Day 2 - Hungry every hour??

So I think either it is a) not enough fat or B) not enough water, but I seem to drink a lot of water, so I don't think it is that, but even if I eat a ton of veggies and ground turkey meat, my bf got me the extra-lean kind, oh bless his heart. So I am thinking I should have just added some coconut oil in the mix so I don't have this gnawing feeling of unsatiety. It really doesn't make sense though, does it seem like something more serious could be coming into play here like thyroid problems, or am I just being a cyberchondriac?

• Moderators

Turkey is lean no matter what. Try eating a palm-size portion or two of red meat and see if that works for you. :)

Follow the meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

And drink 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day and I bet you will be fine.

I think it is too early to begin diagnosing health conditions. ;)

I can relate as I'm also on day two and hungry pretty much all day.  My meals leave me feeling unsatisfied and just . . . empty.  I'm eating a lot of food so I think at least a portion of it is psychological.  I just hope the hunger goes away as my mind and body readjust!

My mom is doing her first whole30 and she describes feelings of extreme hunger after eating a BIG meal with plenty of protein and fat. She is used to always having a bowl of ice cream or some other type of dessert after dinner. I asked her last night if she'd like some rolled up compliant deli turkey when she said she was hungry after dinner and that didn't sound appealing to her. I explained if that didn't sound appealing than she wasn't hungry she was craving. It's crazy how convincing your mind can be when it wants its sugar fix! Despite the fact that she's following the meal template and even eating a little more fat than recommended and starchy carbs (which by the way I recommend adding because they def help me feel full for longer. I eat 1/2 a sweet potato with lunch or dinner) she never feels satisfied after a meal because she's still not used to not getting that treat after dinner. It will take time but you'll get used to this routine and in the meantime try adjusting the amount of fat, protein, and starchy carbs at meals to stay full longer. You should also try herbal tea after meals. 

I was also in the habit of having a sweet treat in the evening. Today I had some fruit (3-4 one inch chunk pieces of fresh pineapple) with my lunch and dinner (something I don't usually do). Since there wasn't much in the way of starch in either meal, it let my blood sugar know I'd been fed (I was HUNGRY going in to the meal and I'm hypoglycemic), but without going overboard or treating the fruit like a "dessert." I expect such things to calm down once I've eaten this way a while and my body's expectations catch up with reality.

If a mini-meal of protein/veggies sounds appealing, you're really still hungry. If it doesn't, it's a craving and best ignored.

For whatever it's worth, I was really hungry for the first few days of the whole30 (day 27). I made sure the fat/meat/veggie was right and kept some larabars around. it went away quickly

I grabbed a few of them yesterday and they really helped a lot. I feel like they may not be the best thing because a candy bar is still a candy bar even if i is made of fruit and nuts, a bit of the old SWYPO, eh?

Archived