starting August 12

EricaV

I had my first glass of red wine yesterday.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, but am not sure it's really worth it as it was followed by getting pretty lax with how i handled dinner.  (I stayed with compliant foods, but with no sense of how much or why I was eating.)  I'm going to my high school reunion tonight and had wanted to see if I could have a drink without getting loaded! So I will see how I feel tonight at the party, but I will definitely pause for thought before deciding whether to stay clean or not.  I have always enjoyed good wine and good whiskey, but I really felt what it does to my body.  

Hope everyone is doing well.  I'm going to start doing some other reintroduction either this week or next weekend.  Yikes!

Lizzie

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

Checking in after being swamped getting ready to travel and then traveling (all work, and feeling jealous for your lovely weekend plans Trine).

Travels were in Seattle, and quite easy to find compliant foods and chefs, wonderful seafoods, fresh veggies/fruits.  Full day of travels in airports aren't so easy, either GF or paleo. I definitely drank.  Alot.  And dark chocolate (Theo is made in Seattle!).  However, I've had one small bit of white potato, and not returning to that...didn't even taste good.  No side effects that are noticeable, but I just don't miss it and so don't need it.  Haven't done a bit of dairy, quite fine with black coffee/tea.

I am also though feeling like I need to get back to the kitchen and out of work!  I want to try the homemade granola, and this coconut dish (thanks!!) and the black kale posted looked amazing on paleo-ish.  I love kale!! 

I go in for my celiac appt next week, and will do bloodwork after to see the numbers, so hopefully all will be more 'health-ful' with or without excessive weight loss.  I think I am still down about the same as end of the 34 days of compliant paleo.  The alcohol didn't help with that, so I need to return to one (if that) drink per day.

Thanks for keeping on this forum and updating us all!  It does help, and it gives me something to look forward to each day, whether or not I respond or not, so thank you all! (and for anyone keeping tabs, I'm on level 59 on candy crush!).

Amy

hi all,

I haven't posted for a while , been busy with a trip away and then catching up on work.

while away I decided to try some things again and see how the body and mind react. Did not have alcohol and this is something I don't miss at all, yeah! I had some yoghurt, which I love but it made me feel bloated, same with chocolate

we had sushi at an amazing restaurant, beautiful it was, but I overate and then promptly got constipated for 2 days, which is something I had improved on so much going paleo!

so, some good lessons and although I am not doing whole 30 right now I am back to full paleo, staying off all dairy even though this was something I thought I may bring back at least a little with goats or sheep cheese and yoghurt, but it just feels so much better to "eat clean"!

I still have issues with snacking though so have to be pretty strict on myself and basically NOT do it, can't have just a little of things, so best avoid it....pfff

Good to hear from everyone.  I agree, Amy, it does help.

Interesting results from my weekend.  I had a glass of wine on Friday and two at the reunion, plus one small chocolate.  I wasn't drunk, the wine was consumed between 7-midnight, but boy did I feel lousy in the morning! (OK, some of that was due to getting to bed at about 3 am!).  Yesterday I noticed the puffiness and bags under my eyes were back, my color was bad.  Combo of wrong eating/drinking and not sleeping enough.  But it's really fascinating to see the effect of alcohol in isolation.  I'm starting to feel more myself today, and happily back to compliance.  

Wishing all of you a wonderful, healthy day, wherever you are!

Lizzie

My time working away from home was okay. I had a couple of glasses of wine (meh), but my dietary choices were not the greatest. I was event manager at a VERY busy event (attendance was 121,000). I ate what I could grab or what I could get quickly before falling asleep. Back to Whole 30 for a few days for a re-set.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

After trying all last weekend while this forum/server (??) was down, I really missed not being able to read all of the progress, challenges and successes! 

After returning from Seattle and continuing to eat 3-4 squares of dark chocolate per day, I have decided I don't like it and it doesn't make me feel very good.  So, I've removed it again.  Gone, don't care.  I had one of my fav salads at a local restaurant ('fried'-not-artichoke heart salad with shrimp) and had them leave on the goat cheese (except for that, it is totally compliant, just like the watermelon salad....hmmm).  That is about the extent of being non-compliant with dairy for the last 2 months.  My 60 days end at the weekend.  I have returned to 4-5 glasses wine/week, no ill effects and totally worth the value of the glass of wine (in my book).  I am getting lots of sleep (and hopefully will continue if my daughter's sleep-walking meds continue to work).  No interest in grains except for the texture (finally found and bought all of the ingredients to make home-made granola, first thing on my Friday list when I take a half day off). 

Had my celiac appt this week.  I'm down about 14 pounds now, had to buy new pants (yeah!), have more to remove from the closet.  The blood pressure was down (112/72), but my dr wants me to wait until I finish 12 full weeks of this eating to repeat the bloodwork to see how well it is working.  Her main question and concern is how I'm getting my calcium (as a 50 year old female, this is getting to be more and more important!).  Any ideas on naturally increasing this intake of calcium in a W30 compliant manner?

Lastly, a plug for the paleo-ish blog by Peter:  if the photos don't draw you in, believe me, the taste of the outcome of the recipe will have you forever!!  When I couldn't get on this forum, I went to see what Peter was up to...and promptly went shopping for all of his yummy ingredients to put in the slow cooker for the beef stew.  Oh, wow.  I cooked it Tues, and came home to a house smelling heavenly.  My family (who aren't compliant) put theirs over egg noodles, and I ate loads of the carrots and parsnips.  Have leftovers and loving it!!  Thanks so much.  My slow cooker is getting a workout once or twice a week, as that is about all of the time I have to find the items to cook (and my kids prefer my husbands gourmet non-compliant meals to mine).  

Hope everyone is getting settled into the post-30/45/60 day routine. 

Post when you can, update successes and changes, and new recipes!!

Amy (who is still healthy!!)

Had my celiac appt this week.  I'm down about 14 pounds now, had to buy new pants (yeah!), have more to remove from the closet.  The blood pressure was down (112/72), but my dr wants me to wait until I finish 12 full weeks of this eating to repeat the bloodwork to see how well it is working.  Her main question and concern is how I'm getting my calcium (as a 50 year old female, this is getting to be more and more important!).  Any ideas on naturally increasing this intake of calcium in a W30 compliant manner?

Here's the Whole9 take on calcium: http://www.whole9life.com/2012/02/what-about-calcium/

Hi everyone

I'm no longer compliant but I've kept my weightloss. However, one big thing:

When I eat sugar I get a HUGE hangover the next day! This include if I eat too much fruit too.

I can have two glasses red wine and not get any problems. But sugar...!!! Feels like hangover, flu and brain fog de luxe.

but, I'm 40 today and will enjoy my weekend thoroughly (but no grain as my that is the ONE thing everyone has gotten that part :) 

hugs from Norway in splendid crisp fall air and spectacular colors

NB

going to a farmers marked tomorrow and SO looking forward to it

Hi all,

After trying all last weekend while this forum/server (??) was down, I really missed not being able to read all of the progress, challenges and successes!

After returning from Seattle and continuing to eat 3-4 squares of dark chocolate per day, I have decided I don't like it and it doesn't make me feel very good. So, I've removed it again. Gone, don't care. I had one of my fav salads at a local restaurant ('fried'-not-artichoke heart salad with shrimp) and had them leave on the goat cheese (except for that, it is totally compliant, just like the watermelon salad....hmmm). That is about the extent of being non-compliant with dairy for the last 2 months. My 60 days end at the weekend. I have returned to 4-5 glasses wine/week, no ill effects and totally worth the value of the glass of wine (in my book). I am getting lots of sleep (and hopefully will continue if my daughter's sleep-walking meds continue to work). No interest in grains except for the texture (finally found and bought all of the ingredients to make home-made granola, first thing on my Friday list when I take a half day off).

Had my celiac appt this week. I'm down about 14 pounds now, had to buy new pants (yeah!), have more to remove from the closet. The blood pressure was down (112/72), but my dr wants me to wait until I finish 12 full weeks of this eating to repeat the bloodwork to see how well it is working. Her main question and concern is how I'm getting my calcium (as a 50 year old female, this is getting to be more and more important!). Any ideas on naturally increasing this intake of calcium in a W30 compliant manner?

Lastly, a plug for the paleo-ish blog by Peter: if the photos don't draw you in, believe me, the taste of the outcome of the recipe will have you forever!! When I couldn't get on this forum, I went to see what Peter was up to...and promptly went shopping for all of his yummy ingredients to put in the slow cooker for the beef stew. Oh, wow. I cooked it Tues, and came home to a house smelling heavenly. My family (who aren't compliant) put theirs over egg noodles, and I ate loads of the carrots and parsnips. Have leftovers and loving it!! Thanks so much. My slow cooker is getting a workout once or twice a week, as that is about all of the time I have to find the items to cook (and my kids prefer my husbands gourmet non-compliant meals to mine).

Hope everyone is getting settled into the post-30/45/60 day routine.

Post when you can, update successes and changes, and new recipes!!

Amy (who is still healthy!!)

I was about to start writing about how what really matters is how much you absorb and that milk isn't the only source, but it's all there in the link GFChris shared. (Which is a great article by the way!)

Thank you so much for the kind words about the food I share through the blog Amy!

It makes me truly happy to hear, and to know you cooked from it, and liked it, is even better! :)

Just FYI...there's another slow-cooker recipe coming up on Sunday (and if you can't wait it was posted on the PaleoHacks blog earlier this week) ;)

Great to hear your health is constantly increasing! :)

Take care everyone, and have a great weekend!

//P

Hi all,

I spent quite alot of time reading Chris's recommendation about the calcium (thank you!!).  Interestingly, I teach gastroenterology in a medical school here in St. Louis, and I teach some dietary things, and alot of calcium absorption by our bodies.  While I did know alot of this, I didn't realize how much grains sequester available calcium from our ability to take it up.  I sent this all on to my dr, and since I've had a bone scan soon after discovering the celiac disease (for a baseline and to check that I was ok-I am), I have something to compare my density to for the next time, supposedly long way off and well into a W30 compliant diet.  Yeah.  No more worries.  I certainly eat almonds and dark leafies nearly every day if not multiple times in a day.  I also found that sesame seeds have a crazy amount of calcium in them.  I also get sunshine, and hopefully ! magnesium too.  I just hate the concept of taking vitamins, and totally agree with W30 concept of them, and getting too much of minerals, vitamins, etc. 

Onto the fun part of the day:  I stayed home this a.m. to finally (!) make the granola, and after reading webpage after webpage of recipes, I decided to go with this one:  Amee's Savory Dish (see her paleo cinnamon granola).  I can tell you that my house smells divine!  Can hardly wait to try it, maybe with some coconut milk drizzled. I halved the amount of coconut oil, substituted maple syrup for the honey, and will add dried sour cherries for the fruit after cooling.  Haven't decided if a few dark chocolate chips will go in or not for a little treat (maybe my issues with chocolate are based on amounts??). 

Anyhow, had a facetime chat with a previous student who has been in the UK, and the first thing she said is that I haven't aged a minute.  Wow, what a great thing to hear.  I am not sure she would have said that 2 months ago.  In addition to the weight loss, I am definitely more "glowy" in the complexion, well-rested, and feeling more optimistic.  I can't even put my finger on the mental part of how this makes me feel, it is just all good.

So, if anyone has found us in this forum as you're just starting on this new 'quest' of life (and yes, I'm still addicted to CC), you can pretty much believe what you're reading, in the book, on the website, etc.  It shouldn't be a fad, it is a new way of life for probably most of us who have felt now as good as we do. 

Peter, keep the recipes coming...will look forward to the next slow-cooker recipe (I have a whole organic chicken and tomatillos I bought...?? might that be in your recipe??). 

Trine, stick with us, keep us updated.  Would love to hike through Norway with you!!

Lizzie, virtual cheers to you, and same to all, be it a glass of real alcohol or a bubbly seltzer water. 

Happy weekend.  Tell us what you're up to, cooking, recipes, activity, etc.

Amy

Peter, keep the recipes coming...will look forward to the next slow-cooker recipe (I have a whole organic chicken and tomatillos I bought...?? might that be in your recipe??).

Unfortunately not...think lamb and North Africa ;)

But...of course that doesn't mean I don't have suggestions for what to do with your chicken! :)

Step 1)

Slim Palate's "Spatchcocked Chicken":

http://slimpalate.com/spatchcocked-braise-roasted-chicken/

(Tip: make two to get more bones and leftovers...)

Step 2)

Roast the bones and scraps (including the spines from the chicken recipe) in the oven along with some root veggies. Put them in your slow-cooker, cover with water, simmer on low for some 20 hours.

Now you've got yourself some awesome chicken broth. :)

Step 3)

Use some of the broth + leftover chicken meat to make a soup like this one:

http://strictlypaleoish.com/2013/04/21/thai-style-shrimp-soup/

(Obviously replacing shrimps with the leftover chicken...)

You can't go wrong with that plan! :D

//P

NOTE: Since this is the Whole30 forum...the chicken recipe calls for white wine (which is not ok during a Whole30). When I made this dish during my Whole30, I skipped the wine and used a bit of water mixed with organic balsamic vinegar which worked great!

If you have compliant chicken broth that would be perfect to use for moist as well.

Hello all! It's been a while and really nice to check in.

I'm still on my up and down road, the one with lots of rocks in it that I'm learning to walk around or move.  Totally fell off the wagon for a few days, giving in to sugar and carb cravings.  The amazing thing is not just how awful I felt but how I could see it in my face!  My color was bad, I looked older, ick.  So I'm now back on board and feeling soooo much better.  Looking forward to a big cooking day.  I'm planning to try a few more recipes from Well Fed and I'm also going to try to make a chai without sugar and with coconut milk.  Not sure how it will work, but with the days beginning to draw in, I think it will be nice and soothing.

I've been so fascinated and inspired by my own journey and everyone else's that I've registered for a course to become a nutrition health coach! I'm hoping to keep learning for myself and for others.

Peter, I've finally signed up for your blog having looked at some of the recipes.  I can't wait for more posts!

Trine - is your 40 forty days or your birthday?  Either way, cheers and happy wishes to you!

And to everyone --

Hi all, (I hope you are all still here...?),

Had a great weekend with W30....make a slow cooked chicken using an easy and tasty recipe with a whole organic and free range little chicken, tomatillo's, onions and chicken broth (organic!) in the slow cooker for a Sat night dinner.  Shredded the chicken, pureed the sauce, and served with rice and black beans for the family, and for me, with sliced up avocado.  Mmmm, perfect fall evening dinner. 

Cooked some chocolate zucchini muffins too, that are great with eggs and coffee in the a.m.  Nice and moist, and totally compliant.  Was missing that feeling of eating something like that after 60 days. 

Also made the compliant granola last week, yum, and tasty with the coconut milk on top. 

Peter, looking forward to the lamb, love North African meals, thanks, and for such a lovely visual to go with.

Hiked along the Illinois River in a state park today, downloaded my steps and stairs through my fitbit tonight and although feeling a bit stiff and sore, also feeling like I'm getting my exercise routine back now that eating and cooking/shopping is becoming a bit easier and more routine. 

Have a great week everyone!!

Amy

Oh dear! I've gone completely off-road. After my work trip in September I was on a very slippery slope and things are totally off the rails, right now. It was just Thanksgiving weekend and I let gluten free grains back into my diet. Now I'm all puffy and inflamed, my back is sore and I feel like hell. My husband is feeling it too and it's time for the madness to stop.

I'd said I was going to do a few days of W30 as a re-set. My resolve lasted about 14 minutes. I think I'll commit to Paleo for the next few days and see where that takes us!

Oh dear! I've gone completely off-road. After my work trip in September I was on a very slippery slope and things are totally off the rails, right now. It was just Thanksgiving weekend and I let gluten free grains back into my diet. Now I'm all puffy and inflamed, my back is sore and I feel like hell. My husband is feeling it too and it's time for the madness to stop.

I'd said I was going to do a few days of W30 as a re-set. My resolve lasted about 14 minutes. I think I'll commit to Paleo for the next few days and see where that takes us!

Hi Keliem

I went off the rail and came back * 4. As in fell off and went on. But not concerning ANY grain even 'gluten free'. And keep reading about it; on the phone, ipad, computer, cookbooks etc. Every day. It is like being re-set every time u open up a paleo/primal information u sink/float.. that tiny bit more into the thought process. Because.... ta ta ta... it is all in our heads!!!!

and that ends today's lesson :)

hehehe

from a rollercoaster Trine that reads A LOT!

Hi Keliem

I went off the rail and came back * 4. As in fell off and went on. But not concerning ANY grain even 'gluten free'. And keep reading about it; on the phone, ipad, computer, cookbooks etc. Every day. It is like being re-set every time u open up a paleo/primal information u sink/float.. that tiny bit more into the thought process. Because.... ta ta ta... it is all in our heads!!!!

and that ends today's lesson :)

hehehe

from a rollercoaster Trine that reads A LOT!

Nice, Trine.  Thanks for the encouragement.  Still struggling, still struggling. I'm sitting right next to you on that rollercoaster!

Okay. Here's a conundrum for you. Every time I try to go strict Paleo, my sinuses act up and I get horrible headaches and dizziness. Sometimes I even end up at the doc with a sinus infection. If I eat all the good Paleo stuff along with some white rice or potatoes, it doesn't happen.

(Our Whole 30 had me off work for 3 days along with a prescription for an antibiotic)

Thoughts?

Okay. Here's a conundrum for you. Every time I try to go strict Paleo, my sinuses act up and I get horrible headaches and dizziness. Sometimes I even end up at the doc with a sinus infection. If I eat all the good Paleo stuff along with some white rice or potatoes, it doesn't happen.

(Our Whole 30 had me off work for 3 days along with a prescription for an antibiotic)

Thoughts?

I got bladder infection and headaches too. And my excema acted up. Lots of things coming a once that I've struggled with since I was a little girl. But I just looked at it as remission. As in Rewind and reboot. (and white carb flu...remember?)

My excema is now completely gone. I react with a fierce headache if I eat powder based/caned/pre-made food, sugar and grains. I might as well hit myself hard in the head because the pain is the same. especially the next day.

Hope u got something of this :)

PS

still struggling staying away from my favorite chockolate unless I'm going 100%... :ph34r:  

hugs

trine

Kelliem:

"Changing your way of life is like climbing a huge pile of sand...

Every once in a while you _will_ slide back a bit, but as long as you keep climbing, you _will_ reach the top."

No idea about why you experience the issues you describe though :(

Are they just initial and temporary when switching to eating clean, or are they permanent until you do the changes you describe?

(Thinking if it could be detox symptoms, ie a reaction to the junk your body's getting rid of?)

This is just guessing though...you should probably ask the question in another thread too.

//P

Hi all,

So sorry to hear about the sinuses and the skin issues.  Obviously, it could be related to food, or it could be totally coincidental.  When I was diagnosed with celiac I had to go on a cleansing diet of barely eating anything, then adding one item (like apples, not a whole food group like fruit) back into the diet for a week.  If no problems, then it was ok to continue.  Overall on paleo I feel so much better, and less inflamed/bloated, etc, and keeping the weight down, and the appetite in check.  However, I know I only have a significant health issue with gluten.  That said, I'm staying pretty strictly to the W30 compliant diet, with a few differences:  occasional taste of cheese, glass of wine most every night, and back to a soy-free, pure chocolate (by Theo! out of Seattle), mostly because that is what I miss, and it isn't worth feeling deprived and then overdoing it elsewhere.  So, for me, a small amount of something not compliant is keeping me on track better than total deprivation.  I am thinking though that January would be a good time to do another Whole30 challenge, and stick to Aug/Jan timing for resetting that food scenario. 

Sharing some food ideas, last night's dinner (cooked by my husband, not me):  delicata squash, cut in half lengthwise, cleaned out and stuffed with sauteed Italian sausage, onions, orange pepper and kale, then baked, with just a little cheese (for me) grated on top.  It was yummy and a perfect way to end the fall day.  Cool morning, eggs with smoked salmon and avocado, and the leaves are turning outside!

Been a busy few weeks, and not sure how much I'll be back to cooking for awhile yet, but thought I'd check in. 

For all of you who haven't, update the rest of us on what is happening!  Peter, love the blog, don't stop.  It gives me a happy boost every time I check it out.  and I love getting emails to tell me to go look at the new post!  thank you!

Amy

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody. Thought I give u guys a heads up. I'm starting on a second Whole30 the upcoming Monday (25 nov 2013). Here are my reasons:

I want to enter 2014 on a clean bill
I plan on doing an Autoimmune whole30 before spring

I want to look GOOD for new years ;-) (even though I'm spending it with my friend and her kids... hehe)

My first whole30 stumbled a bit

I've completely fallen off the wagon and need to sleep better now that the cold and dark season is well and truly here in Oslo

The Christmas time is both the best and the worst time to do this. Worst because there is so much candy lying around. Best because the Norwegian Christmas food contain a lot of animal fat from grass-fed sheep, turnips, fall vegetables and the meat from the same said sheep :-) !!!

I've promised my self that I will start exercising when I've had 4 weeks without any flu symptoms.

Basically, I want to be the best I can feel!

So, does anyone want to join? I'm staring a string on the Forum called Christmas whole30 (unless someone already took that title )

Archived