Starting July 29th

kdegar

I usually eat 2 eggs every morning. I usually make my eggs..saute onions with fresh garlic and add tomato, beat the eggs and add cilantro and I top it with fresh avocado. I tried the sweet potato a few times and it was very good but one day it just would not go down and I had to take a break from it.

I have made sliders and season the ground beef and chop bacon in my mini food processor and add the meat. I saute onions and will top it off with guacamole.

I am getting tired of chicken! I need to stay away from it for a few days. I plan on making some fish this weekend.

Its day 13 for me and I am hoping once I get to 15, it will give me the boost that I need.

I had to reschedule my anniversary dinner to the end of the month, I want to enjoy the day and not be a crab due to the fact I cannot have a glass of wine.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay 29ers

After spending most of the day at a local urgent care center and having tons of tests done, I think my Whole 30 is up. I got horrible abdominal pain today and had several tests done and have to consult with a Surgeon early next week. I didn't have the kidney stones as they though, but the source of my incredible abdominal pain has not been found. The pain is on my LEFT side and they did find an ovarian cyst and a benign tumor in my kidney on my Right side.  Since they cannot readily ID the source, I have been advised against hard core exercise (guess no 15 miler for me sunday!) and to eat a very bland diet... which is not Whole30 compliant. I know I could probably continue on eating compliant, but I am a little worried about the consequences and if it will cause me any more pain.... and I have ZERO appetite right now.

I just want to say that I am cheering for each and everyone of you and I know you all can do it... I will keep checking in and seeing how everyone is doing and I will be back in the saddle once I figure out what is going on.....

Thanks to all of you for your support and love during the first 12 days, I never would have made it without you

Oh my goodness, MadscienceM - I'm so sorry! Definitely not the time for Whole30ing. I hope you get it figured out and dealt with quickly and that it ends up being a minor issue. Feel better soon! And yes, from one guilt-ridden exerciser to another, no 15-miler!

MadsicenceM- I hope they figure out whats going on. I had abdominal pain about a yr ago and I thought something was rupturing inside of me, it ended up being a ruptured cyst and have had issues ever since. I hope they figure out soon the source of the pain.

The whole 30 will always be here, take care of yourself.

MadscienceM - Oh my goodness, I am so sorry that you are just not feeling right.  I wish you all the best with figuring out what is going on.  My neighbor has had a year of that - sick, not able to eat, not hungry, severe gut pain...It has been really tough for them.  So, I hope they can figure out what the problem is so that you can take care of it and get on with your life.  I'm not going to be out running 15 milers - I'm countin' on you to get back in the saddle  ;) I must admit that I got a little teary eyed reading your post.  You will really be missed by all of us. It was cool that you and Jent 103 were able to connect on a professional level.  And I have really enjoyed your writing honestly about what is going on in your life. You will always be a 7/29er.

Good night, dear W30ers.  Day 12 is done.  Feel good about what you are doing.  I do.  

and I am starting to wear a little more form fitting clothes and I think I am noticing...could it be?  Yes, it is...my waist!!!

nighty, night y'all.

Good Morning Ladies..

Last night we went out for dinner and I had a dinner salad with balsamic vinegar and I ordered steak with crab legs/lemon. I was so proud that I was not even tempted to touch the fresh warm bread sitting right in front of me.

I wore some pants that were a big snug when I wore them last and I was so happy when I put them on and I was able to hold on to extra fabric!! I could easily have used one size smaller! That is what held me back from ordering my glass of wine.

Today I have to figure out whats for breakfast, need to come up with a new way to make eggs as I woke up starving this morning.

We are almost half way done!!!!

Morning y'all! I finally feel like my baby belly is shrinking! It's still not flat but it does look flatter...which is a start! Was "bad" this morning and started off with just a Lara bar for snack before swim practice. But I came home and had 2 of those sweet potato burgers topped with avocado, prosciutto wrapped asparagus and a salad with balsamic. Yummy! Tried the other recipe last night...not bad! It's still a little eggy for my taste but I think if you upped the cinnamon it may help. It's for something called a cafloutti? (Spelling?) I found the recipe online and modified it a bit.

6 eggs, 1 cup coconut milk, 2 tbs melted coconut oil, Pinch of salt, 1.5 tsp cinnamon (like I said I would increase), and then 1.5 cups (total) of blueberries and chopped up apples. Mix everything together but the fruit. Pour into a 8x8 pan. Sprinkle fruit on top Cook at 400 for about 40 minutes. I topped mine with a bit of coconut cream and cinnamon and ate with a piece of breakfast sausage,

Oh yea, make sure to grease the pan!!

Ha! It was delicious for dinner last night. I didn't feel like cooking vegetables so just reheated some mashed butternut squash with ginger and cinnamon. I didn't realize it was desert...I found it online under someone's breakfast recipes

Madscience, how are you feeling today? I hope much better!

Kdegar, that sounds delicious and similar to a recipe on a Whole9 blog post a week or so ago with meal plans for the August 1 group. They pointed that other recipe out and said it was a little fruit-heavy for the morning, so IF sugar is a battle for you it might be best to skip it, but they didn't outlaw it at all. Here's the link -

http://whole9life.com/2013/07/whole30-meal-plans/

I'm about to try the NomNom Paleo frittatas with prosciutto - maybe I'll eat my eggs if they look cute! I had what was supposed to be last night's dinner for breakfast, and I was so happy it didn't have sweet potatoes or eggs that I didn't care that the steak was dried out. :) I ended up meeting some friends for dinner and eating the insides of some tacos (just steak, cilantro, onion with some guac) and a side of tomatoes with balsamic. The tacos weren't great, but I was so happy that it wasn't something I cooked that I almost didn't care!

Off to cook up some proteins after I just woke up from a power nap. I really hope this tiredness goes away soon - I ran errands all morning and was so tired when I got home, despite sleeping pretty well. My cookup was going to include Sunshine Sauce till I realized I don't have coconut aminos. Whoops. I'll have to decide how much I want it!

Okay 29ers

After spending most of the day at a local urgent care center and having tons of tests done, I think my Whole 30 is up. I got horrible abdominal pain today and had several tests done and have to consult with a Surgeon early next week. I didn't have the kidney stones as they though, but the source of my incredible abdominal pain has not been found. The pain is on my LEFT side and they did find an ovarian cyst and a benign tumor in my kidney on my Right side.  Since they cannot readily ID the source, I have been advised against hard core exercise (guess no 15 miler for me sunday!) and to eat a very bland diet... which is not Whole30 compliant. I know I could probably continue on eating compliant, but I am a little worried about the consequences and if it will cause me any more pain.... and I have ZERO appetite right now.

I just want to say that I am cheering for each and everyone of you and I know you all can do it... I will keep checking in and seeing how everyone is doing and I will be back in the saddle once I figure out what is going on.....

Thanks to all of you for your support and love during the first 12 days, I never would have made it without you

Oh no!! I'm so sorry you're having so much trouble. Yes, definitely take some time off from the Whole30 and get yourself well again. I hope they can figure out what's causing the pain quickly so that you can work on getting yourself back up and running at 100%. You will definitely be missed, but you have to put yourself first. Feel better soon!! And good luck! I hope it's nothing too serious.  ^_^

Good morning, everyone! 

It's a beautiful Sunday morning here in SoCal and I love the early morning hours before the rest of my household gets out of bed. That's when I write in my journal, watch the hummingbirds play around my feeder, listen to my water fountain and enjoy the silence. This is also when I like to catch up with all of your posts and see how everyone is doing. I don't always get to write a post because I spend too much time reading all of yours! LOL!

But today begins day 20 for me. I can't believe I'm almost done with 3 weeks of this!! Unbelievably it's become easier to do since the beginning! I'm really enjoying how truly amazing I feel now. I'm almost tempted to never drink wine again. (Blasphemy, I know!) But I seriously just feel that good. 

I see a lot of you are having trouble with eggs. I love them. I can eat them every day and have for a long time. I do find different ways to enjoy them, though. I can cook them many ways. This week, I've been poaching them mostly. I love them that way. I love frittatas, omelettes, and baked eggs. I like to make a crustless quiche sometimes, too. And I eat them with things like chili, as was yesterday's breakfast. That's yummy!!

If eggs are too much to do every day, though, I like to have dinner for breakfast. To me, eggs taste different at different times in the day. So, maybe flipping your meals is a way to offset how eating eggs makes you feel. Breakfast for dinner...always a fun thing to do, too.

Yesterday, my husband had a little scare. A couple of years ago he noticed blood in his stool and went to the emergency room. Turns out he had a fissure in his rectum that would open up when his stool hardened too much. Mind you, his stool, to him, seemed pretty normal, not hard at all. Just not soft. He opened this fissure a couple of times and each time had to go to the ER where they gave him some suppositories and told him to eat bland food for a bit until the fissure healed. Well, I changed his diet (because I had to change mine and changed everyone else's too) and he hasn't had a problem in nearly two years.

But, his oldest son was here for the summer and we've had "unusual" foods in the house for all the boys (there were 3 altogether, not including my husband) that they liked to eat - real bread, cereal, milk, doughnuts, croissants, cheese, mac & cheese, regular pasta, pizza, cookies - all the things that I never buy. Well, my husband has been partaking in the "kids" food items over the past month. He text me while he was on a short trip for work saying that I needed to get his diet cleaned up again. His fissure problem was back with a vengeance. Yikes!

I've been doing this Whole30 by myself this whole time. And I really don't mind it at all. I've gotten pretty strong with my will power. But getting my husband back to a diet closer to what I'm doing will be nice. He doesn't like veggies (What is it with men and veggies? Mine acts as bad as my 8 yr old!) but I'm getting pretty good at hiding them for him. And I make him smoothies with spinach hidden inside most days just to get more green veggies into his body! It will be nice to have him eating more like the way I'm eating again. Yay!

I made my first successful homemade mayo yesterday! Thank you Melissa Joulwan!!! Her method proved to be the key factor. I think when I had tried it before I didn't let the egg and acid come together in harmony long enough. I also didn't let them get to true room temperature. But yesterday I made it perfectly!! I'm so excited! I will NEVER buy store bought mayo again. My 12 yr old said, "This is better than any other mayo I've ever tasted!" And that was all I needed to hear!! Yay for homemade mayo!! I'm eager to make some egg and tuna salad with it today. Yum!

Sorry my post is so long! I feel like I haven't had a chance to catch up in days. I hope everyone has a lovely Sunday full of sunshine and laughter! I wanna get outside today. But first, I'm starving!! Time to get busy cooking again.

By the way, is anyone else starting to feel less hungry? I actually didn't eat a real dinner last night, which was bad. But I just didn't feel like eating. And that's highly  unusual for me. But, seriously, this is not the first time I haven't felt like eating by the end of the day. I've started eating smaller meals in the evening for this reason. But last night was the first night I actually really didn't eat. I ate a plum. WTH? Hahahaha!! So, if you're feeling the same way, let me know!! I'm wondering why I'm losing appetite at the end of the day, especially when I'm working out so much, too. Just curious....

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!! 

Happy Sunday! Y'all are Almost halfway :). I'm sitting down after a morning of prepping lots of yummy food for this week. I'm a little nervous with school starting back that I'll fall bck into bad snacking habits. Trying to make tons if food so that won't be n issue!

Tried another recipe last night. The coconut curry butternut squash soup on Pinterest. I ended up adding lots more ginger an pepper bc I love spicy food. I cut up an mixed in a couple of Italian sausages for lunch today. I love the mix of spicy an savory! I hope y'all are having a good day 14 as well!

Anyone else having <ahem> digestion issues...?

It's Day 11 and I'm still having inconsistent BMs and cramping when I do...

I'm sure it's the change of diet but I would think with the increase in veggies and therefore fiber I'd be doing better... Not worse.

Thoughts?

Its day 15 for me!! half way there.yay

Dubyawife- I was having the same issues with inconsistency around the same time. I am not having those issues any longer..thank the gods

today I do not feel like cooking, I have pink eye and my eyes are half shut. I went shopping yesterday and I was able to try on clothes 2 sizes smaller, I was tempted to buy some clothes but I think I will wait. Part of me is very happy and the other part is "what if.... I gain it right back" Im afraid of dropping then I will derail like I have done many times with other stuff. Although, I will try my hardest to maintain paleo.

Today I have to figure out lunch and dinner, I find myself getting lazier with my planning. I need to figure out dinner for the week and plan grocery trip so I can send the hubby tonight.

We can do this!!

Dubyawife.....ahem, yes and I'm just finishing day 14.  :unsure:

Gabenick2.....wow 2 sizes huh?  That is pretty amazing! 

I wish I were 2 sizes smaller.  Reading comments like that give me hope, but it also makes me wonder why my clothes are fitting exactly the same.  I hate to compare myself to others, but this forum helps us relate to each other and what we are going through.  I don't feel smaller or lighter or anything of that nature????  I will not give up, but I have to say.....I am pretty sceptical that I won't experience any of the positive parts of the whole30.  Patience is not my strong suit. 

Yes 2 sizes, BUT remember this is also my 3rd attempt at whole 30 with maybe 6 days off total.

Today its salmon with mango salsa and side of broccoli, nice change from chicken. I have started craving fruits, weird. My appetite continues to be less than previous week, I am getting fuller faster.

Today I went to urgent care, both my eyes were swollen shut this am, I was started on prednisone and I am afraid of the hunger it will trigger.

Almost another day down!!

writergirljodie, congratulations on the mayo! I felt so triumphant the first time I did it. I made this basil aioli last night to put on burgers and use as a dip this week - so yummy.

The eggs and I are still fighting a losing battle. The mini frittatas are cute, and I'm sure at a brunch or something I'd enjoy them, but I'm just so tired of eggs! I think tomorrow I'm going to eat a little protein post-workout and then take breakfast to eat at work. That will help with me getting to work at a reasonable hour :) and maybe if it's later, the eggs will taste better? Breakfast is the hardest part. I don't really feel deprived at other meals (my dinner tonight was delicious), but it's hard for me to get all the protein and fat in in the morning, especially when I'm missing my usual what-I-thought-was-healthy breakfast.

DubyaWife, I was having some issues last week. The timeline mentions it, so I wasn't totally taken off guard, but it's not fun! Have you tried Natural Calm? It's basically a magnesium supplement. A friend of mine has been using it for awhile so I had had some before from her. Last week I ordered a can of the original flavor - not as tasty as some of the others, but they're all sweetened with stevia, so they're out for now. You have to gradually up your dose (otherwise you'll have issues of the opposite sort!), but I think it helps. Some people also take it to help with sleeping.

I've spent most of the last two afternoons cooking - carnitas, frittatas, roasted chicken, burgers, chili and pork chops. I'll have to pack dinners to eat at work at least three days this week because I have plans after, so I had to be prepared. I'll be ready to be done with Whole30 if for no other reason than I can not have to pack 2-3 meals a day! There are several places around where I can eat Paleo pretty well, but the salad dressings/cooking oil/salsa/whatever are probably not Whole30 compliant.

colandlala, I was talking to my friend who's done two Whole30s today and she asked how I'm feeling. I told her fine, but not magical. :) She said for day 14 she thought I was right on track. So I'm right there with you! I feel like part of my stomach might be smaller (that's where I carry most of my extra weight), but I'm definitely still wearing the same clothes and all that.

Gabenick, I'm so sorry about your eye and the steroids! Those are not fun even when you're not doing Whole30. Maybe eating the good food will help keep the hunger a little at bay?

End of Day 14, y'all - we are doing it!

Gabenick2....Thanks for the clarification.  I was thinking you were down 2 sizes in 14 days.  That made me feel REALLY inadequate as I am still feeling pretty much the same size-wise.

Jent103, thanks for the feedback on your friend who said you were on track for day 14.  That gives me hope!!

Day 15!  Half way!  Keep making the right choice.....

Archived