Anxiously & Nervously Starting Sun, Aug 18th

JessiB

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, no honey on a Whole30.

Also, check the ingredients of dijon mustard. Many are non-compliant, as they contain white wine. Whole Foods 365 organic dijon is compliant.

Finally, for store-bought broths, also confirm compliance: no sugar, soy, gluten or other nasties.

Day 18 here!  After two days of teaching I'd say the hardest part for me is missing my mid-morning pop!  My mind is craving that cold fizzy beverage part-way through the day.  Keep pushing through :)

My cousin sent me these two recipes, one that's a crockpot.  I haven't tried them yet, but she loved them!

Crockpot Paleo Minestrone Soup

2 tbsp olive oil
1 sweet potato
1 cup carrots (diced)
2 celery sticks (diced)
2 zucchini (diced)
2 squash (diced) 
2 garlic cloves
28 oz of chicken or veggie broth
28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup frozen or fresh spinach (chopped)
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp barsley
1/4 tsp pepper 
1/4 sea salt 
1 1/2 gr turkey

Instructions
-Olive oil at the bottom of the crock pot
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, and garlic to crock pit
-Pour in broth
-Add entire can of diced tomatoes
-Add spinach
-Add all the spices, salt, and pepper
-Stir everything together, cook low 6 to 8 hr
-2 hours before done brown meat and break into small pieces
( I cooked my meat before and just let it cook all day in crock pot)

Paleo Honey Mustard Chicken (THIS WAS DELICIOUS! Well... both these recipes are! =) )

-8 chicken legs/thighs
-1/2 up organic honey ( I just used raw honey) 
You can buy this at valley natural foods or whole foods places.
-1/2 cup organic dijon mustard

-Preheat grill or stove medium heat
-In a bowl mix mustard and honey
-If you grill it takes about 18-20 mins, I cooked it in the stove and it took about 40.
-Baste occasionally and enjoy!!!

Question Jessi....can we have honey? I didn't think we could....both recipes sound awesome...

Day 19 for me ! I feel amazing! Great sleep,energy great, clear head and with our NW fall weather today I put on my "winter" pants and they are loose!!!Yeah....Have a weekend of social events to make it thru but I know I can do it...I love being this full and never getting snack urges....I have never felt that way before...I plan on making the crockpot turkey chili this weekend and will tell you how it goes...I am also determined to bring some fall squash into the picture this weekend....for some reason my hardest moments on the weekend so far are sunday night....I get through the social events and then when I'm unwinding before the week starts I want some sort of treat.....something mindless and crunchy.....maybe I'll buy some special tea....

Day 22 here!

Thanks for the info about the honey.  I didn't think we could have it either, but she mentioned if it was "raw honey" it was okay.  Maybe I'll just save the recipes until after I'm done :)

I had a TOUGH night on Friday!  My husband was invited to a formal night out with 3 colleagues and all of the spouses.  A fancy "wine and dine" business event.  The guys had lunch and golfing and then we (the wives) met up for lawn bowling, drinks, appetizers, supper, and a limo ride around town ending at the complex they developed.  I was nervous all day about offending the owner of the company.  It was a little awkward saying no to drinks, no to the "amuse-bouche" - one tantalizing bite to begin, no to the expensive wine, no to the fresh bread, no to the calamari appetizer, no to the side of potatoes but they exchanged it for extra veggies, no to the fresh macaroon cookies after supper, no to the drinks on the limo ride, no to the Ben & Jerry's ice cream pit stop, no to the drinks on the rooftop terrace...OOF!  It was a fancy night and I tried my hardest to politely pass on the different items.  It was awkward and by the end of the night my husband was telling everyone about "this diet my wife has me doing for 8 more days".  He cheated a little and isn't quite on board with everything, but I was proud that I made it through the night!  I ordered the gluten free steak with veggies and a fruit salad (hopefully it wasn't cooked in something bad, but it was as best as I could find!)  All in all it wasn't too bad.  I definitely didn't feel stuffed, but I missed indulging a little big.  

3 weeks without a stomach ache.  My mom was floored to hear that!  After 25 years of random stomach issues, she was floored.  I'm curious to see what it might be attributed to!

Starting Day 24 for me....I feel aweswome!!! Great sleep,great energy...I made the chili recipe over the weekend....great!!! and my husband loved it..I am doing longer hikes with a 25lb backpack and its not easy but I have way more energy than even last week...I am finding I need to have the pre workout "snack or meal" to keep my energy up...its also warm here which we are not used to in the Pacific Northwest....

I'm having a hard time not getting on the scale since I can feel the weight coming off....but I know its not about the scale....right?

Food I have really been enjoying:fresh tomato salad with basil,red oninon and olive oil,chicken and apple sausage on the barbecue,sauteed kale with bacon & onions,sweet potaoe and ham hash with vegies( no eggs) for breakfast....trying to go eggless 2 or 3 times a week....

NO CRAVINGS....this is amazing to me as a former binge eater....

Keep up the great work! It is most definitely not about the scale. Just 6 more days, keep it hidden.

I can't say I've been too terribly fond of these 80+ degree days we've had this summer. Especially not this week while we are trying to pack up our house to move. Ugh! And what is with the humidity this summer? I mean I know it is still nothing compared to the East coast but so much more than I am used to on this coast. 

Yes we are, just moving closer in to where we work, currently we are out in the sticks. Will be nice to walk to work most days and be closer to friends and church as well. :) Love the San Juans though last time I was there (Friday Harbor) I got stung on the toe by a very aggressive yellowjacket.  :angry:

I started my paleo journey in mid-March with a 30 day plan from Practical Paleo and lost about 10 lbs. Since then I've been losing about 1-3 lbs a month but my body composition is changing more than the scale would indicate and I feel so so much better than I did before. I came to this already eating a pretty clean diet but was still very tired and foggy brained all the time and still struggling with binge eating. All of that is pretty much gone. Yay! I used to step on the scale every day but now I just weigh myself on the 1st of the month and hide it again. I take measurements with a tape measure on the 1st of the month too. I had my body fat analysed with a water dunk test in July and plan to do check that when they come around to my gym once a quarter.

Day 26! I feel so great I wish I could go for another couple of weeks but will be on a hike with food provided so definitely will have some carbs and sugar...I am going to bring some compliant energy bars,trail mix,jerky with me...any suggestions? I've tried to stay away from these things...thinking "too snacky" but will need them while hiking....

Hope your move has gone well Bethany....I am in Friday Harbor....lucky me...

I was on WW before this and lost 40 lbs and then just stalled....if I could lose 10 and then 3 a month I would be thrilled....I do believe the longer it takes to take off the more likely it will stay off....I have increase my exercise quite a bit...walking -6 times a week and strength training twice a week...I plan on adding one more day of strength training when my 30 days and hike is over...

What happened to our teacher group? Wondering how its going? 4 more days!!!

Welcome to day 29 for me!  Woah!  How did this happen?!  I read this the other day and it fits me to a TEE: http://whole9life.com/2012/01/the-five-stages-of-food-grief/

The workshop week and first two weeks of school with students have gone really well.  My colleagues are starting to try some of my recipes too.  My husband is counting down the days until it's over, but he's still going strong with me.  He headed out for a fishing weekend where they sit on a boat from 5am-10pm and typically just eat sandwiches and chips all day.  He was annoyed that I couldn't create "an appetizing alternative" for him to take.  I made up some shredded chicken/celery/cashew/home made mayo that he could just throw in the cooler along with some bananas and cashews.  Not the best option but at least he is trying :)

I on the other hand am encouraged with how my tastebuds have shifted.  I made some really good butternut squash fries and then tried again with sweet potato fries a few nights later.  Both were great and were nice for breakfast options the next day!  

I'm not sure how to approach day 31.  We are supposed to add dairy for 3 days, but everything else should be Whole30, right?  So what do I eat that is dairy without sugar?  Any tips?  What about tips for day 33 grain intro?  

Thanks for your tips and encouragement!  This has been a great journey that really has changed my relationship with food.  

I'm not sure how to approach day 31. We are supposed to add dairy for 3 days, but everything else should be Whole30, right? So what do I eat that is dairy without sugar? Any tips? What about tips for day 33 grain intro?

Thanks for your tips and encouragement! This has been a great journey that really has changed my relationship with food.

When you reintro, include the reintro food at each meal on one day, then have two completely compliant days to monitor any reactions.

For dairy without added sugar, you could have butter, milk/cream, cheese, natural yoghurt.

For grains you could have pasta, good quality bread without additives, add flour to a dish etc.

Thanks for that link Jessi...I never would have read it otherwise and I have also felt some of this!I'm a day behind you because when I started I needed to have "the last supper"on sunday and started on Monday!

so Amberino...two days after my whole thirty I am taking a 3 day hike where the guides bring the food...I know I won't have dairy but everything else is on the table...should I just do my best,then do a few days strict and then re-introduce?I've never thought I had allergies to anything but with how amazing I'm feeling without those catagories maybe I'm wrong...

This has been a complete switch from how I had been eating...I have NEVER felt better in my life...I do believe I have Tiger Blood!!!

Thanks for that link Jessi...I never would have read it otherwise and I have also felt some of this!I'm a day behind you because when I started I needed to have "the last supper"on sunday and started on Monday!

so Amberino...two days after my whole thirty I am taking a 3 day hike where the guides bring the food...I know I won't have dairy but everything else is on the table...should I just do my best,then do a few days strict and then re-introduce?I've never thought I had allergies to anything but with how amazing I'm feeling without those catagories maybe I'm wrong...

This has been a complete switch from how I had been eating...I have NEVER felt better in my life...I do believe I have Tiger Blood!!!

That's what I would do. When I finished my W30 my brother came into town for a couple of days. I did the best I could without being "that person" when we ate out and then ate W30 for a 4-5 days and started reintros then.

I'm on day 32.

Day 31, I didn't introduce any milk.  I have a race tomorrow and for some reason, I'm apprehensive to introduce other stuff until the race is over and then I can start experimenting with my body.  

Today I had some milk with my eggs and I'll try to find some other stuff to add slowly.  Truthfully, most of the diary is out of our house (or out of my recent cooking style) and it's not habit anymore.  I wasn't a big milk drinker but I do like to add cheese on casseroles or different oven hot dish style meals.  I'd love a Dairy Queen blizzard or even the yogurt that my girls eat that's sitting in the fridge, but I know they are both full of sugar.  I'll keep my eyes out for some better quality items.  Time for a little more research :)  

As bad as it sounds, I do still have an urge to drink some pop or grab a piece of candy at the main office in our school now and then.  I tell myself "As long as it's a once-in-a-while treat and not an all-the-time snack...that's a change for the better."

Day 31!!!! YEAH ME....

So proud of myself....no slips.

My success is: 1. amazing sleep

2. no hot flashes!   none....

3. no snacking...I'm not hungry between meals

4. all kinds of bugs and colds around me.....not for ME

5. 12 lbs lost in 30 days!!!!!

I am going with your suggestions Betheny.....be careful but relax over my hiking weekend....do another week compliant...then reintroduce. It is amazing like Jessi said...there are only a few quality items that I'd like...for me its more a lovely glass of wine or some cheese...I don't want to give this feeling of healthy energy up....so I will be very careful going forward....

I had my race yesterday and I ran the ENTIRE way!  Woohoo!  That was an accomplishment for me!  I really am proud of the past month and my commitment to eating healthy and making a mental shift about food.  

I loved your story about successes Time2Change!  Zero hot flashes!  Awesome!  It IS incredible how diet can change ways your body deals with change!  I haven't been snacking any more either ... no need for it!  AND the people around me with colds and allergies -- Not for me either!  Woohoo!  Way to go with 12 pounds in a month!  GO YOU!!!!!  

I am apprehensive to introduce anything because I have been feeling so good.  Plus (Shhh) we are thinking about getting pregnant soon and it was an easy excuse for no alcohol because "I'm doing that Whole30 thing".  I wonder if I should just commit to another 90 days so people won't ask me why I'm not eating/drinking certain things :)  -- But really -- Why do I need a reason?!  It's a healthy choice!  :)

Thanks JessiB and congrats on your race! My 3 day hiking trip starts tomorrow so I just have stuck with clean eating..will probably get BREAD on trip( and maybe chocolate).....I intend to just keep with the program also with a few exceptions...

If the little one in your picture is your daughter...you make beautiful babies!  I can't imagine running a whole race....my body just does not want to run...but I can walk fast for a long way....I don't know why.....when this hike is over I am going to add one more day of strength training and yoga since I won't be hiking as much thru the winter...

I have been adding dairy and haven't noticed a lot of issues - Surprising to know!  I thought the diary was the issue but maybe it really is gluten that I usually eat alongside the mounds of cheese/cream that really bother my stomach!

I have had a glass of milk, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese in my eggs, greek yogurt in an orange julius type smoothie (I left out the powdered sugar and hoped vanilla was okay: http://www.mommysmetime.com/strawberry-orange-julius/ ), a little butter in a sweet potato and two different types of ice cream.  So far so good!

On to grains tomorrow!

I have been adding dairy and haven't noticed a lot of issues - Surprising to know! I thought the diary was the issue but maybe it really is gluten that I usually eat alongside the mounds of cheese/cream that really bother my stomach!

I have had a glass of milk, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese in my eggs, greek yogurt in an orange julius type smoothie (I left out the powdered sugar and hoped vanilla was okay: http://www.mommysmetime.com/strawberry-orange-julius/ ), a little butter in a sweet potato and two different types of ice cream. So far so good!

On to grains tomorrow!

Hi jessi - it's a bit unclear from your post, but have you had a few days of completely compliant eating between reintro's? Some symptoms/issues may take a couple of days to present so try not to go from one reintro to another to get the best results :)

I basically did the Whole30, day 31 I had no dairy, day 32 I had some, day 33 I had quite a bit and day 34 quite a bit of dairy.  I figured day 31 didn't count, so I did a "Whole31" then had my 3 days of reintro for dairy.  Day 35 tomorrow would be grain start.  That's okay, right?

I basically did the Whole30, day 31 I had no dairy, day 32 I had some, day 33 I had quite a bit and day 34 quite a bit of dairy. I figured day 31 didn't count, so I did a "Whole31" then had my 3 days of reintro for dairy. Day 35 tomorrow would be grain start. That's okay, right?

When you do reintro's, you're supposed to have the reintroed food for one day, at each meal, followed by at least 2 days of compliant eating before reintroducing anything else.

I would leave the gluten grain reintro for a few days! Have a few days of compliant eating, see if you get any effects from the dairy then include gluten grains in each meal for one day. Rinse, repeat with your next reintro :)

Oh wow!  Thanks for the clarification!  I thought it was supposed to be three days of dairy...then 3 days of grain etc.  So, just to clarify.  Day 31 should be 3 meals of dairy products added.  Day 32 & 33 are back to Whole30.  Day 34 adds grains.  Day 35 & 36 are back to Whole30.  Is this right?  Oh man...I've been doing dairy for 3 days and today had grains.  How should I clean up?

Oh wow! Thanks for the clarification! I thought it was supposed to be three days of dairy...then 3 days of grain etc. So, just to clarify. Day 31 should be 3 meals of dairy products added. Day 32 & 33 are back to Whole30. Day 34 adds grains. Day 35 & 36 are back to Whole30. Is this right? Oh man...I've been doing dairy for 3 days and today had grains. How should I clean up?

I responded to a post you made a few days ago (closer to the top of this page) with proper reintro method!! I'd probably wait 4-7 days before doing another grain reintro to allow any effects from dairy or today's grains to not shadow any reactions you may have from the grains on their own.

Archived