Whole30 September 1 2013

Marjan

Hello Gang!!

Day 3, I'm still with you all!  was a little slow getting out of bed this morning, but otherwise doing ok with the lack of sugar and carbs.

I too, am struggling with coffee or tea, not liking them black, trying the almond milk, contemplating other brands, etc, etc. Thank God caffeine is allowed tho!!

I also can't wait to try the mayo on the sweet potato.  never had it like that before. My wife made mayo the other day, so she could have some Egg salad, and I was wondering what else I would do with it, aside from mixing it with tuna. I used to put it on my turkey sandwiches, but now there is no such thing as a sandwich. It seems pretty popular to put it on a sweet potato, so i will have to give that a try!!

Well, it seems that most of our group is still going pretty strong, for the most part. I realize it's only day 3, but let's all keep up the good work!!  GO US!!

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Gang!!

Day 3, I'm still with you all! was a little slow getting out of bed this morning, but otherwise doing ok with the lack of sugar and carbs.

I too, am struggling with coffee or tea, not liking them black, trying the almond milk, contemplating other brands, etc, etc. Thank God caffeine is allowed tho!!

I also can't wait to try the mayo on the sweet potato. never had it like that before. My wife made mayo the other day, so she could have some Egg salad, and I was wondering what else I would do with it, aside from mixing it with tuna. I used to put it on my turkey sandwiches, but now there is no such thing as a sandwich. It seems pretty popular to put it on a sweet potato, so i will have to give that a try!!

Well, it seems that most of our group is still going pretty strong, for the most part. I realize it's only day 3, but let's all keep up the good work!! GO US!!

I'm really not a fan of almond milk in hot drinks - coconut milk is much nicer IMO! Or coconut butter/oil whizzed with the hot drink in the blender. Some people also like to add ghee to the blender!

Mayo is delicious on so many things - roast vegies, steamed vegies, chicken "nuggets", omelettes, as salad dressing thinned with vinegar...

Well, better late than never right? Didn't start on September first as I intended. Today is day one for me, so going through to October 2nd I guess.

Saw a couple of others starting the second or third also, so not alone.

Good work for all those on day three already!

Okay, so I had breakfast at about 7:30am, and by 11am I am super hungry.  So I had a small handful of nuts.  Lunch isn't usually until about 1pm... what can I do to not be starving or snacking for that long?  My breafast was a large quanitity of sweet potato hash cooked with a diced apple in olive oil and two eggs.  I could not open the coconut oil this morning due it being too slippery.  To me this seems like a very large breakfast, so I don't know why I am hungry again.  Do I just need to plan a snack? also - if this isn't the proper forum to ask these questions... which is?  They all seem very specialized in terms of what they cover, and my questions are so general & basic that I am not sure where to go... hence I come here.  

Thanks for the ideas.

Okay, so I had breakfast at about 7:30am, and by 11am I am super hungry.  So I had a small handful of nuts.  Lunch isn't usually until about 1pm... what can I do to not be starving or snacking for that long?  My breafast was a large quanitity of sweet potato hash cooked with a diced apple in olive oil and two eggs.  I could not open the coconut oil this morning due it being too slippery.  To me this seems like a very large breakfast, so I don't know why I am hungry again.  Do I just need to plan a snack? also - if this isn't the proper forum to ask these questions... which is?  They all seem very specialized in terms of what they cover, and my questions are so general & basic that I am not sure where to go... hence I come here.  

Thanks for the ideas.

I would say add another egg and maybe a fat like avocado or olives.  How many eggs can you hold in your hand?  That is how many you should eat.  I am small so can hold 2.5 eggs but I do better with 3 rather than 2.  Hopefully a moderator will have more advice.  I found in my last Whole30 I did not eat enough fat sometimes and that would cause hunger so I always eat at least a handful of olives or sliced avocado with eggs in the morning even if I cook in ghee or coconut oil etc.

I'm really not a fan of almond milk in hot drinks - coconut milk is much nicer IMO! Or coconut butter/oil whizzed with the hot drink in the blender. Some people also like to add ghee to the blender!

Mayo is delicious on so many things - roast vegies, steamed vegies, chicken "nuggets", omelettes, as salad dressing thinned with vinegar...

I always hated mayo (I called it the devil's spread) before I made my own.  What a difference!!   I love to use it for salad dressings and other sauces to top fish etc. 

I made some yesterday in my Vitamix following the Well Fed recipe and used lemon and eggs straight from the frig and it turned out perfect (didn't want to wait until room temp).  I heart my Vitamix.  Making almond butter tonight.

I finished my 3rd day pretty well.

I checked the ingredients on my can of coconut milk and was a bit suprised, three e-numbers. Does that mean I should hunt for another brand? My local supermarket does not have a lot of choice so I might have to go to the organic shop.

Can some of you check their cans, to see if there is a brand that is ok?

I had the same thing with my mustard (BBQ sauce calls for it I think), some of them have sugar added.

Also things like hot pepper sauce (in the BBQ sauce recipe), mine has a thickener (corn starch), does that mean it is off the list?

The book does not really mention any of that, so I am a bit lost.

Marjan - I don't know what you mean by "e-numbers", but maybe that is because I have not read the book?  

I had to look at two stores to find coconut milk that was just the coconut and water (but I was going anyway).  The first store had cocnut milk with guar gum (or something like that). So there are basic coconut milk cans out there.  THe ones I got are the light ones from Trader Joes.  Even the whole fat ones at TJs had the Guar gum or whatever.   

Helen, thanks for the suggestion.  I will try eating more eggs and perhaps some more fat - I assumed the fat I was using to cook in was enough, but maybe not?  For lunch I have been making myself Large salads... with greens, carrots, chopped bell pepper, protein and a whole (small) avocado - which I top with basalmic vinaigrette, which I made myself.  So then I get two fats.  I do love the taste of avocado.  

I finished my 3rd day pretty well.

I checked the ingredients on my can of coconut milk and was a bit suprised, three e-numbers. Does that mean I should hunt for another brand? My local supermarket does not have a lot of choice so I might have to go to the organic shop.

I had the same thing with my mustard (BBQ sauce calls for it I think), some of them have sugar added.

Also things like hot pepper sauce (in the BBQ sauce recipe), mine has a thickener (corn starch), does that mean it is off the list?

The book does not really mention any of that, so I am a bit lost.

I don't know about the eee numbers either but I buy the Trader Joes coconut milk.  You can check in the Asian section of the regular grocery store and they should have one that is just coconuts and water!  

If sugar is added then you cannot use it so no mustard or sauce or things with added sugar or corn starch!  I end up making my own sauces most of the time. 

(E numbers are codes for chemicals which can be used as food additives for use within the European Union and Switzerland (the "E" stands for "Europe"). I have an app to look them up and one was for Guar gum and the others for some preservativeves, not nice...

(E numbers are codes for chemicals which can be used as food additives for use within the European Union and Switzerland (the "E" stands for "Europe"). I have an app to look them up and one was for Guar gum and the others for some preservativeves, not nice...

Learn something new every day :)   If you can't find one without (the health food store surely will have one or do you have any Asian markets?) you can make your own if you have a good blender like a Vitamix.  I've never made it myself but I have made almond milk in mine and I'm pretty sure you can make coconut milk.  Good luck!  

The added sugar thing is really the big challenge to me.  Yesterday I was making chocolate chili and had organic chicken stock from the health food store but it had cane sugar in it.  Luckily I had some vegetable too that was compliant.  Also, I learned about a great magniusm supplement (Natural Calm) last time around that I still use.  The flavor I bought in June has stevia so am going to have to buy one without it for this month.  I

Thanks for the ideas.

I had the same problem today! I also had a handful of nuts (cashews) to hold myself over until lunch. I actually felt quite guilty afterwards as I've been trying hard not to snack but I figure it's better than falling off the wagon completely, right?

I'm going to try adding some sweet potato hash tomorrow for breakfast to see if that helps fight the mid-morning hunger! If anyone has any other tips, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks for the ideas.

I agree that you should have more fat. If you look at the Meal Planning PDF it talks about a thumb size of fat. I don't consider the coconut oil I cook with enough to meet that so I'm having either olives or nuts or avocado, each meal, to get the fat.

But I'm a newbie so other might have more input.

(E numbers[/size] are codes for chemicals which can be used as food additives for use within the European Union and Switzerland (the "E" stands for "Europe"). I have an app to look them up and one was for Guar gum and the others for some preservativeves, not nice...[/size]

According to: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/9608-guar-gum/. Guar Gum is okay on Whole30.

I had the same problem today! I also had a handful of nuts (cashews) to hold myself over until lunch. I actually felt quite guilty afterwards as I've been trying hard not to snack but I figure it's better than falling off the wagon completely, right?

I'm going to try adding some sweet potato hash tomorrow for breakfast to see if that helps fight the mid-morning hunger! If anyone has any other tips, I'd love to hear them!

My attitude is what would you have snacked on before the Whole 30?  I didn't bring lunch last week and I had a bag of potato chips and a Diet Coke (which I rarely drink soda) for lunch.  Today I had chicken thighs, olives, carrots and a banana.  Much improved.  That is why my mantra is 'progress not perfection.'   I underate at breakfast too and was famished by lunch but my energy levels were good.  I didn't have a sugar crash at least.  The nuts you had were compliant.  So, tomorrow we'll do better. Eat a bigger breakfast, etc.  :)

Hi everybody! I started another thread, but this one is huge, so I figured I would join in. :-)

I started my first Whole30 yesterday and I'm so excited. I'm 24 and I've suffered from chronic migraines for about 10 years. After seeing numerous doctors and trying countless meds and prescriptions, I decided to tackle my diet to solve this problem. I've read many success stories relating to migraines, so I'm really hoping to find some relief.

I'm also a chocolate addict and a regular bread eater, so I know this will be a challenge for me, but I'm looking forward to it. 

I read through "It starts with food" this past weekend and have some paleo recipe books I've been using for the past few months. I've got Practical Paleo, Beyond Bacon and Primal Cravings. Anybody have any favorite books or recipes they want to share? 

I love the support through these forums... I'm sure I will need it. Good luck to everybody starting this month! :-)

I know that the Aroy-D brand used to be good (I relied on it heavily during my first Whole30 when I was living in Canada) and I think I remember reading somewhere that the cans were BPA free too. I used to buy it in bulk tetra packs at FreshCo (I think that was the name of the supermarket!) - always double check the ingredients list though. Guar gum is ok to have on a Whole30, but if you can get coconut milk without it, even better!

Good luck!

Good morning everyone! I can't believe I'm up to day 4 already! This morning I had something different for breakfast to try and avoid getting sick of eggs too quickly. Last night I made a chia pudding with coconut milk and cacao/maca powder and coconut flakes - all natural, organic with no additives. It set pretty hard and tasted great, but the fat made it so filling I wasn't able to eat a lot of it! I ate a high fat/mod protein/low carb diet before starting the Whole30 so I am used to consuming lots of fat.

I hope everyone is doing well and has a great day! Lots of deep breaths and big glasses of water :)

I read through "It starts with food" this past weekend and have some paleo recipe books I've been using for the past few months. I've got Practical Paleo, Beyond Bacon and Primal Cravings. Anybody have any favorite books or recipes they want to share? 

I love the Nom Nom Paleo ipad app! And Well Fed is a must have too. Good luck!

Hi. My name is Cheryl, my husband and I have started the whole30 "clense" (don't you dare tell him its a diet! Lol) today, September 3rd. We're junk food junkies. I am doing this in hopes that it will be a lifestyle change. We come from southern families and healthy eating just isn't the way we do things down south. But I grew up with a healthy role model and realize that I need to get back on track. I'm tired of feeling tired... and my husband has a whole slew of problems healthwise that I'm hoping will lessen with this lifestyle change. My fridge is packed, I'm geared to go, husband on board! So far today I've done good, but have had 3 serious soda cravings. Cant wait to kick this sugar addiction! Good luck ya'll!

My attitude is what would you have snacked on before the Whole 30?  I didn't bring lunch last week and I had a bag of potato chips and a Diet Coke (which I rarely drink soda) for lunch.  Today I had chicken thighs, olives, carrots and a banana.  Much improved.  That is why my mantra is 'progress not perfection.'   I underate at breakfast too and was famished by lunch but my energy levels were good.  I didn't have a sugar crash at least.  The nuts you had were compliant.  So, tomorrow we'll do better. Eat a bigger breakfast, etc.  :)

Thanks Helen. You're absolutely right. Before the Whole 30 I likely would have gone to the cafeteria downstairs and gotten some cookies - so the nuts are a definite improvement. I'm going to follow your advice and have a bigger breakfast tomorrow. My plan is to cook up some sweet potato hash tonight that I can reheat in the morning to eat with smoked salmon and some veggies! Thanks again for the support. I love your mantra! :)

Definitely have a bigger breakfast if you were hungry before your planned lunch - if you're having eggs you should have as many as you can hold (probably 3-4) with 2-3 cups of vegies, and your fat :)

Experiment with the starchy carbs at breakfast - some people do well with them, other people find it makes them hungry sooner. Upping protein and fat is probably your best choice in foods to keep you satisfied.

If you are getting hungry between meals, go for a mini meal of protein/fat/vegies instead of a handful of nuts or piece of fruit.

Archived