Bison... Tried it and didn't like it.

Maycat

We were doing errands today and I mentioned that I was hungry. I envisioned going back home and happily eating leftover grass-fed burgers. I wanted to go back, but hubby asked, where can you eat? He mentioned going to Wild Oak Cafe and asked if I could eat there. I reluctantly agreed, since they have bison burgers and a decent albeit expensive salad bar. I never had bison before but it was grass-fed and I thought I would try it.

Well I ordered a bison burger with tomato, onion, dijon, no mayo, and no ketchup, as a lettuce wrap. I took a few bits and just didn't like it. It tasted weird and too gamey. I am sure it would taste great if I poured the soy laden sauces on it, but I couldn't handle it plain. Luckily they also had compliant chicken so I got that. 

Does anyone else come across compliant food they just can't stomach?

Non grass fed beef isn't non-compliant, it's just not the best choice.

I haven't had bison, but grass fed anything is denser and leaner than grain fed. It could take a bit to acquire your taste for it. Or maybe it was just prepared badly.

Yes, maybe my taste buds are off. It didn't have a super-strong taste, I just couldn't stomach it. My husband tasted it and he said it was ok. I would have ordered a regular burger if they had one. It reminded me of when I was in Tibet and everything was cooked in yak butter and I couldn't eat anything because of the aftertaste. I couldn't eat chicken in Tibet or China because of the strong flavor. 

But my first Whole30, I made Well Fed's spinach and meat muffins but with grass fed beef from TG's. I couldn't eat those either! The beef tasted too grassy and the spinach made the grass taste even stronger.

I love to cook, I thoroughly enjoy good food, but will lose my appetite if it has a bad taste.

Archived