Store-bought Chicken

anadenna

Outside of organic chicken, which is sometimes out of my budget, to be honest, I'm having trouble finding chicken without any additives. All the chicken at my local grocer has been processed with "chicken broth." The ingredients to the broth are not broken down.

Is this chicken OK in limited quantities? Or should I continue to only buy the organic chicken when the budget allows? 

Thank you!

Is it cooked or raw? I'm in Aus, and haven't ever seen normal chicken with stuff added. Turkey, on the other hand is hard to find without additives!

I'd avoid it - it's likely the "broth" has sugar, starches, possibly dairy....who knows what else!

Could you try another shop?

Ah, I miss Australia and it's food simplicities - just moved back to the States after living in Sydney for 6 1/2 years. Never take for granted your access to delicious, seasonal fresh food! 

Anyway, it is raw; not pre-cooked. Must be pumped with broth when processed.

I don't like not knowing the other ingredients, but I read elsewhere on this forum that food companies have to list things such as sugar, starches, soy, dairy, MSG, etc. in the ingredients in the US, even for a secondary ingredient, such as this broth. But I'm not sure and a bit suss. I might just play it safe...

Thank you for your reply! 

• Moderators

I quit shopping at Kroger, a major grocery chain in the US, because all the chicken seemed to be injected with additives even though it is only half a mile from my house. I started driving 1.5 miles to Publix where I could buy whole chickens that had not been injected with anything. I don't eat as much chicken now as I did when I first started this journey three years ago, but I still shop at Publix for my toilet paper and cat litter. 

Anadena, are you speaking of raw chicken? I don't know where you are in the country or world but you should be able to purchase raw chicken with no "broth" added. I can't always afford organic chicken either. Do you have other grocery stores you could check out?

Hi Tom, I feel the same way about Kroger. They mostly sell Tyson chicken, which tastes processed to me, even if it's not. The newer Krogers have now started carrying better quality meats and foods as part of their 'Nature's Market' theme. I find that they do carry more organic veggies than some Publix, but it's  not consistent with every Kroger.

Hi Tom, I feel the same way about Kroger. They mostly sell Tyson chicken, which tastes processed to me, even if it's not. The newer Krogers have now started carrying better quality meats and foods as part of their 'Nature's Market' theme. I find that they do carry more organic veggies than some Publix, but it's not consistent with every Kroger.

Walmart is doing the same thing with their beef. I forget what they call it, but they have a small section that is all choice grade. I was just at Albertsons and they are doing it as well.

Archived