Starting July 29th

kdegar

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked out La Croix website...

What ingredients make up the 'Natural Flavors' in the LaCroix flavors?

The flavors are derived from the natural essence oils extracted from the fruits used in each of our LaCroix flavors. There are no sugars or artificial ingredients contained in, nor added to, these extracted flavors.

So I am assuming I can have ANY of the flavors?

All the La Croix are great.  There is even a grapefruit which is nice.

Well, I made it through my first restaurant experience - I am so excited.  It was tough but not as hard as I thought. We went to Chili's - not sure if everyone has those.  I just assume it is national but maybe not. My hubby ordered chips and salsa for the whole table and everyone was munching on them - that is my favorite crunchy go-to snack. But I didn't have any.  Ordered tilapia without the vinaigrette glaze on top.  It was topped with fresh herbs and mango salsa  It was delicious.  I ordered extra steamed broccoli in place of the rice.  It was great!  I am still hungry though.

Everyone keeps talking about homemade paleo mayo.  I know I could just look it up but any suggestions...?  I would love to have some with a burger.  Great job everyone.  Week one is almost done. 

I sent hubby to target and he grabbed me some La Croix..score!! I will mix it with some fresh mango

I have made paleo mayo, I have read that some individuals have not been able to get the consistency. I followed this video http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/08/19/mayo-how-to-video/ and it turned out perfect:)

I did have to buy light olive oil to make it, it turned out great. The paleo mayo seemed lighter than the regular one. I was surprised it taste better than the real stuff..IMO

Oh man, I love the lime La Croix. So tasty!

Lees, you are an inspiration! I'm impressed with that willpower - it may have taken a few tries but you seem really determined and I am sure you'll make it. Turning down Chili's chips and salsa is no small feat! And on the mayo - it is SO GOOD. I've used Melissa's recipe (the one Gabenick2 linked) and it's turned out perfectly every time. I use my food processor and it's super easy, but she has instructions for a blender too, and I've heard you can do it with an immersion blender.

I'm finally back in town (a two-hour trip turned into five, thanks to an overturned tractor-trailer at the top of a mountain!). I made it through the Italian restaurant okay - they had a grilled veggie salad, so I added shrimp and called it a day. Not my favorite, but not bad at all. This morning was rough - our trip was to do a triathlon. We did relay teams, so I was just doing the run leg. I didn't want to have much in my stomach when I was running, but I seriously underestimated how long I'd be waiting around for my teammates! So I didn't have very much from about 6am till lunch at 11. I was tired and cranky and seriously needed some fuel! Lunch was delicious, though. We went to a local burger place that has grass-fed beef and offers lettuce wraps right on the menu. I had to say no to a lot of amazing-looking burgers with things like barbecue sauce that I was sure had sugar, but ended up having one with tomato relish and a kale salad that was awesome. The only things that made me sad was the lack of cheese and how expensive it was! Getting good veggies plus good protein when you're eating out is not cheap.

Despite my terrible night of hotel sleep last night and all the craziness of today, I'm feeling energetic - maybe I'm turning the corner?! Week one is DOWN, y'all. On to week 2!

Congrats to everyone for making it through week 1! From everyone's stories it seems that we were able to avoid temptation and get through the Crazy "Kill all the things" Train. I think that was the worst part for me ... the moodiness I had Days 2-4.... Wow, just wow!

Saturday was a good day, no slips and no urge to slip. I went to the store and got some pork shoulder to make carnitas, along with other necessary foods for the week. I also got ingredients to make cake cookie things for the better half and the kids. I made a funfetti base with choc and peanut butter chips, and did not even feel the need to lick the spoon or anything. It was nice to see everyone enjoy them, didn't really miss them.

Sunday was a tricky day, Stopped at my Gparents house and to see some family and they brought out they good lunchmeat and rolls. Normally I have no self control at their house, so I just don't eat there. I made my Better Half a sandwhich and we 'shared" a plate, so no one noticed I didn't eat any of the food.  Got home and had some left over skillet steaks and veggies.

But the Carnitas I made were AWESOME. Here's the link:

http://www.thefoodee.com/recipe/6607/

I did modify it a bit, I cut the amout of chili powder to 1/4 teaspoon because my better half isn't into spice. I did also add 1/4 teaspoon of 100% unsweetened cocoa, because I like the richness it brings with the spicy.  I used the crockpot method and rubbed the pork and then put in on the onions and garlic in the crockpot with only a 1/2 cup of water. I set it on Low for 3 hours. It was very tender by then, so I then shredded it and placed in some stone dishes (with sides) and poured the remaining juices from the crockpot over them. I then baked them in the oven at 350 until as crispy as I liked. I then actually moved the shredded meat around and crisped it twice.... the result was an amazing dish. My Better Half made amazing sandwiches with it, I had mine over salad with some spicy salsa.

Day 8!?! Last week it seemed like this was going to stretch on forever and ever.... now I feel like I can do this!I agree with Lees96, I don't think I would be as successful if I wasn't making myself accountable to the board. It is a huge help!

Good morning, everyone!  

Week 2 is here!  I found my perfect coffee combo.  I am so excited! I got coconut milk so I put that in a pan on the stove with some coconut cream and a touch of cinnamon, heated it all up and then added to my coffee.  Creamy and yummy.

Jent103,  I've been thinking about you - Nice job!  Not only did you run as part of a relay in a triathalon but you did great eating out and at relatives homes.  That is no easy feat.  I really struggle with family.  The food is always so good plus I have heard my bro-in-law bitch about how weird it is to do Paleo and why would anyone ever do that. So, it's always a challenge.  One thing that really gets to me is how expensive it is to eat well.  You can eat all the high fructose corn syrup and processed food you want for cheap but once you go organic or grass fed, watch out!  I am heading to Costco today.  They have organic chicken and beef and it is not cheap.  But it is not a bad bargain.

My cupboard is a bit bare.  I am having sweet potato hash with two uncured hot dogs and some raspberries.

Week 2 - Here we come!!!!!  Have a great Day 8 everyone!

Good Morning girls!

I went to bed with a headache last night but I do feel that I am sleeping like a baby. I am still having to use topical steroids for my skin issues and waiting for it to go away, last time it was around day 14. I have to look into purchasing containers so I can pack my lunch, I have not been eating lunch until I get home and thats becoming harder as I hit the wall sometimes. I did purchase an ice chest at costco yesterday for my car. I am a hospice nurse and my car is my office.

Today the family is requesting anything besides chicken. They are requesting enchiladas for dinner..... I cannot make them, I dont think I am ready for that yet so the hubby will be making them as I hide in my room.

When some yummy food comes to mind, I think about the post here... I think this is also a great way to keep myself accountable for what I put in my mouth.

Oh and I forgot to add, I had a good run yesterday with the Better Half. We are running a Half marathon Relay over Labor day weekend (I have the longer leg) and I felt Good, even when we sprinted the last half mile!

Lunch was good today, although I realized I forgot my container of veggies at home. Oh well, I had a good protion of my carnitas from last night, some blueberries, and some almonds.

I do feel like I have a good amount of energy throughout the day now, and my workouts are pretty good... not sure I would go as far as to say "tiger blood" quite yet, but I am lifting heavy legs tonight, so will see. I also have a morning run scheduled with my run buddy at 6am tomorrow, that will be the true test.

Had a little trouble sleeping last night, but had some stuff on my mind. The better half and I are recently engaged and are getting married next year. Kids came home from their mom's last night, no longer excited about being in the wedding and kindof ignoring/ short with me. I know I shouldnt take it personal, casue they are just kids... but it still hurts because before they went to their mom's for the weekend they were so Excited about it.... I tried to shake it off, but when I got up at 5 this morning to do some early morning work for about 15 minutes, then tried to fall back asleep, it was all I could think about.... Okay so enough about me....

How is Day 8 for everyone else?

I've been lurking but figured I should update my progress thus far. 

Technically I had to restart on August 1st, but if you don't count the one flub up I'm on Day 9.  

Starting to feel very tired and drowsy today... which according to the timeline I'm definitely in the "I want to take a nap" phase.  

This weekend was very hard but I'm so proud of how I did.  I had a conference all day on Saturday and a wedding that night, I packed my food and ate before the wedding.  While there I was able to resist temptation of yummy foods and even wedding cake.  

Last night I spent the better part of it prepping food for the week and I should be good to go. 

So besides being sleepy I'm doing well.  

[On a separate note, finally found a good doctor/nutritionist who recommended me getting an ALCAT (food intolerance) test and get my adrenal gland tested. Excited to see what those results will be.]

I'm sleepy and cranky today, but I'm pretty sure that has more to do with a terrible night of sleep in the hotel Saturday and work being frustrating than anything Whole30! I'd probably be feeling worse if I'd had a burger and fries yesterday. :)

DubyaWife, way to go! That's awesome. MadScience - that *is* a lot on your mind. I'm sorry. Hopefully things will be a little better after the kids have been back awhile?

So I'm obviously joining this very late...but I started July 29 too.  I'm glad to find some people going through this with me.  I've been paleo most of the summer and am hoping by doing the whole30 will jumpstart some weightloss.  I've been struggling this week with snacking, especially at night.  I know it's a mind game and something I need to work on/get over.  The beginning of the week went really well, but the last 2 days have really been a struggle.  I just want cheese!  :)

Oh and I forgot to add, I had a good run yesterday with the Better Half. We are running a Half marathon Relay over Labor day weekend (I have the longer leg) and I felt Good, even when we sprinted the last half mile!

Lunch was good today, although I realized I forgot my container of veggies at home. Oh well, I had a good protion of my carnitas from last night, some blueberries, and some almonds.

I do feel like I have a good amount of energy throughout the day now, and my workouts are pretty good... not sure I would go as far as to say "tiger blood" quite yet, but I am lifting heavy legs tonight, so will see. I also have a morning run scheduled with my run buddy at 6am tomorrow, that will be the true test.

Had a little trouble sleeping last night, but had some stuff on my mind. The better half and I are recently engaged and are getting married next year. Kids came home from their mom's last night, no longer excited about being in the wedding and kindof ignoring/ short with me. I know I shouldnt take it personal, casue they are just kids... but it still hurts because before they went to their mom's for the weekend they were so Excited about it.... I tried to shake it off, but when I got up at 5 this morning to do some early morning work for about 15 minutes, then tried to fall back asleep, it was all I could think about.... Okay so enough about me....

How is Day 8 for everyone else?

MadScienceM---I've been there! How old and what age? It was very hard to try and make *my* event special when you know it's hard on the kids. This worked for me---don't know if it will work for you but it's just a suggestion! At the time, my stepdaughter was 6 so I bought her a silver charm bracelet and added a heart for the wedding, a flower since she was the flower girl and a panda (bc those were her favorite). She was so excited to get to wear her "big girl" jewelry at the wedding. Like  I said, just a thought!  It will get better---and congrats!

Day 8 is getting better...started off ROUGH! I got up at 430 to go to the gym with my running buddy and realized I had nothing to eat :/  So i had a banana with almond butter but by the time I got back home I was STARVING and the last thing I wanted to do was cook anything. I almost just had a waffle--but then I remembered all of you! so...I ate a handful of almonds while I cooked up some eggs and spinach. Physically, I'm feeling great. I feel like i've lost weight/look thinner (not that this is the reason I'm doing whole30). I feel strong and I ran 4 miles for the first time since March. My face is finally clearing up! I guess that's just a side effect of cleansing all the crud out of your body but I really didn't like it! I realized last night that I didn't have a snack all day...and I didn't want one! I'm so happy I stuck it out through week 1. I feel like I can definitely make it the whole 30 days.

MadScienceM---I've been there! How old and what age? It was very hard to try and make *my* event special when you know it's hard on the kids. This worked for me---don't know if it will work for you but it's just a suggestion! At the time, my stepdaughter was 6 so I bought her a silver charm bracelet and added a heart for the wedding, a flower since she was the flower girl and a panda (bc those were her favorite). She was so excited to get to wear her "big girl" jewelry at the wedding. Like  I said, just a thought!  It will get better---and congrats!

There are 3, 8 (girl), 9 (girl), and 10(boy). Better Half asked his son to be best man and I asked the girls to be junior bridesmaids. They were really excited, because they already have a step dad, so they were excited to be gaining a step mom. I *think* that it's just because they were home with their mom, the dynamic and rules are completely different in each household, which stresses them out a bit. I was trying to think of things that would make it special for them, so thanks for the bracelet idea! That may be something I can work with.  I know things will return to our "normal" once they are back in the household.

Tracy, welcome! and keep up the good work!!!!

Kdegar- so glad you stepped away from the waffle... funny, I think alot of us know that we have to be accountable to each other. I had a brief moment when I thougth about just quitting it, then I felt bad, cause I didn't want to have to admit to quitting on here, or just mysteriously disappearing... which would be just as bad!

I am doing my first early morning run tomorrow, so we will see how it goes... hopefully I will stay out of the kid's ceral after!

Hi everyone - I have also been very quiet on the chat front. I started on 29 as well and am going pretty well I think.  However whilst it is great to read the forum and see that others are going through the same stages as me I agree that to be part of it and make myself accountable will make me so much stronger.  I am in Christchurch in New Zealand and have only recently discovered the world of paleo eating and from that Whole 9 and Whole 30.  It immediately struck a chord in me as I am really interested in where my food comes from and try to keep out as much of the crap as possible.  Having said that my health has not been brilliant and, combined with a bit of earthquake stress, my husband and I have not been feeling great for about 6 months.  So enter the power of great food and the banishment of sugar, processed carbs and rubbish.  My lovely husband is doing the whole 30 with me despite being fit, handsome and totally reliant on 2 sugars in about 6 cups of tea everyday!  We have survived the first week of sugar withdrawal (no divorce and the kids are intact) and he is out the otherside and feeling great.  I am taking longer - I have less issues with sugar but I feel quite a fragile trust in the way I eating (too reliant on instant results I think!) so this second week will be tough I think - especially as I feel a bit jealous of husband!!  Food is a bit of a challenge here as finding great quality ingredients is not that easy (small market forces for that sort of thing) but it is there if I am organised!  My only top recipe tip to offer is lemon, olive oil, garlic and tahini dressing - could eat a cardboard box with that poured over it!!  I'll keep touch from the bottom of the world!!  

Had a great lifting day last night at the gym, even added in some new exercises on the leg press. Although my Right Quad cramped on me during training, it didnt have an effect on my session. It was a little sore last night, so I rolled it out with my tiger tail. I woke up this morning to go running and realized it still hurt a little. So I decided to not run this morning, because part of this whole30 is to listen to our bodies, right?

Could someone please inform my mind that's what I am doing... cause I am feeling extremely guilty and like I let myself down for not getting up to run at 5:30 this morning. I mean, it might have run the soreness out of my legs, or I may have ended up walking because of it. Part of me is like, taking more than 12 hours rest time between lifting and running isn't a bad thing, and the other part of my mind is like : stop being a wimpy girl... just run. did I mention I may be crazy?

But, good breakfast in, had some eggs, mushrooms and sweet potato. Feel good this morning (except for my quad). How is everyone doing on Day 9?

Welcome charlieH- so glad you guys made it through the first week without divorce or maimed kids... first week is a challenge, but you did it! Keep it up!

Welcome, charlieh! That's so great that your husband is doing it with you. I completely identify with the jealousy, though. My brother has lost 30 pounds in the last three months or so - it seems to come so easy for him. In my head I know that's because he was eating junk and not moving before, and now he's motivated and has his diet and exercise managed by his personal trainer fiancee :), but it's a little maddening to see other people seeing great results so fast when you've been working hard too! I keep telling myself that I'm committed for 30 days no matter what, and to not judge any of this one way or the other till day 30. It works sometimes. :)

Madscience, I am totally with you on when to "listen to my body" and when to push through. I don't work out quite as much as you do, but my main exercise is going to a boot camp class 3-4 times a week. Lately I've been feeling pretty banged up, and I wonder if I should take a break, but I really like doing the weight work especially and I know I'm stronger thanks to the classes. And I also feel like I'm wimping out if I modify the exercises (no jumping, etc) when I'm not technically injured, just hurting enough to make me notice when I run sometimes. It can be hard to know what's best! But I think you did the right thing.

Boot camp was rough this morning - still stiff and tired from the tri/road trip this weekend, but I made it through and had a good breakfast (sweet potatoes with Aidell's chicken & apple sausage, one scrambled egg, kale salad and half a peach). Feeling sleepy but in a decent mood! How's everyone else?

Today was pretty good. Went to an health store and found some sugar free hot sauce and sugar free sausage...yay!!!! I also bought some lara bars :) made some more frittatas for breakfast and cooked a couple of sirloins for lunch and dinner. I am really craving a glass of wine tonight. I just keep reminding myself of how far we've come an how good I feel. My workouts still aren't where I'd like hm to be...especially running. Having a lot of shin pain. But at least I have the energy to work out! How was everyone else's day 9?

Hey everybody - Welcome to all the new people!  I am so glad you are here.  

Day 9 went awesome!  I had a banana and almonds for breakfast.  I packed a lunch because we did a trade show today.  My Boss had already bought by lunch ticket for hot dog, chips and pop but I told him I couldn't eat it - I had a little twinge of, ooohhh, I should just eat normal - but I didn't.  I brought 1/2 an avocado, Greek olives and salmon salad,  which I made with red onion and home made mayo - HOLY CRAP!!!!  I made home made mayo last night  -  Poeple, why are we buying it?  It was so easy and it is so good!!! Couldn't believe it. Then I had an apple and almonds for snack. For dinner I made mango salsa with avocado, mango, cilantro, lime juice, red onion and red bell pepper - so yummy.  I put that on top of 1/2 chicken breast and 1/2 pork chop.  I sauteed up beans from our garden in olive oil and we had a green salad.  All in all - a good day.

except - I've got the sugar cravings back.  I am really craving dessert tonight.  And I have been sluggish and tired and kind of checked out all day.  Which brings me to exercise.  I have not been exercising at all.  I like to run and lift weights and all that.  But i have been spread a little thin lately with work and running the kids around and helping my Mom that exercise has taken a back seat. I love exercising, so it's not that.  I listen to MadscienceM and Jent103 talking your exercising and it sounds great.   I really admire your exercise regimen.  

MadscienceM - That must be really tough with your stepkids.  I have been thinking about you a lot.  I don't have any experience with that but I just wanted you to know that you have been in my thoughts.  I wish you all the best with your upcoming wedding!  How fun and exciting!

OK - Hope everyone had a great day 9!  We are doing it, people.  We are doing it.

"Poeple, why are we buying it? It was so easy and it is so good!!! Couldn't believe it."

RIGHT?! It's so good. I just made the avocado dressing in ISWF to take to a taco bar dinner party tomorrow. That mayo is one reason it's so delicious! I'm going to have some with lunch tomorrow too and see if it helps keep me from getting hungry in the afternoon.

Today was pretty good! Aside from being cooped up in my office all day, but what do you do? Someone left half a bag of Fritos in our break room. That sounded really, really good. I pictured my insulin spiking and managed to get out of there before they got me! Lees, sometimes life totally gets in the way, and it sounds like you have a pretty crazy schedule. Hopefully exercise will get back in it soon! I know it's a stress reliever and something I miss when I don't make it.

Day 9 in the books - after tomorrow we'll be 1/3 of the way done, y'all. Stick with it!!

Archived