August 1 Start Date - Who Wants to Rock This w/ Me?

wylandfn

That IS awesome (the baby shower)!

Day 3 done.  Didn't quite have as pristine a day as I have been.  I took a magnesium capsule and then realized it listed potato starch in the ingredients.  And, another...the macadamia nuts I've been snacking on all week contain canola oil.  Crap, lol.  So, I guess I'll be tacking on an extra 3 days to my Whole30.   :D

Still feeling good,with no overly noticable symptoms.  My stomach LOOKs bloated, but doesn't feel like it.  

Picked up some fun great things at Whole Foods and tomorrow I'll walk to a local farmer's market and pick up some nuts I CAN eat and will also be looking for blueberries, strawberries, sweet potatoes and veggies.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3 done. Didn't quite have as pristine a day as I have been. I took a magnesium capsule and then realized it listed potato starch in the ingredients. And, another...the macadamia nuts I've been snacking on all week contain canola oil. Crap, lol. So, I guess I'll be tacking on an extra 3 days to my Whole30. :D

Still feeling good,with no overly noticable symptoms. My stomach LOOKs bloated, but doesn't feel like it.

Picked up some fun great things at Whole Foods and tomorrow I'll walk to a local farmer's market and pick up some nuts I CAN eat and will also be looking for blueberries, strawberries, sweet potatoes and veggies.

Nuts with added oil?!! What the?!? Who does that....but go the whole 33! :)

Day 3 done.  Didn't quite have as pristine a day as I have been.  I took a magnesium capsule and then realized it listed potato starch in the ingredients.  And, another...the macadamia nuts I've been snacking on all week contain canola oil.  Crap, lol.  So, I guess I'll be tacking on an extra 3 days to my Whole30.   :D

For future nut purchases, look for raw nuts ... no oils involved.

Totally rocked it at the baby shower.  Went with a bunless burger- no cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion.  Passed on all of the dips, salsa and chips.  Chugged the h20 and nibbled on my larabar.  Not once did I feel deprived or like I was missing out. It is more interesting to see what everyone has to say or react to eating this way.  I just love when the ladies around me all said they need to go on a diet and are the first ones in the spinach dip and slamming down the cupcakes with a diet coke!  Classic

That is so awesome that you were able to get through the shower. Probably made the others jealous with your amazing willpower!

I think one of the biggest takeaways for me already from the W30 is how much more mindful I need to be everyday with food. So many times I find myself automatically putting things into my mouth because they're there, not because I want them. Today at my cousin's birthday party, I was getting a cupcake for my son and a bit of frosting got on my finger. I automatically went to lick it off--I don't even like that stuff! Fortunately, I am more aware and stopped myself before it got to my mouth. :-)

I brought some macadamia nuts with me to munch on at the party but forgot to plan for a meal so I sort of missed meal 2. Meal 3 was onion, garlic, cabbage & sweet potatoes sauteed in ghee and leftover meatballs all over a big salad. My son wanted pasta for dinner but I had to bite it to check for doneness--literally spit every last bit of it out of my mouth. Was not starting over for a little piece of pasta!

Had a chat with the husband last night, I think I am going to stick to my original idea of eating pretty much on plan for August and doing a full 30 again in September. Helping a family member with some pretty serious issues right now and my focus is just not on full compliance right now. I will be working on some other things that need my attention during this month.

Day 3--meh.  ate the right things just ate too much & too late.  tired today & didn't workout.  We DID however to a huge costco, health food & grocery shop.  Took a nap as suggested by the timeline.  Going to bed now.  Tomorrow will be a big day -- driving to Philly area to celebrate my MIL's 80th b-day.  We are going to a steak house so I'm sure I'll be ok.  

Nuts with added oil?!! What the?!? Who does that....but go the whole 33! :)

Right?!!  What the heck...it didn't even occur to me that it had oil.  For the next 33 days I will be checking labels like crazy, even on stuff I've had before, lol

For future nut purchases, look for raw nuts ... no oils involved.

Yes, I will be looking at the Farmer's Market today for just that thing, though I AM sad because I don't think they have macadamia nuts, but I will definitely get some almonds and/or whatever else they have.

On a happier note, I have lost some weight already.  I know we aren't supposed to weigh every day, but it's such a habit, I'm finding it hard to break.  I think I've weighed myself every day (except on vacation) for the last 30 years.  It's part of my morning routine...brush teeth, turn on shower water, disrobe, weigh, shower, lol. Fortunately, it's never really been a discouragement, just a tool, and CAN be a motivator.  :D

Day 3 went pretty well.  Timing of meals got a bit off because of the weekend and I ate meal 3 a bit late.  Partly that's because I'm never really interested in meal 1 so I will end up procrastinating on eating it

Boyfriend has gotten on the Whole30 bus with me.  This is helpful because he is very ocd :)  I picked up some cilantro paste at the grocery store because they were out of fresh and he said 'You can't have that' (soybean oil in it).  So I hunted harder for the organic stuff buried under the parsley.  I dislike parsley... and it's always crowding out my beloved cilantro.  Stupid parsley.

Boyfriend is also a better cook then me!  Made great chicken and guacomole for dinner - and a little too spicy for me so I couldn't love it tooooo much.  And a baked apple.

What shocked us both about the baked apple (he pureed some raisins with orange juice and ghee to pour on it and added pecans) is that it needed NO added sugar whatsoever!  We left out the almond flour and coconut milk intentionally so it wasn't too 'dessert-y' but it honestly made me think... WHY would anyone add sugar too this?  Ever?  It was so good we thought we'd better forget our discovery for a couple weeks and then try it again with the almond flour, some cinnamon and vanilla , and coconut cream for the true apple crisp experience...it WILL be apple season soon.... :)

Had another migraine overnight.  Bummed I keep having to medicate.  Would like to give my liver a rest on the NSAID's too, but the weather and TOM are kicking my migraneur butt right now....  This also made me think I should do 45 days so I can see what TOM is like after whole30 without confusing the situation with re-introductions.

On a happier note, I have lost some weight already.  I know we aren't supposed to weigh every day, but it's such a habit, I'm finding it hard to break.  I think I've weighed myself every day (except on vacation) for the last 30 years.  It's part of my morning routine...brush teeth, turn on shower water, disrobe, weigh, shower, lol. Fortunately, it's never really been a discouragement, just a tool, and CAN be a motivator.   :D

Are you willing to experiment with changing that daily habit during the Whole30? Here's an article to get you thinking about hiding the scale for the duration of your Whole30: http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Also, did you take measurements before you started? That will help illustrate body composition changes when you're done.

Are you willing to experiment with changing that daily habit during the Whole30? Here's an article to get you thinking about hiding the scale for the duration of your Whole30: http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Also, did you take measurements before you started? That will help illustrate body composition changes when you're done.

Thank you for the links, I've read them both.  I forgot to take measurements...I'll do that now before I'm too far into it.  

Okay, re the scale....I AM willing to NOT weigh myself for the duration of my Whole33....  It was surprisingly hard to type that, lol.

Phew, I've said it.

Day 3 Party day;

Affirmations:

pack my own food and stick with it.

ignore adverse comments

do not try to convert anyone, this is my choice

I do not need to apologize

I will survive!

OMG I did it. They had a Maguerita machine. I drank water. Birthday cake made me gag when I looked at it. The food offered was chicken fajitas so I ate the chicken, peppers and onions without tortillas or sour cream. I also had strawberries and plums.

So many people urged me to have a Marguerita but I just ignored my temptation, smiled and said, "No thank you".

For breakfast I made Sweet Potatoe Hash with Chayote added. I always try to make enough for 2 meals so on the long car ride I ate the leftover as my lunch. I arrived at the party full and satisfied. I feel so empowered.

I made my husband hide of scale because I knew that I would be hopping on it every day!  I have no clue where it is in the house.  We took before photos and measurements.  I also am refusing to update my wardrobe until the final week of Whole30 because I know sizes will change :)

Hello! I started my Whole 30 on the first...just slow to get on the forum & make it official. I have done the Whole30 once before, but relied too much on fruit...and didn't really kick my sugar habit, which is why I am doing this again. I did however lose 15 pounds, as much as I think I ever needed to lose. The weight just kinda comes off, no matter what I eat, now that I don't eat brownies & cookies for breakfast & lunch!

I am trying to be a runner, but I am lazy & afraid of hurting myself, so I take it easy & listen to my tendons & joints and ease off when they complain.Really wondering what my body is capible of, once I feed it right! I like running 1 mile. :) But I make myself run 3 hoping I'll learn to like that. My goal is to run a half marathon...so I sign up for little races to keep me training.

That's my story so far!

Thank you so much for sharing this article!  Reading this makes me want to have a "burn the scale" party! 

Hello! I started my Whole 30 on the first...just slow to get on the forum & make it official. I have done the Whole30 once before, but relied too much on fruit...and didn't really kick my sugar habit, which is why I am doing this again. I did however lose 15 pounds, as much as I think I ever needed to lose. The weight just kinda comes off, no matter what I eat, now that I don't eat brownies & cookies for breakfast & lunch!

I am trying to be a runner, but I am lazy & afraid of hurting myself, so I take it easy & listen to my tendons & joints and ease off when they complain.Really wondering what my body is capible of, once I feed it right! I like running 1 mile. :) But I make myself run 3 hoping I'll learn to like that. My goal is to run a half marathon...so I sign up for little races to keep me training.

That's my story so far!

Hey Jenn! Welcome back and way to recongize your struggle with sugar. I'd make that one of the bigger things you accomplish over the next 30 days.  I also love that you are signing up for littl races to keep you in training mode and just remember even if you are only doing a mile - you are still lapping everyone who is still sitting on the couch!

OMG I did it. They had a Maguerita machine. I drank water. Birthday cake made me gag when I looked at it. The food offered was chicken fajitas so I ate the chicken, peppers and onions without tortillas or sour cream. I also had strawberries and plums.

So many people urged me to have a Marguerita but I just ignored my temptation, smiled and said, "No thank you".

For breakfast I made Sweet Potatoe Hash with Chayote added. I always try to make enough for 2 meals so on the long car ride I ate the leftover as my lunch. I arrived at the party full and satisfied. I feel so empowered.

Way to survive the party and turn down the cake and cocktail!  That is great willpower!  Having these social situation come up early in the program are really going to benefit later in the month.  If you did it now, you can do it again should another social event arise. 

Keep on feeling empowered!!!

Woohoo! Day 4 is going swimmingly. I've had 0 snacks...yep ZERO! I had larger meals. Here they are: 

Breakfast: "green eggs" and sweet potato, banana with 2 tsp of almond butter, and 1 serving of nuts 

Lunch: eggplant-spinach curry, salmon, and dried seaweed (usually a snack but I included it in lunch)

It's almost 4 pm now. My husband will be home at around 5:40 or so and then we are grilling protein (steak for him, salmon for me) and veggies. I bought 2 oranges so I might have an orange after dinner since I didn't eat any other fruit this afternoon. I don't want to be overly reliant on fruit to get me through but I figure 2 pieces isn't bad. 

Hi errybody, feeling much clearer-headed. Not waking up with yucky throat anymore, sleeping better, and clothes are already starting to feel a little loose.

Does anyone else find themselves really emotionally sensitive? Went to a movie last night and was craving chocolate really strongly. Got very upset about not being able to have any. It did not help that I kept getting asked to pass the Pocky sticks and Skittles back and forth between friends.

Went surfing today and had a little meltdown because the waves were too big for me. Maybe this is the result of not being able to numb feelings with cheese, bread, chocolate, and wine, but if that's the case it's certainly for the better. Any other emotional eaters finding themselves on edge?

Hi errybody, feeling much clearer-headed. Not waking up with yucky throat anymore, sleeping better, and clothes are already starting to feel a little loose.

Does anyone else find themselves really emotionally sensitive? 

I'm glad you are feeling better, and congratulations on looser clothes! 

I'm still feeling pretty good...so far none of the different symptoms that are common.

Today was a tough day because I was out most of the time and did not bring things to satiate myself. My daughter had her first rock concert and, while we were waiting/during sound check, she asked me to get her a cheeseburger and fries. I was so hungry and it took all of my willpower to not eat the fries, especially when she did not finish them. I ate the tomato and took every speck of cheese off of the leftover burger and ate that. After the concert we went out to a restaurant and I was able to get food cooked to order--steamed broccoli and chicken. No rice. No crunchy noodles. And none of the ice cream everyone was having for dessert. And I REALLY wanted some of that ice cream! Came home and had some grapes and was quite content. I am full and fill proud that I overcame all of the temptations that I encountered.

One thing, though. I am really not feeling any lighter. I guess I am a bit less bloated but, considering I've really been doing this since July 29 (except for my slip-up with children's motrin) I thought I'd feel lighter. I will power on, of course. Not giving up. :-)

Archived