Whole30 September 1 2013

Marjan

I agree!!!  I am so tired of the negativity of doctors and such around fertility.  My cousin just had her first baby at 45.   I will say it is so important to go into a pregnancy healthy (I had mine at 37 and 39 ~ 18 mos apart ~and the second pregnancy was much harder because I wasn't as healthy). 

And yea to the compliment.  I only teach two days a week and wore the same pants as last week and felt more attractive in them. 

Hope you found the stuff you were looking for!  Let us know how the bacon making goes.  What cut of pork do you buy??

Hi Helen,

I bought a piece of pork belly and found an easy recipe with just salt :-)

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning, day 5!

This morning I had a go at my children for not rushing enough to go to school.

I suppose that corresponds with day 4-5  :) .

I actually do feel skinnier today. I am wearing a top which I am pretty sure, was a lot tighter a few weeks ago! 

Hi! I just found this thread even though I'm almost done with my first week (I started on the 31st!). This is my first time doing Whole30. I came across an article about how lard was actually good for you and it lead me down this rabbit whole to paleo and then Whole9. I decided to take the challenge and see how I felt during and after. I have a blog where I talk about moving towards fitness and now I'm doing my daily reviews and food logs on that. 

I love this forum. Yesterday I posted about not feeling well and immediately got responses from admins with tons of pointers and advice. I followed their advice and felt so much better. The forum is an awesome way to get to know people and find answers to the between the lines questions. 

Only thing I miss is splenda in my coffee. Not sure if I actually miss it or if drinking it sans the splenda is just making it less enjoyable so I don't actually drink all of it. 

Hi! I just found this thread even though I'm almost done with my first week (I started on the 31st!). This is my first time doing Whole30. I came across an article about how lard was actually good for you and it lead me down this rabbit whole to paleo and then Whole9. I decided to take the challenge and see how I felt during and after. I have a blog where I talk about moving towards fitness and now I'm doing my daily reviews and food logs on that. 

I love this forum. Yesterday I posted about not feeling well and immediately got responses from admins with tons of pointers and advice. I followed their advice and felt so much better. The forum is an awesome way to get to know people and find answers to the between the lines questions. 

Only thing I miss is splenda in my coffee. Not sure if I actually miss it or if drinking it sans the splenda is just making it less enjoyable so I don't actually drink all of it. 

I thought I was going to miss my half n' half in my coffee as I cut the sugar a couple of months ago and thankfully I love coconut milk in it instead. Every morning is like my honeymoon where we had this delicious coconut flavored coffee in the Dominican... Yum! Either way for you, not drinking it certainly isn't a bad thing.

Day 5:

Even though my little lady is at her 9 month sleep regression and I only got about 4 consecutive hours of sleep, I woke up feeling really awake today. I wasn't expecting to feel good this early on especially because I knew a month in advance that I was about to embark on this Whole30 and started eat a lot of junk. I was limiting my dairy and grain previously and then started eating will nilly up until 9/1.

How is everyone else doing/feeling?

Well team

I this Friday (tomorrow) i am driving to Toronto (about 3 hours) to say over at Mom's place and then visit Quantum Cross Fit For as a participant in the Whole 9 Nutrition Workshop.  This is a full day session that is on the right-hand side of the main Whole9life.com site.  I signed up a while ago. 

With this being my 4th Whole30, I feel I know the basics but I am always a fan of hearing the message another way and learning new strategies for setting up healthy habits.  It should be interesting and informative.  The presenters are the two Canadians that were selected.  When they were looking for presenters, I was tempted to put my hand up but did not.  Sarah and Summer are infinately more qualified than I would be to deliver the Whole30 message so I am glad to be learning from them!

This is my treat for committing to do this process again (plus I am planning about 90 days so I need all the help I can get).  I will let you know my top 5 or so learning points from the session after the weekend!

Cheers

DJ

Whole9 Canada

eventbriteprofilesw9can.jpg

Well team

I this Friday (tomorrow) i am driving to Toronto (about 3 hours) to say over at Mom's place and then visit Quantum Cross Fit For as a participant in the Whole 9 Nutrition Workshop.  This is a full day session that is on the right-hand side of the main Whole9life.com site.  I signed up a while ago. 

With this being my 4th Whole30, I feel I know the basics but I am always a fan of hearing the message another way and learning new strategies for setting up healthy habits.  It should be interesting and informative.  The presenters are the two Canadians that were selected.  When they were looking for presenters, I was tempted to put my hand up but did not.  Sarah and Summer are infinately more qualified than I would be to deliver the Whole30 message so I am glad to be learning from them!

This is my treat for committing to do this process again (plus I am planning about 90 days so I need all the help I can get).  I will let you know my top 5 or so learning points from the session after the weekend!

Cheers

DJ

Whole9 Canada

eventbriteprofilesw9can.jpg

Sound awesome DJ! Have fun!

I wished they had events like that here in Europe!

Thanks sdoucette! I haven't tried coconut milk but I just purchased some so I might try it this weekend. I made my own almond milk last weekend and it makes it lighter so it's not as bitter. Hope your lil lady starts sleeping better soon!

I am not a fan of almond milk in coffee but coconut milk is awesome to me :)

Hey all, 

Started my second W30 on 9.1 and keeping my daily log over here. 

It's going well. Nice to feel hungry again. I was going off the rails a bit with sugar before W30 but it's only taken 4 days to calm the beast. Calm, not slay, but feeling more control, sooner than the first W30 back in January. 

But hey, NO after dinner cravings last night for the time in forever and I slept through the night (feel like I'm describing a toddler when I say it that way). 

Also, this time around doing the Whole30 Daily Newsletters and can't speak highly enough about them. It's great to have these pop up in your inbox every morning with eerily timely topics like sugar cravings on Day 4 and today being about social situations. How'd they know I was trying to decide whether to go to family birthday gig this weekend? 

With glass of virtual kombucha raised I say "Here's to us September Firsters". 

I have my 'birthday dinner' at my parent's house tonight and am also thankful for the newsletters. I already told my mom not to make cake that I would bring my free treat from Panera for my sister as her birthday cake (we're twins). This way I can give away something sweet and won't be tempted to indulge myself. 

I didn't know there was a lot of sugar in milk. I love how much I'm learning on this site. 

I did notice the dizzy spells come around 10:30ish, they don't last all day or anything and I'm not drinking nearly enough water. I only drink water, too which means dehydration could be an issue. The bathroom is just really far from my room and it's hard for me to leave my students. However, starting right now I'm not going to forgo my health because my admin staff gave me a crappy schedule. 

I would love to go to that Whole 9 event! None are near me either. Good luck to everyone staying on plan today. I feel like this is my lunch time check in and it will help keep me accountable through the afternoon :) Have a great day!

Hi everyone!

Day 4 is going well so far. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I actually found Day 2 the hardest and things seem to be getting easier everyday. Maybe I'm just falling into more of a routine! My boyfriend is doing the Whole 30 as well and we've been sitting down and eating actual breakfasts in the mornings (rather than grabbing smoothies to go!) and cooking together at night which has been really nice!  

I encountered a bit of a challenging situation today when the power went out in my office around 12pm! They ended up sending everyone home and some colleagues decided to go out for lunch. I knew I wouldn't be able to find anything compliant at the diner near my work so I headed home and enjoyed my leftover taco salad from last night's dinner! I was pretty proud of myself - I also resisted a macaroon brownie at the office today too!

What are people using for healthy fats? We've fallen into a routine of using avocado, olives or coconut flakes (I love all three!) but I'd like to try something new. We also cook with coconut oil but I wasn't sure if cooking oil counted as a "fat" in your meals.

What are people using for healthy fats? We've fallen into a routine of using avocado, olives or coconut flakes (I love all three!) but I'd like to try something new. We also cook with coconut oil but I wasn't sure if cooking oil counted as a "fat" in your meals.

Those are kind of my staples.  Today I bought cashews and macadamia nuts to have on hand.  I also use the homemade mayo as a fat (sauces etc).  Coconut milk (not light) is also good.  Interested to know what others use as well!  I just bought some compliant tapenade and am excited about using it as an easy fat/flavoring. 

It's going well. Nice to feel hungry again. I was going off the rails a bit with sugar before W30 but it's only taken 4 days to calm the beast. Calm, not slay, but feeling more control, sooner than the first W30 back in January. 

But hey, NO after dinner cravings last night for the time in forever and I slept through the night (feel like I'm describing a toddler when I say it that way). 

With glass of virtual kombucha raised I say "Here's to us September Firsters". 

I did my first in Jan too.  I got derailed over the summer so this is great for me.  I hope to do one every Sept and every Jan (to reel things in from summer socializing and then the holidays).   Sleep is so awesome.  I'm not there yet but only because my kids started school and have colds and have been waking me up :)  

I have my 'birthday dinner' at my parent's house tonight and am also thankful for the newsletters. I already told my mom not to make cake that I would bring my free treat from Panera for my sister as her birthday cake (we're twins). This way I can give away something sweet and won't be tempted to indulge myself. 

I didn't know there was a lot of sugar in milk. I love how much I'm learning on this site. 

I did notice the dizzy spells come around 10:30ish, they don't last all day or anything and I'm not drinking nearly enough water. I only drink water, too which means dehydration could be an issue. The bathroom is just really far from my room and it's hard for me to leave my students. However, starting right now I'm not going to forgo my health because my admin staff gave me a crappy schedule. 

I would love to go to that Whole 9 event! None are near me either. Good luck to everyone staying on plan today. I feel like this is my lunch time check in and it will help keep me accountable through the afternoon :) Have a great day!

Good plans for the birthday!  We have our wedding anniversary and our using money we would usually spend on a dinner with drinks to pay for a babysitter to go on a long hike.   I used to teach high school and I was always dehydrated for the same reason.  They need more faculty bathrooms in general in buildings!!!

Hi all!

Glad to hear people's days are going well!  I did not fall off the wagon any farther yesterday, but did reset my Whole30 e-mails.  I was sort of bummed that it reset me to the Day Zero e-mails.  But I will keep at it.  For health reasons I want to know if nutrition can help my issues - hopeful here.  

I was super proud of myself today because it was the first time I had to pack myself a lunch and I did fine with last night's left overs.  I think I lacked fat - so I may get off here and go have a handful of cashews.  

Later all!  Keep up the good work!

App Shout Out For those of you trying to get back into the exercise habit have you checked out an apple app called "Lift" It's a habit forming app that started as a personal trainer kind of thing, but you can put in anything you want to track like 'reading for pleasure' 'brushing your teeth' or whatever exercise habit you want to form. Other people join in on your habit if they are trying for the same thing and can comment or give you props. I don't like to post my workouts and such on FB so this gives me a great way to brag about something I do to an audience who does the same thing. Haven't seen it for android yet though.

I'll be checking in again after yoga, but this thread is great and all of you are very inspiring! Keep it up!

Hi Katt, I downloaded that Lift app to my iphone. Can I follow you? I'm not sure what info I need to do that......

Hi everyone!

cooking fat wouldn't really go towards your intake - unless you're pouring all the oil off on to your food, quite a lot would get left in the pan.

I use mayo, coconut oil, coconut butter, coconut milk and ghee the most. I don't like olives, i think avocado messes with my tummy, and i wouldn't just eat coconut flakes, although i have crumbed meat with desiccated coconut on the odd occasion :)

mayo is delicious and goes on practically everything, i'll cook vegies then toss them with coconut oil/butter, add milk to sauces or on fruit, and roast things with ghee, or put it in cauli/leek puree.

So I made a parsnip "rice" to have with the ropa vieja I made for dinner tonight and it was kind of blah. I'm starting to think I'll never find something to use in the place of rice. (Cauliflower is out for anything as a family due to allergies.) I hope rice is okay when I reintro. There are too many dishes I love served over rice and they just don't taste the same without it. Day 5 and I'm feeling a little sorry for myself, probably because part of my dinner was a fail for me.

On the plus side my 3 year old ate her entire serving of the parsnips once I mixed them with mayo - so that's a win. On to tomorrow.

Mary... Originally, I thought the same thing about certain "must haves" during my first W30.  Some of these were cream in my coffee, pasta and cheese.  I have not had anything but black coffee (Americano) in over a year.  I have maybe had pasta 3 times and very limited cheese.  It is interesting how the "must haves" loose their power over you with time.  You made this choice and it is a good one.  No reason to feel sorry for your self.  When we give up things... there are mental games.  Don't let the mental games push you into negativesville.  You did the research, made an educated decision, and are following a path.  Stick with it sister and know that the future is bright!

Cheers

DJ

Hello September W30-ers! I haven't posted since I began my W30 on 9/2 but I've been reading your posts most days. I did a W30 in July with much success, then vacationed in early August and went gradually back to my old habits again, and now I'm back. I've been struggling a bit. Not with the template really--I feel like I have that down. And I'm a reader and a rule-follower so once I know how to do something, I do it! But the first time around, I felt so good, maybe because it was new or such a different feeling, I'm not sure. Mentally, I'm just not there yet. I am having pretty bad cravings for carbs (yesterday I drove by a Subway shop and lamented "I just want a sandwich!") and at night, I'm really wanting wine. Of course, it's only been a few days. I will ride out this discomfort because I know the rewards.

One of the things I'm really thinking about now is how do I want to structure my eating/lifestyle post whole 30 or 60 or 90... I don't want to see-saw between being on and off program. I think paleo is the way to go, but I need to talk with others, see what will work, etc.

Anyway, good to be here. DJ hope the program was good. I would love to go to one of those but I haven't seen anything on the east coast of North America. Good luck to all of you today.

I am having pretty bad cravings for carbs (yesterday I drove by a Subway shop and lamented "I just want a sandwich!") and at night, I'm really wanting wine. Of course, it's only been a few days. I will ride out this discomfort because I know the rewards.

I hear you on the sandwich! There is a local market that makes these incredible sandwiches and soups mainly from local ingredients on this huge piece of crusty bread. I used to allow myself one on Wednesdays when I was watching my  grain intake previously. I subscribe to them on facebook and they pop up in my feed everyday with what their specials are. I was thinking about unsubscribing for the whole30, but they are also where I get my local meats. Hope the cravings subside for you soon!

Anyway, good to be here. DJ hope the program was good. I would love to go to one of those but I haven't seen anything on the east coast of North America. Good luck to all of you today.

Maybe if enough "New Englanders" show some interest we could rally the Whole9 brigade here??? :)

Mary... Originally, I thought the same thing about certain "must haves" during my first W30.  Some of these were cream in my coffee, pasta and cheese.  I have not had anything but black coffee (Americano) in over a year.  I have maybe had pasta 3 times and very limited cheese.  It is interesting how the "must haves" loose their power over you with time.  You made this choice and it is a good one.  No reason to feel sorry for your self.  When we give up things... there are mental games.  Don't let the mental games push you into negativesville.  You did the research, made an educated decision, and are following a path.  Stick with it sister and know that the future is bright!

Cheers

DJ

I could not agree more.  You really will be surprised how things change over time!!  Also, when I have a 'fail' in the kitchen I am so disheartened so I understand.

Archived