My Whole 90 (autoimmune protocol + coffee elimination)... almost...

I'm not sure which stage of grief I'm in, but I think it's the nose-thumbing stage. Having "flunked" today's food group, I decided to just blatantly disregard the rules, tonight only. Van's gluten-free ancient grains waffle (free of all the questionable foods pinpointed, to date), grass-fed New Zealand butter, grade B maple syrup. It was heavenly, and bite me. Watch me wake up with a raging yeast infection in a.m.

Might as well get started on the oregano oil...

One good thing about the milk-induced fatigue, though; at least I will sleep good!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rashiness this morning, and salt water flush. One thing I do not miss is the rashes I had prior to W30. I don't want those to come back for anything. If dairy is one of the triggers for rashes, that would be enough motivation to completely cut it out. If I feel I need the benefit of grass-fed dairy, I could always buy high-vitamin butter oil, as expensive as that is; it is dairy-free, I suppose maybe in the same way ghee is, I'm not sure. Or maybe not dairy free, but should be free of the things that are problematic. Or I may try grass-fed butter or ghee on it's own to test for tolerance; see if I can at least have that. Because I am interested in it for the health benefits, the vitamin and mineral content. I'd just have to find an alternative option for consumption, if I am dairy-intolerant.

Question: Why are nuts and seeds not allowed on aip? I simply have not understood the reasoning behind it. Nightshades, I get, as well as egg and dairy elim. But why nuts and seeds?

Anyhoo, I didn't do a reintro day for nuts or seeds. Just have been eating them a bit, here and there. First as spices, then tahini, then a little more. Had a salad with pecans, today, and omg! How I have missed having something that goes, CRUNCH! But wondering whether a reintro day would have been important, or why?

I know you're supposed to take thyroid meds on their own, but maybe you could take some lactase enzymes with your pill? Or think about getting your meds compounded. Most pharmacies that don't offer their own hypoallergenic fillers will let you supply your own. (Probiotic powder or gelatin powder work best for many with sensitivities like you're describing.)

I wish I did- as with most supplements it's really hard to find a Whole 30 compliant version. The powders have maltodextrin, the liquids have soybean oil... the tablets seem to have everything terrible under the sun!  Your best bet might be to go for a clean enzyme blend that contains Lactase, like the Digest Gold from Enzymedica. It is in a veggie cap, which can be problematic if you have trouble breaking down cellulose, but it does also contain cellulase to help with that. I'm sure there are others, but that's an option to help you get started. Best of luck!

Well, I am having quite the reactions to the med containing lactose. In response to the pretzels and a little cornstarch that I spread on my forearm, I seem to have a scant itching, maybe a little bumpiness that goes away, if that. So maybe I should be looking at a med that uses corn, instead. Maybe I do react less to that. Maybe my reactions all along, were more due to the med I was on?

I supposed I will eventually have to do another Whole 90 to conclusively sort it out. I think the first time through has given me a general idea of problem areas, but it still will need more investigation. I just really don't see the point until or if I am able to get on a compounding med to do another W90 and reintro foods. Meanwhile, maybe I can work on increasing stomach acid and bone broth and fermented foods for gut healing.

So, I had some corn, today, trying to test it, again. So far, it seems I'm not reacting to it. So... The reaction from before... Could it have been a reaction to my meds, and not to corn? Except that I had one or two reactions to cornstarch, before I ever did W30. So could it just be that the digestive tract mucous is thickening in response to lactose in my meds, such that I'm not reacting to corn, as I normally would?

Thoughts? Is it pointless to test any more foods, due to that acclimatization of my gut to the lactose in my meds? I seem to have lost the violent, undeniable reaction. Even kombucha is not affecting me the same way. Kinda sad, b/c there were a few more things I was wanting to know if I should eliminate.

How long are you waiting between your trials?  It seems as though you may be adding ingredients too quickly to know for sure.  Some symptoms might not appear for a day or two...maybe even longer.  Also, consider how much you are having.  Are you having enough to know?

Wish I had more thoughts, but those are the ones I have for now.

Archived