no Gallbladder - should i be doing things differently?

BabsPal

I'm on Day 11 and it's going pretty good. This week I'm a lot more tired and have a very short temper. :(

So I had my gallbladder removed years ago. I wasn't overweight, I just happened to get gallbladder stones. Not fun! Anyway, not to be too graphic, but before I started the Whole30, everything I ate went right through me (if you know what I mean). Since I started the Whole30 I definitely go a lot less. I may have been a little bloated the 1st couple of days, but otherwise I feel fine.

My question is... should I be doing anything differently without a gallbladder as I know the gallbladder plays a role in digestion. I meant to ask before I started, but I totally forgot.

Hi, I still have my gallbladder, but probably not for long. I'm on day 6 and I've had really bad gallbladder attacks - which pretty much happened to me every time I tried to have eggs or meat/fish every day. So what enzymes would you suggest I add? 

Hi, I still have my gallbladder, but probably not for long. I'm on day 6 and I've had really bad gallbladder attacks - which pretty much happened to me every time I tried to have eggs or meat/fish every day. So what enzymes would you suggest I add? 

Eggs can be particularly hard on the gallbladder. Don't eat them if they make you suffer. Use other lean protein choices, mix your fats well with other things, try the enzymes, and maybe use more acid in your meals (vinegar, lemon juice) to help cut the fat (how it hits your body).

I don't think Whole30 should cause for cholecystecomy. 

Also, acupuncture can really help with gallbladder issues. YMMV, but I love it. 

I've had gallbladder issues in the past and have cured myself with pears :-) Whenever I feel an attack coming on I eat a can of pears (packed in juice, no sugar) or eat a fresh pear if I have one. Don't know what it is about pears, but within an hour the pain is gone and it will usually be several months before I feel that pain again.

There is also a gallbladder cleanse that I did once where you eat an apple a day for a week, or drink apple juice every day for a week. That softens any stones. Then one evening you drink olive oil and chase it with a glass of water with Epsom salts dissolved in it. The olive oil causes the gallbladder ducts to open up wide and the Epsom salts cause you to have loose stools and in the morning you pass any stones you might have had. Sounds gross, I know, but it saved me from surgery a few years ago. Couldn't believe how many I passed or how big some of them were. Since then, I've just done the pear thing every six months or so.

Archived