Day 17 - NO magic - NO enegy and just want to pour a wine!

JayneNZ

So even I can't believe that I've made it to Day 17 - but I'm here and I haven't cheated once.

BUT I'm really feeling pissed off right now so excuse me while I have a rant.

I have NO lion blood or whatever the hell is supposed to be coarsing through my veins right about now, I still want sugar in my tea/coffee, coconut milk will NEVER be a close second to cream in my coffee, and I seriously could do major damage to a bottle of wine about now. AND I'm tired and grumpy (in case you were wondering).

For the last two days it has taken every fibre of my being NOT to go down to the shop and get a bottle of wine and end this torture by getting kicked off the course! I am still struggling even as I type this.

I took halfway photos today and I'm so disappointed. I don't look ANY different!!!! What's up???  Yes, my body feels smaller but obviously that is all in my mind because my Kodak moment is all the proof I need that nothing has changed at all. I'm still craving the scales as well.

Seriously though, I'm just over it. I know I could do things better. Even though I haven't cheated, I know I don't do it textbook. I don't eat enough vegies at EVERY meal and most days I don't have breakfast - YES I KNOW I'm supposed to but I just can't face food first thing in the morning. Never have been able to really. Maybe a couple of hours in but certainly not first thing. And no, it doesn't matter what kind of food it is it makes me feel sick just thinking about it.

I have only just started exercising (last two days have been for a 40 minute walk) as up until now I have just been toooo tired. I'm still tired but I forced myself to walk. Even now, I'm actually getting really emotional.

WHY? HELP!

Sorry to read you aren't feeling what you expected :(

There are plenty of people who don't experience tiger blood for various reasons. I didn't notice a huge change from pre whole 30 - I had a similar lifestyle/diet though. I do notice more even energy and no dips.

If you're craving, tired, grumpy, haven't noticed any physique changes I'd suggest you may not be eating enough, or getting enough nutrients....especially if you're skipping breakfast and say you need to increase your vegie intake.

Are you getting enough sleep too?

@JayneNZ, I don't have any troubleshooting words of wisdom for you, only that there are these steps along the way where you sometimes feel like "why the heck am I doing this again"? The frustration and non-tiger moments do happen. I'm 77 pounds down and still sometimes feel like I have no motivation. Which probably sounds ungrateful and crazy. Cranky happens. And cranky passes. Getting through it without giving up may be the exact thing that yields benefits for you.

Keep in mind that maniacal cranky happens in the non Whole 30 world as well.  You'd just blame something else.  And I have no doubt the wine would be great in the short term, you don't need a whole30 to know it wouldn't feel that great the next day.

I think one reason why this forum is helpful is that in many ways our food choices have kept us 'comfortably numb'.  I know a pizza could put me into a carb coma and I crave the soporific effect of pasta and bread the way others crave wine and cheese.  And because this is so hard, we are hyper aware of every twinge or non-effect... I am so annoyed that here at day 21 I don't look like Selma Hayek yet because I have been very good dammit!  Add all that together - no carb coma / only the diet to blame and BLAMMO super rant city.  I personally go into:  It's not FAIR that other people don't have to do this... they are just naturally fabulous and healthy (unlikely).

On Day 31  - if absolutely nothing else physical / mental changes - you can be intensly proud of yourself for improving your diet and showing immense restraint.  So you can go back to the wine or chocolate or whatever and know that you can beat back bad habits because you have a will of STEEL.  Then apply it to some other habit you'd really like to change - like saving money, de-cluttering, keeping in touch with friends, whatever.

I think proving to ourselves we can do something hard that our entire BEING rebels against because it is uncomfortable is a great outcome all by itself.  

But I still want to look like Selma Hayek come September  :rolleyes:

As Amberino21 said, some people never experience tiger blood for a variety of reasons.

I would take a deep breath and revisit the reasons you decided to do a Whole30.  Could those factors still motivate you to complete the 30 days?

Consider experimenting and making some of the tweaks you mentioned that you feel you could do the program better. Who knows what could make a difference?

If it's that time-of-the-month, that could be having an impact on your emotions as well.

Also, are you having high carb vegetables every day?  Maybe consider upping those?

You have an opportunity to make some changes that could positively impact how you're feeling by the time day 30 rolls around. I hope you find a way to feel better, while staying compliant.

I'll echo everyone else...hang in there. From reading your log I know that giving up wine is very significant for you and if nothing else changes I guarantee going without wine for 30 days will be a huge victory. It will show you that you don't need it!

Changing breakfast habits is very very hard for people who are not used to eating when they get up. The recommendation is within an hour or 2 of waking so if you can eat at the 2 hour point than do that and make it as big a meal as you can.

If you really can't could you put some sort of caloric something in your mouth? A spoon of almond butter or coconut butter perhaps? At least that would be a signal to your body that you are done fasting for the night. You might find that after doing that for a while your hunger cues will change as well.

You can do this!

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to reply. I feel a little embarrassed this morning after my rant.

You all have such good things to say and yes I know that I will feel sooo good on Day 31 (which is my birthday!) when I can say that I've done it.

I'm definitely guilty of the "gonna look like Salma Hayek on Day 30" goal - quite ridiculous really when you think about it, and I totally agree with everything you said lexes42!!

So, I will take on your advice GFChris and maybe try to up my game a little where I have been slacking - like you said, you never know what might work.

I put a DVD on this morning (Hip Hop Abs) but only managed to do 15 minutes before accepting defeat - BUT that is 15 minutes MORE exercise than I would have done if I didn't try. OMG was that a positive thought? lol And it made me drink lots of water!!

Thankyou again everyone - I'm truly grateful for this forum and all of you guys.

jaynenz...i, like you, thought giving up the wine would be impossible.  I am now on day 7.  Every night I focus on how much better I feel the next day and then also realize how disappointed I would be with myself the next morning if I gave in.  YOU CAN DO THIS! I like how someone said this 30 days shows us how we really don't need it.  I congratulate you on Day 17 or more and yes....get that breakfast in girl!

I went through this phase mid way, from about days 5-15!!! Then everything evened out. I am just like you, I HATE eating breakfast...but... about half way I decided I really needed to just stuff it down. Since then I drink a bunch of water when I wake up and I've been eating breakfast about 1.5 - 2 hours after I wake up, and just eat a later lunch. I can't say for sure if that's what evened out my wine-craving rage fest, but I think it helped. I was also sleeping TOO much for a few days there and oversleeping makes me feel like crap. :)

Good luck!!

You are sooooo not alone! I am suffering with you. Together we can do this. I am so agitated and moody, my b/f hates me at the moment! :)  I am an emotional eater and I'm on day 14 and right now I could kill! My favourite quote which is helping me through this is "I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it".

And I also keep Jonathan Bailor in mind: "eat so many non-starchy vegetables that you cannot possibly eat anything else".

You are sooooo not alone! I am suffering with you. Together we can do this. I am so agitated and moody, my b/f hates me at the moment! :)  I am an emotional eater and I'm on day 14 and right now I could kill! My favourite quote which is helping me through this is "I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it".

And I also keep Jonathan Bailor in mind: "eat so many non-starchy vegetables that you cannot possibly eat anything else".

If you are still really agitated and moody on day 14 you may need to do some tweeking. Are you keeping a log somewhere? Could you share a couple of days of your food log? Whole30 shouldn't be super low carb. Having some starchy vegetables might be what you need for that emotional stability.

Archived