Starting July 29th

kdegar

Good morning, y'all!  Doing good.  I have really bad leg cramps though.  Not sure what that is about.  Haven't had a banana for weeks but I thought that sweet taters were loaded with potassium. It was my calves in the middle of the night last night.  I got a really bad one in my hamstring the other day that almost didn't go away - very painful.  Would exercise help?  I'm sure it would.  exercise helps everything.

Had chicken breast with mango salsa, home grown beans sauteed in olive oil, sweet potato fries and home grown cucumbers for dinner last night.  It was great to feed my whole family fresh food.  Trying as best I can to stay on target with eating from the template.  It is kind of getting ingrained in me which is good.  My breakfast used to be almonds or cashews and an apple or banana.  I really want to try the prosciutto frittata that everyone is talking about.  jent103 - let me know how the sunshine sauce turns out...where in the world do I get coconut aminos?  whole foods?

What day is this by the way?  14?  I was in the trenches of work all weekend so I kind of lost a couple of days.

Have a great day whatever day this is :) Hang in there!  Let me know how you are doing, k?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I didn't read a bunch of these before I posted.  

colandlala - I am just trying to follow the plan and do what they tell me because I am not really seeing any results either.  My clothes fit the same way, too.  I still feel big.  But I have started to wear more form fitting clothes.  Like, some of my favorite t-shirts are tighter so I have pulled those out, dusted those off and forced myself to wear them.  I may not be looking great but I do feel better so I am dressing as if I look the way I want to.  Hang in there.  It took me two years to gain the 40 pounds that I gained.  It's not coming off in two weeks.  But I know that I am giving it a great start.

which brings me to my next point that a few of you touched on...I am not as hungry as I used to be either.  It is weird because when I was eating crappy I was starving all the time, well when I wasn't stuffed with crap.  I have been really trying to stick to the template and not snack.  That has been my goal for the past couple of days is trying to not snack.  My meals have been large and I haven't necessarily been able to finish them all but I find that I am snacking less.  

I really want to try a lot of the recipes that you all have been talking about.  I am not one of those people who plans meals for the week and then grocery shops accordingly but my work schedule is going to pick up the second week in Sept. I know that I am going to need to prepare better otherwise I will be at the mercy of C-stores and that is bad.  I am on the road for work so I was thinking about getting a little cooler or lunch box to take with me.

OK - I think this is Day 15, right?  WE ARE HALFWAY THERE, PEOPLE!  well, except for Kdegar and I who are going  whole 40!!!!

Happy Day 15 fellow 29ers! I've been away for several days on a work trip to a regional meeting. One of those hotel meetings where breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided. Usually breakfast is scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and potatoes with a fruit plate. I walked in and saw muffins, bagels, crossiants, pastries and a fruit plate.

I got to know the catering coordinator pretty well, and asked for boiled eggs for breakfast and lunch. Dinner had a few more options. it was hard, very hard. I ate pretty much all raw veggies and boiled eggs Sunday night until Thursday at noon.

All that is to say, it sure did give a different perspective. I wasn't tempted to cheat, but when you talk about growing weary of something....by Thursday night I was frustrated. When I finally got to eat some cooked food with flavor and I didn't have to worry about eating around the cheese, or wiping the meat clean with cocktail napkins I realized this program isn't really that limiting. Getting home opened up a whole world of choices and options. I sauteed red peppers, mushrooms, zuchinni, onions, bok choy, the greens separately, roasted spaghetti squash, steamed cauliflower, and browned up some bison on Saturday. I also removed some smoked pulled pork from the freezed I had prepared last month and grilled a steak. I made the mayo.....OH THE MAYO! All that is in my fridge just waiting to see what I'll do with it.

Saturday night, I heated chicken stock, onions, garlic, cilantro, red peppers, spaghetti squash, thinly sliced jalapeno, ginger, red pepper flakes, and green curry. Dropped in some pulled pork for a lovely "noodle" bowl. Yesterday tuna salad. This morning, ground sausage (home seasoned), zuchinni, red peppers, and onions on a bed of spinach topped with two poached eggs (watched youtube to learn last night). Chopped the eggs into the hash and added some cumin....didn't really know they were there!

I read all the posts to catch up on what I missed while I was traveling and see that quite a few of us are struggling. For me it helped to change my perspective. Instead of concentrating on the things I can't have, my week helped me focus on all the things I can. I've never eaten bok choy or spaghetti squash in my life, but after a week of hard boiled eggs......I'll sure as hell broaden my horizons before I give up any progress I have made in the last 14 days! 14 days! We have made it 14 days! Happy day 15 everyone you have undertaken a huge change. I'm not just proud to have stuck to it, but I'm proud to be healthier, to know and understand more....oh, and my suits have gotten just a little too big!

Day 12: Feeling tired and nauseous this morning... No bueno.  :(

I felt like that last week. It sucked - I feel your pain. I'm feeling better now - I hope you do soon!

I really want to try the prosciutto frittata that everyone is talking about.  jent103 - let me know how the sunshine sauce turns out...where in the world do I get coconut aminos?  whole foods?

Here's the frittata recipe I used! I did not take her seriously when she said to make sure the prosciutto covers all the bottom and sides, and so mine are more "frittatas with prosciutto, and some of the prosciutto is poking up on the sides" than actual prosciutto muffins. If you really want the outside to be all prosciutto, follow instructions better than I did! You can use whatever veggies you want - I hate mushrooms, so those were definitely out, and I didn't add garlic either. I used some red pepper and a baby kale/chard/spinach mix from Trader Joe's.

Sunshine sauce is great. It kind of wakes up whatever you put it on. This weekend I made it to put on carnitas, but I've also had it on steak slices and that was good too. The first time I made it was pre-Whole30, and I just subbed soy sauce for the coconut aminos. I almost left it out this time, but I figured it probably needs it and went ahead and bought the aminos. The only place in my city to get them that I know of is Whole Foods - they're in the aisle with the soy sauce. They're not cheap; one bottle is $6.69 at my store. Sadness. You can also get them online, but at least on Amazon they're not much cheaper.

For me, the planning and cooking ahead is key. I don't have a family to take care of, but I do have a very busy schedule during the week, and I'd never be able to do Whole30 without cooking ahead! It does mean a lot of cooking on the weekends, and sometimes (like today) I end up eating two or three meals at work so I can eat before I go somewhere after. But it's worth it. This weekend I made full recipes of carnitas and chocolate chili, roasted a chicken, made four burger patties and two pork chops for protein, plus I made mayo, the basil aioli, sunshine sauce, and dressing for kale salad, and prepped some veggies. That should cover me for the week at least!

I am so thrilled to report that my eat-breakfast-at-work strategy seems to be working. These frittatas are going down much better than they did yesterday!!

sisaacson, I am SO impressed that you made it through under those circumstances!! And that noodle bowl sounds DELICIOUS. I may have to steal that one. :) You're so right. At home, I mostly don't feel deprived at all - it's trying to eat out that really does me in.

I don't mean to sound overly cheery, it isn't all rainbows and unicorns yet, but when I sat next to a coworker on an insulin pump and watched him drink beer, gin, eat bread, sweets and potatoes it really opened my eyes.

I asked myself how much denial I would need to be in to be reliant on a machine and still not care enough to make better choices. I'm not judging him, haven't walked in his shoes and don't know what challenges he has faced in his life. He is a kind man with a wonderful heart. But I don't understand the blinders. Has he just given up?

So when things got difficult I reminded myself that it wasn't nearly as difficult as it could be. I've lost 60 pounds paleo before I started here. I have another 30 to go. Those 30 have been an enigma. Prior to paleo I suffered bronchitis twice, pneumonia, ear infection, sinusitis and two bouts with shingles...all between January and the endof June 2011. This is easier than that for sure.

This is my JumpStart. A zero tolerance, no cheat allowed is exactly the mental frame I needed to stay on track and not wonder off into a cheat day because "I deserve it". I've been pretty public about what I'm doing so I don't go all hermit crab and decide to pack it in.

sisaacson4-Yes!  Very impressed with how you handled last week.  It's funny but I am feeling the same you are.  I have no desire to cheat.  It feels good to be on track with this.  I feel good even though I am not where I want to be yet.  It is fun to find new flavors to add.  Which brings me to...can we have unsweetened cocoa or unsweetened chocolate?  Jent103, you talked about chocolate chili, which sounds amazing.  I am going to make some fritatta right now just using up veggies in the fridge that need to be used.  

Keep it up & have a great day of eating everyone!!!

sisaacson4-Yes!  Very impressed with how you handled last week.  It's funny but I am feeling the same you are.  I have no desire to cheat.  It feels good to be on track with this.  I feel good even though I am not where I want to be yet.  It is fun to find new flavors to add.  Which brings me to...can we have unsweetened cocoa or unsweetened chocolate?  Jent103, you talked about chocolate chili, which sounds amazing.  I am going to make some fritatta right now just using up veggies in the fridge that need to be used.  

Keep it up & have a great day of eating everyone!!!

Checked on the "can I have forum"....100% cocoa is acceptable, but with caution against dark chocolate, saying unless its 100% cocoa its considered candy. It looks like its most commonly used in a savory manner, with ground chili's for depth of flavor.

can we have unsweetened cocoa or unsweetened chocolate?

Yep, as long as it's used more like a spice. Like I think in a mole sauce it would be fine. Well Fed (Melissa Joulwan's cookbook) is entirely Whole30-compliant except for one recipe, and she has two recipes in there that use cocoa - the chili and one for cocoa roasted cauliflower.

Looks like all you guys are doing great!!! Congrats on Getting to to Halfway!!!!

Still am having pain and have an appointment with a surgeon in two weeks. Bland diet is REALLY boring, but my appetite still hasnt returned, so I haven't completely gone off my rocker with crazy non compliant stuff... i just want to feel better and a part of me was hoping that by eating the bland diet, my pain would go away, but no such luck. I have an agreement with my better half that if nothing seems to help it, I will go to the Emergency room as my next step...but hopefully I will start to feel better.... I am so bummed out about this whole thing... my heart aches because I had made it 12 days and was doing so well... but at least i know I CAN do it!!! :)

Keep up the good work guys!!!!

Madscience, I was so hoping you'd feel better by now - I'm sorry! It's frustrating that you're just supposed to wait and see for two weeks. You're awesome to be our cheerleader!

Lees, that chili is GREAT. One tip - I couldn't find any compliant beef stock, even at Whole Foods. I made some myself yesterday with soup bones from my CSA, but for my last two batches I've just used chicken stock instead (I had tons of that frozen, so I'm not sure how easy it is to find compliant chicken stock vs. beef). The beef stock version is probably a little bit better, but either one is great!

Sisaacson, if I were you, I might not ever eat a hard boiled egg again!

Today's lunch was really good- I piled roast beef on romaine leaves, squirted some horseradish mustard on top & rolled them up. tasty with some carrots, applesauce and macadamia nuts. In the past 2 weeks I have made soup, stuffed peppers, hash, roasted chicken, lots of grilled/baked/canned fish (iin addition to the greens & eggs for am- by choice!- but have primarily had "foods, sitting on the plate next to each other." Kind of boring. It is bizarre how refreshing a dollop of a condiment improves things! I really need to make that mayo!!

I'm just a day 14-er, but like others, I remain shocked that I haven't been desiring a snack during my "old" snacking times (okay, that was pretty much from 4 until my head hit the pillow!). I have also noticed that I can count the hairs left in the shower.... It used to be that a broom or rake was needed to clean the tub floor! And (this is a weird one), but my eyes are open wider and I swear I look younger; or just not so old!

Sorry to you all (but to encourage others considering doing this), my clothes fit very differently- in a good way! It may have been that I had so much bloating, I don't know, but I am enjoying it!

I have embraced the post exercise sweet potato and the best deterrent for the weakness and headaches I had been getting of late. (Duh!!When in doubt, really follow the rules!) I've also been improving on hydration, which remains a daily challenge.

I also agree that condiments make a difference. Well my eyeballs are not red but I look like someone back-handed me. Not sure if I can see patients tomorrow.

My dinner was very small today I had to force myself to eat, first day I have experience this. Maybe its the mega steroid dose that I am on.

I read someone posted about getting a cooler for the car, I bought one last week and I will start to use it soon, the only issue is that I cant warm anything up and it must be cold foods :( I have also switched to glass containers and looking to get those fancy stainless steel lunchbots since my stuff will be in the car and we hit temps over 100 degrees :(

Hope everyone is doing well...another day down!! We can soooo do this!

So after my post yesterday I got more and more nauseous and ended up leaving the office to work from home. a block away from my house I couldn't make it and .... vomited on the side of the road.  (Mark that off as an experience I never want to do again)

I'm not sure if it was a bug or something I ate (had 2 boiled eggs and carrots that morning), but I came home, napped for about two hours and then woke back up.  Went to WF and got some compliant chicken broth, chicken and veggies and made a soup and had that for dinner.  Felt fine and even had some watermelon later. 

This morning I feel fine. But I'm avoiding eggs and carrots today just in case. Still going strong on Day 13. 

Oh man, DubyaWife - that stinks! I'm glad you're feeling better. I refused to eat scrambled eggs for years because one morning in middle school my mom was cooking them and I threw up when I smelled them - probably not related, but a very close psychological connection. :)

How's everyone doing today? The Whole30 Daily this morning talked about tiger blood, but I'm not feeling it yet. I keep hoping!

Hey yall. Just checking in. sitting at our school cookout and watching everyone eat hot dogsand hamburgers. And I don't even feel jealous!! I brought a mixed green salad w chicken and strawberries and apples and tomatoes and avocado and balsamic. If was delicious. Feeling ok. Had lots of cramps lately ..ugh. But other than that I'm sleeping great and feeling good. Hope everyone's doing well

Doing pretty good today.  No tiger blood here either.  Have a issues with stuffy nose.  I don't know if it allergies or something I picked up.  I'm not taking any "optional" medications as part of the system cleanse.  I would like to get a sense of what's going on with me without anything clouding it up if I can.  My allergies aren't critical, so whatever it is I will muddle through.

I made the carmelized coconut from Well Fed.  WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Lovely snack.  Admittedly a little addictive, so it took a bit of self control to stop.  Its kinda like popcorn, in several ways.  It doesn't taste really coconutty, its crispy/crunchy, salty and you can eat it mindlessly so be careful.  Measure out your snack and walk away from the rest so it doesn't get away from you.

I started using CALM 3 nights ago.  I haven't found that I get to sleep faster, but I do sleep more soundly.  I am still working to get my ideal dose.  I moved up to quickly and yesterday was more about digestion than I'd like a day to be.  No pain or cramps, but magnesium does pull the water you drink into your intestines.  I think I took too much the second night.

Perfected my poached eggs this morning!  Making use of my precooked ingredients and different herbs and spices.  Italian tonight.  Homemade sausage, tomatoes, onions, garlic, zuchinni, spinach, speghetti squash and Italian seasoning with a little chicken stock.  So looking forward to that!

Its a great day!

sisaacson - how "not coconutty" is it? I really hate coconut but that recipe has intrigued me for awhile. Where did you get the coconut flakes? I've made these almonds to have at times when others are snacking - movies and that kind of thing. They are awesome. And it's harder to go crazy with them because you have to chew a lot. :)

I had the same issue with Calm!

My energy has been pretty steady today, despite a blah day at work!

OK, this is where I get a little shy.  Making a recommendation for not coconutty to someone who doesn't like it is like telling someone with a migrane that its a beautiful sunny day.  Your taste sensitivity to coconut is likely hightened due to your aversion.

I mean the salt and cinnamon are the winning flavors.  I think in the heating, much of the oil is drawn out and that's where a lot of the flavor comes from.  When it hits your palate, its salt...the cinnamon works its way in, but as you continue to chew-that's when I start to get coconut.  It's muted, but it's coconut.  Those almonds look GREAT!

Sorry about the blah work day.  I'm working my way through a post kettle bell butt kicking.  My muscles scream "WOULD YOU STOP!!!!!!"  Every time I leave my chair.  Should not have skipped Level 1.  Great workout...sore legs.  Oh well, can't turn back now! :D

How many meals per day is everyone averaging...?  I've been trying my best to not snack in between meals and hold to the "3 squares a day" rule. But I've been averaging about 4 meals per day.  Each with protein, fat, and veggies. 

I've been a 3-square gal, but boy, there have been wide variations in my hunger levels when mealtime arrives. Today I had been working in the garden (passive-ish, no big, heavy work) when I got serious hunger pangs (something I don't think I have felt since childhood ... because I am so good at taking care of myself, right?!). Upon arriving in the house, I see that it's an hour and a half later than I thought it was! Thank goodness there were lots of leftovers!

I am feeling really good to be at the halfway point. Indeed, we all can complete this!

Archived