Whole30 September 1 2013

Marjan

how was your crossfit?

It was awesome.  I don't know if I can afford it is the only issue.  I'm really into yoga and pay for private studio classes.  I have kind of plateaued though so this would really get me into shape.  The trainer was super cool and the other people in the class were just so nice.  Seriously, I think like 5 people came up and encouraged me and introduced themselves.  I did a 'Beginner' workout and honestly it didn't push me enough.  I have never lifted weights so they were helping me with my form on that part (I still don't get it, lol).  I am trying to decide if I can make room in our budget for it for me.  I am going to talk to my husband tonight.  I am only working part time this year (teach at a community college) as my youngest started K and this was my year to really 'take back my health.'  But we have a Y family membership and I do the yoga.  Just not sure.  Honestly, it is just the $$$  holding me back.  I can see how it can be transformational.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, nothing on the Panera Hidden Menu is Whole30 compliant.

Here's the website for Panera ingredients: http://www.paneranutrition.com/

They hidden menu items contain sugar, milk, wheat, and/or sulfites. 

I looked at the power mediterranean roasted turkey.  Is it just that the turkey may not be compliant because of the canola oil?  Here are the ingredients.  I could leave off the pepperocinis no problem. 

Power Mediterranean Roasted Turkey

Roasted turkey breast (antibiotic free all natural turkey breast, water, blended oil [canola oil, extra virgin olive oil], salt, black pepper), Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, baby spinach, pepperoncini (water, distilled vinegar, salt, yellow 5, sodium bisulfite [preservatives]), Lemon Juice, 100% extra virgin olive oil, Kalmata olives (olives, water, red wine vinegar, sea salt, grapemust), red onion, black pepper.

Good news for me... canola oil is not forbidden.  My husband had cooked dinner with it the other night, and I didn't want to have that derail everything.  So I had sort of ignored it, but then today I went ahead and looked it up.  Not recommended certainly, but not a deal breaker either.  Whew.

I thought canola oil was out.   Not that you have to start over because of this or anything. 

It was awesome.  I don't know if I can afford it is the only issue.  I'm really into yoga and pay for private studio classes.  I have kind of plateaued though so this would really get me into shape.  The trainer was super cool and the other people in the class were just so nice.  Seriously, I think like 5 people came up and encouraged me and introduced themselves.  I did a 'Beginner' workout and honestly it didn't push me enough.  I have never lifted weights so they were helping me with my form on that part (I still don't get it, lol).  I am trying to decide if I can make room in our budget for it for me.  I am going to talk to my husband tonight.  I am only working part time this year (teach at a community college) as my youngest started K and this was my year to really 'take back my health.'  But we have a Y family membership and I do the yoga.  Just not sure.  Honestly, it is just the $$$  holding me back.  I can see how it can be transformational.

Inspiring! My husband and I have a Y family membership as well... but we're seriously considering crossfit. The money makes it hard, I'm trying to think of it as prioritizing health and fitness. Even still...pricey!!

Started on the first here as well. On day 4 and going strong. Overcooked my frittata that I made this weekend to eat for several breakfasts this week and just couldn't stomach it this morning. I LOVE boiled eggs, but I'm struggling with a veg to have as a side. I was thinking sweet potato hash (yum) but I'm trying to stay away from the starch-heavy veg. Any ideas?

Coconut milk in my coffee has been a lifesaver. How did I not discover this sooner?

I will say the hardest part of this is getting enough sleep. I have an eight-month old babe who still wakes several times a night and I work full-time. So I'm not sure if I'm feeling more tired than usual because she is waking more or I'm suffering from the carb-flu. Any other newish mamas out there?

journaling about my whole30 experience @ www.baconandspinach.blogspot.com

Where did Day three go.  No time to post yesterday... 1/2 way through day 4 and my cold is slowly going away.  Did weights (upper body) yesterday and today was hard cardio (called althletic training) which is interval functional training.  Our trainer is good and makes us work supper hard!

Breakfast today was good but I did not have veggies (4 poached eggs and a banana).  I did have a couple of egg/saussage/veggie muffins as a pre-workout snack.

Lunch today was killer.  Leftover curry scramble (ground chicken, cauliflower, coconut milk and curry), with a big salad and half an apple (apple was bad).

Dinner is pork chops with a big salad!

With my cold leaving... I am feeling good.

Well... I have a weekend "treat" which I will explain later but it should be grand.  I also applied for a new job today (with my current organization) so here is hoping that there is good news in my future (it would be a promotion)!

Cheers

DJ

Morning all!  Great to see so many of you already up and at it on the other side of the world!  

Day 4 here has begun well.  

Clarification question:  The 1-2 cups of veggies recommendation - is that raw or cooked cups?  I put two huge handfuls of spinach into the pan this morning... but we all know what happens to spinach once cooked at all.  So was that enough veggie?  

I get to visit today with a friend who previously did a Whole30 and is now eating paleo 6 days per week.  She said she may have some coconut flakes for me - so I am looking forward to that.  Good news for me... canola oil is not forbidden.  My husband had cooked dinner with it the other night, and I didn't want to have that derail everything.  So I had sort of ignored it, but then today I went ahead and looked it up.  Not recommended certainly, but not a deal breaker either.  Whew.

You don't want to measure... you want to make sure you are getting enough to eat. Start with your protein and then fill the rest of your plate with veggies, as the food template suggests. If you don't eat it all, that's ok. Eat to satiety :) you can always bag the remainder up and add it to another dish another time or throw it in a cold salad :)

You're doing great!!! Keep it up!

Cheers mate! 

Day four and I feel normal, not fatigued or irritable at all. I haven't had any cravings and have not really been hungry, but I'm still eating my protein and veggies at all meals. I am writing in my journal nightly and most of my co workers that I have told, are very interested but don't want to do it!!! I feel really determined to not cheat and am just taking it one day at a time. From reading everyone's post, seems like everyone else is doing superb also. It's great knowing there are other people doing the same thing and being supportive........Caroline

I feel like I am overeating since I am hardly hungry (and it is that old nagging dieting voice: too much fat, too much...you should feel hungry).

This is happening to me (although sooner than my last Whole30 ~my sugar detox days were longer the first time around).  I don't feel hungry right now at all.  Last time for me this lasted about 4 or 5 days and then my appetite came back pretty voraciously.  Not trying to be a negative nelly just saying my experience.  I'm hoping this period lasts a while longer for me this time!

@helen and @misshannah ... I started my first Whole30 and CrossFit on the same day and I cannot recommend CrossFit highly enough!

I found that the combination of the two completely transformed my (negative) body image and really set me on a good path. I was living in Burlington, Canada and absolutely loved my CrossFit box - it allowed me to make a lot of new friends and to become part of a community outside of work. When I came back to Australia, I moved cities (I live in Melbourne now) joined a CrossFit box and again, made new friends and found a community that welcomed me with open arms.

Another great thing about CrossFit is that the paleo/primal way of eating is common, and you generally find yourself amoungst likeminded people. This really helps me to keep on track if I'm feeling a bit out of control - I go down, chat to my mates, lift some weights, do a wod and go home feeling great.

And of course, it is great for fitness, strength and body composition.

Can you tell I've been drinking the CrossFit Kool-Aid? :D

Hello Day 5! Today I am expecting a huge order of meat to arrive ... yum! I'll be having a big cookup on Sunday so have to get most of it in the freezer, even though it's only for a couple of days. I like to cook on Sunday so the working week is easier.

If anyone is interested, I have been logging my meals and workouts over on my blog - hayleyswhole30.wordpress.com.

Feeling great again, although I am not sleeping as well as usual, so I am a little tired.

Have a happy day, everyone!

Everyone sounds awesome today! 

I started Crossfit a month ago and if they didn't give me a military discount it would be really hard to fit into our budget, too. I go at 5am and it's like a personal training class because hardly anyone else shows up. Good to see your box was really welcoming to you today. Every crossfitter I've met has been super nice, too. 

Question: Anyone else have dizzy spells? I think it's a combo of the new food routine kicking in and I've been working really hard on some behavior modifications for my night eating issue so I'm not sleeping much either. It happened a few times today when I stood up too quickly from a crouching or kneeling position. 

App Shout Out For those of you trying to get back into the exercise habit have you checked out an apple app called "Lift" It's a habit forming app that started as a personal trainer kind of thing, but you can put in anything you want to track like 'reading for pleasure' 'brushing your teeth' or whatever exercise habit you want to form. Other people join in on your habit if they are trying for the same thing and can comment or give you props. I don't like to post my workouts and such on FB so this gives me a great way to brag about something I do to an audience who does the same thing. Haven't seen it for android yet though.

I'll be checking in again after yoga, but this thread is great and all of you are very inspiring! Keep it up!

@helen and @misshannah ... I started my first Whole30 and CrossFit on the same day and I cannot recommend CrossFit highly enough!

I found that the combination of the two completely transformed my (negative) body image and really set me on a good path. I was living in Burlington, Canada and absolutely loved my CrossFit box - it allowed me to make a lot of new friends and to become part of a community outside of work. When I came back to Australia, I moved cities (I live in Melbourne now) joined a CrossFit box and again, made new friends and found a community that welcomed me with open arms.

Another great thing about CrossFit is that the paleo/primal way of eating is common, and you generally find yourself amoungst likeminded people. This really helps me to keep on track if I'm feeling a bit out of control - I go down, chat to my mates, lift some weights, do a wod and go home feeling great.

And of course, it is great for fitness, strength and body composition.

Can you tell I've been drinking the CrossFit Kool-Aid? :D

Awesome!  Thanks for the feedback.  I want to do it.  It is really just finances that are the issue for me...but I think I'm going to do it.  Still thinking though.

I just logged on today for the first time, but I started September 1st also!  How are you all doing?  Today has been a tough day for me with the sugar cravings, but I know the benefit of hanging in there will be far worth it :-)

Shoot, I screwed up.  My son handed me his half eaten granola bar, and I took a bite without thinking about it.  I was somewhere I did not feel comfortable spitting it out.  

Sigh.  So this means I need to start over.  I signed up to get the Whole30 Daily and it says you will get 30 days of e-mails.  I can click "I need to start over", but I assume I only get 30 DAYS of e-mails.  So does this mean I won't get the e-mails through the end of my second attempt at a Whole 30?  I am ticked off... things were going so well.  Once I got home I was trying to make the prosciutto wrapped mini frittatas from nom nom paleo - and they were a pain to assemble in individual muffin tins.  I would not recommend them in this form factor.  

So, if I have to start over... can I allow myself a glass of milk?  I have been wishing for dairy these past 4 days.  I Love dairy, I really really do.  I have been shocked that although I have missed the ease that bread products bring to my life, I didn't miss them the way I missed my dairy.

If anyone thinks I Don't need to start over - please let me know.

If you honestly made a mistake and didn't continue once you realized the mistake I would say just keep going.  I don't make the rules though so maybe someone else will chime in :) 

Shoot, I screwed up. My son handed me his half eaten granola bar, and I took a bite without thinking about it. I was somewhere I did not feel comfortable spitting it out.

Sigh. So this means I need to start over. I signed up to get the Whole30 Daily and it says you will get 30 days of e-mails. I can click "I need to start over", but I assume I only get 30 DAYS of e-mails. So does this mean I won't get the e-mails through the end of my second attempt at a Whole 30? I am ticked off... things were going so well. Once I got home I was trying to make the prosciutto wrapped mini frittatas from nom nom paleo - and they were a pain to assemble in individual muffin tins. I would not recommend them in this form factor.

So, if I have to start over... can I allow myself a glass of milk? I have been wishing for dairy these past 4 days. I Love dairy, I really really do. I have been shocked that although I have missed the ease that bread products bring to my life, I didn't miss them the way I missed my dairy.

Ocassions like this make us realise how easy it is to eat mindlessly!

Your granola bar likely contained at least 2-3 non-compliant ingredients, gluten being the big one! I'd add an extra few days on to the end to give yourself a full 30 days to be free of anything that could cause issues. I never had the emails, but I think starting over gives you another full 30 days :)

I started my emails over once and they just cycled back to Day 1 so you'll be fine if that's the route you want to take, but I'd go with the previously mentioned idea and say it was an honest mistake, just keep going. If you enjoy the way you feel after it's over I'm sure you'll try another W30 and the next time be more mindful. If it were me I'd keep going. Good luck to you whatever you decide though :) 

Thanks for the support.  I think I will cycle back to day 1, just to help keep me on track with when I started.  But having read your comments, I will not fall farther off the wagon by indulging in my desired dairy tonight.  But I would really like to.

Thanks.

The dairy craving might be for the sugar so since you are already in the midst of your sugar detox I would say don't indulge!!  Milk has a lot of sugar in it (my students just did a lab on this yesterday in my biology class).  You could just keep going and like the mods say add 3 extra days on.  I did that for my first one actually.  Made a mistake in day 2 and so just went 32 days.  But do whatever you think is best for you psychologically!!

Hey Katt!! When are your dizzy spells happening?? You should journal when they happen if it's near a meal time, not enough fat at meals or dehydration. I drink almost 2-3 liters of water a day and when on days when i am more lax or didn't get enough sleep, i am more prone to dizzy spells. I discovered that by journaling my 2nd W30... It's a great, easy tool to keep you accountable but also look for signs.

Once the 2nd week goes around you'll be a-OK... If they continue, definitely look more into it with a physician.

Sworkit is also another great app for fitness starters! No equipment and logs weight, daily and weekly goals. Almost done with the first week!

CHEERS MATES!! :)

Archived