Needing to vent about my DR.

KitchenWitch

So, Dr. visits are probably my least favorite thing in the world. Bar nothing. But i was ready for ths one, armed with facts (thank you ISWF) and numbers and determined not to be railroaded.

I was there to tell my primary care dr. that i was ready to give up my blood pressure meds. My BP was holding steady at 105/67 without the meds. And to go off of the Zoloft I had been on for 15 yrs.  I told him about the Whole30 and how much better I was doing.  He came back with cracks about where were my bow and arrows and how was I preparing those Mastodon burgers.

When he took my blood pressure it was through the ceiling. I wasn't in control at all. He talked about reading about me in the Obits when I died of a heart attack from high cholesterol and not taking any statins.  I am totally shaken. I am still positive that what I'm doing is right for me, I just don't have the same conviction behind it.  Thanks for listening.  :)

I would change doctors.  Seriously.  There are lots of things you can do before Statins.  And if Statins are the best choice for you, his cracks wouldn't be okay with me and they certainly aren't motivating..  I put up with a seriously bitchy ob/gyn for a while.  I figured I didn't need her for her bedside manner.  Then one day it occured to me I really did have a choice and I'd rather deal with someone else if I ever needed more than an annual.

It's too soon for the positive changes to show up in your numbers.... be patient. Keep taking the meds.  And find a new doctor.  :)

I don't think they had bows and arrows back then. I believed they hunted their mastodons with hand-made spears. What a jerk! No wonder your blood pressure spiked. I've had similar experiences and it's so frustrating. I still struggle with explaining the "science" behind this to my docs. Some are very skeptical and some are very open, but as my health improves I see them less and less, so clearly it's working. Have you had any blood work done? How does it compare with past bw? Can you get copies of your last 3 or 4 CBC's for comparison? That might be the only way to prove to him that this is working - the numbers don't lie. And if possible, find yourself another doc. Why should you be forced to take medication that you no longer need? I'm sorry you had a bad experience but I hope tomorrow is a better day.

:-)

This is what bothers me about the medical profession. We hear all the time that if people ate healthy and exercised, we wouldn't be sick and need all these medications. And when people try to do that, they are ridiculed and the doctor gets all paternalistic and pats you on the head and says 'tut, tut, you sill need me and my prescription pad'.

Definitely get a new doctor and tell them your goals when you start to make sure they are on board.

Oh how I would love to find a new doctor.  If only the single one on the list hadn't moved shortly before I first saw this link back in the Spring.  As of today, I am still looking.  Was told to go with BRAT and pedialyte until I can get in.

To: OP, as you can see, many of us get it.  As with better food choices, we can only hope that our dollars will help bring better medicine to the world.

If your blood pressure was through the ceiling, it's probably what they term "white coat syndrome". Seriously, put us in a stressful situation, like seeing a doctor, and getting things tested and our blood pressure automatically rises. When I had cancer I used to get hooked up to a machine that automatically took my blood pressure every half hour while I was having chemo. The nurse always said she discarded the first readings as they were always higher than normal for that person as they were stressed out. By the time you'd been relaxing in the chair for a couple of hours your readings were always a lot lower and more normal for you. I bet if you took your BP at home when you're relaxed, it would actually be a lot lower. Good luck finding a better doctor.

i had a doctor that was like that at one point (he told me i must be eating a lot of red meat and drinking soda and eating tons of potato chips and i needed to stop, at the time i had just heard about paleo and had only been eating any meat at all for about a month after being a vegetarian for 6 years and what i was eating was fish and chicken, i hadn't had soda more than once or twice in the past decade  or so ...i always hated soda,and i rarely had any potato chips)...i didn't go back to him, i actually didn't see any dr , except for my acupuncturist for about 5 years after that...now i have a dr, who is pretty much the opposite...he's so laid back and understanding and actually listens.

And, of course, if you go off the meds,you won't need your doc as much, and he won't be able to bill your insurance company and will have buy the 30' yacht instead of the 45'. I'm glad you are thinking about a new doctor and it might also be worthwhile to seek out a good naturopath. I love mine and in a few cases she has been more helpful than my doc (who I also love).

• 1 month later...

I get white coat syndrome a lot. Every time I see a doc who I know will take a reading, it's sky high. When my dentist takes it, it's low (117/75 last Friday). Seriously. I get so nervous about them scolding me (um, no, I'm NOT taking that medication...I eat more veggies than they could name, I'm active, and I'm fine as long as I get enough magnesium in my diet) that it goes up. Let me relax a few minutes later and it'll be in the normal range again. I think that reaction started after I showed up for a feminine appointment and they saw me an hour late. I was so mad my BP was 135/90 or so, and ever since, normal at dentist or physical therapist but high at doctor's.

*sigh* Oh well!

I finally realized that my bp was often frighteningly high (truly scary high numbers) because I was so worried about it being high.  So, for instance, at the dentist or the eye doctor it would be totally normal.  When I'd go to the doctor to discuss my blood pressure, it would look like I was about to stroke out.

I did a number of things over a six month period to help me get to the place where I could safely drop my medications and rely on my lifestyle, food, and magnesium to help.

I have also changed to a Naturopathic Physician.  The difference in level of care is astounding.  I'm truly shocked at how much I look forward to going to doctor visits now.  I really feel like I'll be able to find a solution to whatever ails me at the time.

The best resource I've found for determining how to use magnesium to treat HBP is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Magnesium-Solution-High-Blood-Pressure/dp/0757002552/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1379505433&sr=1-1&keywords=magnesium+solution+for+high+blood+pressure

I also found the book incredibly enlightening about how the medical profession tends to address these sorts of chronic medical issues in general.  Highly recommend the book.

Archived