My Whole 48

smilingjudy

I started today and plan on going through the end of August. If my math is right, that's Whole 48. :) This is my third time through so I know it's worth the effort.

B: scrambled eggs, tomatoes from the garden, mixed berries

L: spinach, onion, roasted beets, balsamic, turkey sliders

pre-D or i'm gonna pass out: a few macadamias and cashews

D: salmon, quick-braised greens (chard) and onions, avocado & tomato salad

S: banana and almond butter

Still too much fruit. I'll figure this out again soon.

Thanks everyone. The sugar monsters are strong with me. Past experience tells me to seriously reduce or eliminate fruit intake to squash the cravings. But I am eating less of it than I have been recently. I'm not going to tightly restrict it just yet; going to watch and wait to see if I need to reign it in more.

Tom - You're right. Lunch wasn't big enough. But I wasn't hungry at the "time" I had available for lunch and ate less than usual. Then I went and did a bunch of manual labor which didn't help.

Day 2

B: mexicali beef; fried egg; handful of strawberries

L: spinach salad with roasted beets and balsamic; turkey sliders

D: unstuffed cabbage from http://amoderngal.co...stuffed-cabbage

S: banana with almond butter

post-2800-0-73750800-1342539262_thumb.jp

I eat pretty close to the Whole30 guidelines every day. But pretty close just isn't the same. I am feeling the positive effects of the change.

Day 1 - I remembered having a bunch of cool dreams

Day 2 - Headache most of the day (I never get headaches so I assume this was some sort of cleansing reaction)

Day 3 - Food obsession and hunger in general -> gonzo. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to eat because cravings are COMPLETELY gone and hunger level is super low.

Pretty crazy. Why is it so hard to remember how this feels when I'm off Whole30 and decide I really want some grain-free waffles?

Day 3 food (yesterday):

B: hard-boiled eggs; plum. I also had the same 2 brazil nuts that I eat every day (for selenium) but rarely log

L: leftover unstuffed cabbage; avocado and tomato salad

D: big-ass salad with italian chicken

S: blueberries; almond butter from the spoon (this is a no-no b/c it was a stress response)

I did a bajillion back squats and goblet squats yesterday. My legs are killing me....in a good way.

Day 4 food:

B: hard-boiled egg; brazil nuts

L: big-ass salad with shredded beef roast; plum

D: lemony baked cod; satueed greens (baby bok choy) and onions

S: strawberries and coconut milk; 5-second lemonade

Gosh, I love fish sauce.

Yesterday was mostly unremarkable other than the marked lack of hunger throughout the day. I made my summertime fave, 5-second lemonade, withOUT any sweetener. Usually it gets a hit of stevia. Tart, but drinkable. Funny how much more slowly I drink things when they haven't been sweetened.

There's a backlog of leftover greens in the fridge. Guess what's for breakfast today.

Is 5 second lemonade lemon juice in water? Clever!

Indeed! It's surprisingly satisfying. Add ice and/or sparkling water to make it fancy. A few frozen raspberries floating on top for extra panache.

If you have a high-speed blender, use LOTS of ice and crush it up all icee-like. Takes more than 5-seconds at that point, but so refreshing! I also like to blend it with baby spinach, but haven't been brave enough to try that without stevia yet.

In any form, highly recommended when you need to get things "moving".

Day 5 food:

B: scrambled eggs; leftover beet greens

L: big-ass salad with shredded beef; blackberries; couple macadamias

D: salt crusted bison burger; roasted broccoli; applesauce

S: mango coconut kevita

I bought the Kevita last week and only after I drank it did I remember it had stevia in it. Whoops! Oh, well. Usually when I treat myself to these things, they don't last an hour in the fridge. It was an odd case of bad timing.

Lots of hunger yesterday. I'm always MORE hungry on days I don't work out. Strange. Or maybe it was because I had that stevia…..

I eat pretty close to the Whole30 guidelines every day. But pretty close just isn't the same. I am feeling the positive effects of the change.

Pretty crazy. Why is it so hard to remember how this feels when I'm off Whole30 and decide I really want some grain-free waffles?

So true! I ask myself the same thing. And it's amazing how "pretty close" just doesn't do it. I also eat pretty close, but Whole30s make me feel so much better! I'm ten days from finishing my July W30 and then will have two months of riding my own bike. I really want to figure out how to not give in to random (not special) bread or cheese this time!

Your food looks good! Enjoy your W30!

No bread or cheese for me. :) I become a different person. Literally. I'm not sure if that's a blessing or a curse.

Congrats on 2/3rds finished!

What day am I on? Oh yes, Day 6 food:

B: mexicali beef; fried egg

L: big-ass salad with shredded beef

D: leftover bison burger; kale chips

Admittedly the kale chips are probably a stretch for a W30. But I'm sick of sauteed/braised greens. I have no taste for them during the warm months and it seems like they keep showing up in my veggie box. At least I could do something different with the kale. Besides - I have no emotional issues with "chips" so I think it's fine.

A bunch of emotional crap keeps popping up. It's clear that I've been hiding this stuff with food for years.

A bunch of emotional crap keeps popping up. It's clear that I've been hiding this stuff with food for years.

Wasn't it a Homer Simpson line? - get all those feelings and bury them in the pit of your stomach, then put food on top.

I think it's something a lot of us do. I found Tom Venuto and his writing about emotional eating a huge help along my weight loss journey.

Day 8 Food:

B: fried eggs; strawberry cream

L: giant salad with "butter" chicken

D: mac nuts while cooking; roasted broccoli; leftover beet greens; baked salmon

The strawberry cream was an interesting experiment. The ingredients were no different than eating strawberries with coconut milk. (1 c frozen strawberries, 1/4 c coconut milk, little bit of water; blended on the Blendtech's 'ice crush' cycle) But by blending it up, I entered into a danger zone where this might be considered a shake.

I normally don't eat such things at any time other than night. Because in my twisted brain, you save yummy "treats" like that for night time. But I'd been craving strawberries for a couple of days and I thought trying this at breakfast might be a good way to test if my brain is shifting. It was delicious, I enjoyed it slowly, and had no desire to keep going for more. It was perfect fuel (along with eggs) after my morning run. A victory, I think.

Day 9 food:

B: leftover unstuffed cabbage

L: ginger broccoli beef; few macadamias

D: giant salad with bison burger; blackberries

I'm in the Whole30 golden zone…..where I get to experience random moments of intense joy for no reason whatsoever. Love it.

hahahaaa! :) Thanks, Derval.

Day 10 food:

B: mexicali beef; hardboiled egg

L: giant salad with bison burger; blackberries

D: salmon croquettes; braised bok choi; sauteed zucchini and onions; blueberries

And then I went from gold to dust....... and the binge monster returned. berries, macadamias, coconut butter. ugh. At least I had a good run. Back on the wagon today, but I am trying to identify what the triggers were.

* Got home super late from job #1

* Didn't think I had the time to have some fun in the kitchen so I cobbled together leftovers for dinner

* Felt rushed to get to some work for job #2

(sigh) I think it was a combination of all three, but mostly the last one.

Archived