Cast iron skillet care for beginners

Roz Griffiths

Lucky me, for my birthday i received a cast iron skillet - not a Le Creuset or anything fancy like that, just a basic no-frills cast iron pan. I seasoned it yesterday as per the instructions - it said to use vegetable oil, so i used coconut - then used it for the first time, washed it & left it to dry. When i came back to it, it was a little rusty, so, so far i've learned:

a: don't leave it to dry, but actually dry it with a towel or something

b: don't clean it with washing up liquid?

c: when it says "season inside & outside" it's best to actually do that otherwise the outside goes rusty too

:rolleyes:

I've re-seasoned it, with lard this time. Any more tips on how to get the best out of my lethal weapon cast iron pan?  :)

I think you've discovered the three golden rules of cast iron skillet care! That's all I do! As you continue to use it, you can season less and less. The dry it as soon as you wash it is very important! No soap-just hot water! Also, I have found that acidic foods turn funky colors in a cast iron pan...not very appetizing looking, but worth noting.

After I wash my pan, I dry it with a towel and then put it on the stove and turn the burner on high for a minute to make sure no moisture is left.  When it's cool, I put it away.  Every once in a while, or after I have to use soap for some reason, I reseason, put it on a cookie sheet in the oven on a low temp for a bit and then wipe down. 

You can also buy handy scrapers and/or brushes to clean them, which are super-helpful.  The company Lodge sells both, and if you have a cast-iron grill pan, they even sell scrapers with notches to clean the grill part.  I don't like to use sponges because inevitably there seems to be some soap residue left, no matter how much I wring them out.

My tips:

Acidic foods (tomato sauces, lemon juice, deglazing with vinegar) will strip some of the seasoning.

After use, wipe away any excess fat, or if it needs washing use plain hot water. I use a loofah- type scrubber, nothing too harsh. NO SOAP EVEEEEER.

I put it back on the heat for a couple of minutes to get rid of excess washing-water. Depending how it looks I do a little re-seasoning with an old pastry brush and some lard.

If I've really burnt something on, I'll scrub it off and do a proper re-season, leaving it on the heat for a good while and using the pastry brush with lard.

When cooking, it actually works better to use a "sharp" metal tool that can get underneath the food and lift it - as opposed to wood or plastic, which is thicker/blunter, and usually smushes some of the food into the base of the pan.

AVOID THERMAL SHOCK - cast iron is brittle and will shatter. Don't blast cold water into a hot pan, or move it from the fridge to a high heat, etc.

I avoid using towels on it as it seems to smear rusty grease stains on them!

Oh, and remember the handle is also cast iron and also gets hot  :rolleyes:  and as your hand sizzles, remember that this very hot thing is also very heavy, so don't drop it on your foot......

these are all helpful!!

we're thinking of getting rid of our current cookware and getting cast iron - there is a lodge set we can get cheaply (5 pieces plus shipping from the US is about the same price as one pan in Australia!) but i'm wary about using it and looking after it. lots of practice i'm guessing?

these are all helpful!!

we're thinking of getting rid of our current cookware and getting cast iron - there is a lodge set we can get cheaply (5 pieces plus shipping from the US is about the same price as one pan in Australia!) but i'm wary about using it and looking after it. lots of practice i'm guessing?

Amber it takes a little practice but once you have it down, it's easy. Sometimes they become pitted (bacon seems to be a culprit). When that happens, you scrub it with kosher salt and re-season. You can't hurt cast iron. Even if you blow it, anything can be fixed.

All really useful! Thank you all so much!

Pleased to report that said cast iron skillet has just cooked my breakfast of spicy squash, spinach, breakfast sausage & fried egg and nothing got welded on & the few little bits came off easily with a dishcloth under running water :) It's had a dry with paper towels & a little sit on the hob, & a bit of extra lard melted on for good measure! Next stop - lunch!! :lol:

• 3 years later...

Archived