti squash - SO GOOD!  I was stuffed.  I love eating this way.  Last night at work they had a taco bar and everyone sat down to eat except me.  I told them that I already had dinner and one of my co-workers, a 19 year old boy who is tall and thin as a rail but not very healthy looking, brought his huge plate of tacos right up to me, tauntingly and said, "You shouldn't be so concerned about how you look...don't you want to be happy?"  Aside from the fact that I wanted to deck him I just simply said, "Yes, I do and eating healthy makes me happy."  EATING HEALTHY MAKES ME HAPPY!  That is not a lie.  When I am not eating this way, I am kinda obsessed about food and, as someone had mentioned in a previous post, I spent more money eating crappy because I was always stopping at fast food places and that adds up quick.  I'm figuring it out.  What I would like to do now is try some more exotic recipes from Nom Nom Paleo or Well Fed.  We live out in the country so if I forget to get coconut aminos, I'm kinda screwed.  Guess I am going to have to plan a little better.

Have a great day today everyone!  Keep calm & eat like a caveman!

Archived