Ground pork

Mom2A&M

Whole Foods has it, if you don't see it in the meat case, just ask, they will grind some up for you. I've been going to the DeKalb farmers market because they carry Berkshire pork. This week I am trying their sweet sausage mix to make my breakfast patties (I mix in shredded sweet potatoes).

Where in Illinois are you? I'm in St. Louis, MO and we have access to a local farmer who does naturally raised pork. I'm wondering, if you're close enough to St. Louis, you could get pork from this guy. Here's the website for the farmer: http://www.toadspigs.com/index.html

Also, he has very good prices on bulk meats. We started buying half hogs from him and we get them at around $1.50-$2 a pound. That might be worth a drive for you. 

The only place I have been able to find just plain ground pork is *gasp* Wal Mart! Everywhere else seems to be sausage mixes of one sort or another.

I'll have to check that out, thanks. I shop at jewel and they don't have it. Whole foods is a good 45 min drive and I don't go often since I'm usually with two toddlers.

I need to do more research into local farms...St. Louis is too far, I'm far west subs of Chicago.

• 3 weeks later...

Whole Foods has it, if you don't see it in the meat case, just ask, they will grind some up for you. I've been going to the DeKalb farmers market because they carry Berkshire pork. This week I am trying their sweet sausage mix to make my breakfast patties (I mix in shredded sweet potatoes).

I was at YDFM last night! They don't list ingredients on their sausage mixes so I didn't get any.  I'm afraid their sausage has added sugars like the ones in regular grocery stores.

Online at US Wellness meats, I was just looking into this the other day too and wondering the same thing. I am in Colorado and it is hard to find. I really want clean pork breakfast sausage and I also noticed US Wellness meats has that too, and clean. Whole Foods always adds no good oils to any 'flavored' sausage.

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok

I was at YDFM last night! They don't list ingredients on their sausage mixes so I didn't get any.  I'm afraid their sausage has added sugars like the ones in regular grocery stores.

Hi Delaine, yeah, the saugage was probably not compliant, and it was way too spicy for me. I am back to the plain ground pork. I buy 2 lbs and freeze one. I've been adding my own spices so I know what's in it and I can control the taste. For the sausages, if you want to see the ingredients, ask them and they will print off a label for you. I did that with the lamb sausage. The French one is compliant, but the Greek one wasn't (feta cheese) but it is DELISH for when you are not on a W30.

I really scored there on Sunday. For grass fed beef, I got 2 porterhouses, a London Broil and a filet. I bought 6 turkey wings for my husband, 2 lbs of ground pork, a rack of lamb (I got 2 meals out of it) and a duck breast. Very affordable and it was all great quality meat.

Online at US Wellness meats, I was just looking into this the other day too and wondering the same thing. I am in Colorado and it is hard to find. I really want clean pork breakfast sausage and I also noticed US Wellness meats has that too, and clean. Whole Foods always adds no good oils to any 'flavored' sausage.

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok

Summer, I am in Northern Colorado and have found two nearby farms to buy from.  The have farm stands and they also go to farmer's markets.    I even ordered half of a pig to arrive in February when my summer stock of pastured meats starts to dwindle.

US Wellness is an excellent option, otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Texas and shop at HEB. I found ground pork with the other ground protein (beef, turkey, chicken.) It is cheap! $1.99/lb. I made my own breakfast sausage today using Martha Stewart's recipe and it is AWESOME. I will never go back to premade sausage at the store!

What kind of sausage at HEB? Everything I found premade in the case at Kroger has sugar/msg sounding things in it.  I may have to give that a try over the Whole Foods Sausage which costs over double that! Thanks for the tip. :)

Archived