Post Whole30 Looking for Food Advice

vbv124

I am disappointed in the information available for those who have completed their Whole30 and want to live close to the program.  This was my first Whole30 (completed August 11).  I did it because I am trying to find allergies.  Therefore, I have to bring in foods that otherwise would not be on the program one at a time (so far I have done oatmeal, corn, brown rice, and whole wheat).  I get one new food per week, which makes this a long process for me.  Oatmeal is the one I am thrilled to have back as my morning workout was challenging me and not in a good way, the rest I can take or leave.  

On to why I am writing...I know there are healthy foods and not-so-healthy foods, however, I am trying to find information on the not-so-healthy foods as far as options that would be "better" and alternatives I may not have thought of.  For example, I would like to make a dip for a veggie platter, but what could you use as a base - sour cream? beans? etc?  Then if you venture down the road of sour cream (as an example) which is the "better" option, no fat? low fat? whole fat?  How about what to use as a thickener for soups or stews?  All the cooking methods I am aware of would use a rue (flour and butter), corn starch, flour, or white potato.

I believe in the health benefits of the program, and I do not plan to eat from the not-so-healthy items on a regular basis, but when making the decision of off-roading, I would like more information on how the foods stack up.  Since I can't find anything on the Whole30 site or the forums, does anyone else have a source?

What's healthy for one person may not be healthy for someone else. I'd say with dairy products, full fat is always better than reduced fat, & raw is best, then organic. Perhaps have a look at Mark Sisson's work for Primal eating - think Paleo with dairy added. Or the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, based on the Weston A Price Foundation principles - sort of Paleo plus raw dairy plus fermented grains. Both have websites you can browse around on.

Overall, the guidance post-Whole30 when choosing off-plan foods is more along the lines of asking yourself "Is it special?" and "Is it worth it?" Here is the Whole30 guide to nutritional off-roading: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Nutritional-Off-Roading.pdf

There is a lot of complexity in just the questions you raised in your post.  Something might be low fat, but it might contain all kinds of chemicals and preservatives, for example.

Out of curiosity, why are you reintroducing with a one week gap between food items?  The Whole30 reintro schedule calls for reintroducing one item, eating Whole30 for two days, then reintroducing the next item, and so on.

Off the top of my head, to answer your question in terms of resources you might want to explore the Eat This Not That book series. You also may want to browse the "Your Post-Whole30 Log" section of the forum.

The forum for you might really be Paleohacks, which is less about the Whole30 and more about Paleo (and Paleo-related stuff) in general. I know on the Whole30 they don't like to rank "less-bad" stuff.

I also agree with the Weston A. Price Foundation recommendation. It's not Paleo, but it's very much real food-oriented and there's a lot of concern over the same things (gut irritants, etc.)

Thanks, I will check the couple of Paleo sites recommended.  

@GFChris - I am doing one week delays because I am following my allergist's recommendation.  I actually have positive blood tests to being allergic to more foods than I am not.  For those with food allergies, you know that just because the blood test is positive doesn't mean it upsets the stomach.  Therefore, it is a trial and error and each food has to be brought in one at time and used for 7 days in order to see the effect or no effect.  So far the grains are not the issue, even gluten seems to be okay in my system.  Tomorrow I will learn what group of foods is next. I am pleased with Whole30 in that it really did reset my stomach so that I get hungry at "normal" ranges and can eat apples and raw garlic (not together) which I haven't been able to do for years without GI issues.  I am just trying to make educated decisions for when I finish the rotary plan for allergies as Whole30 makes sense to me.  I have read the off-roading piece and even in the flow chart it mentions is there a "less bad" option.  That's what I am looking for more info on.

Thanks again, and if anyone has other places I should look, keep sending them.

In regards to something like dips, you can use a homemade mayo as a base and then flavor it. I have had the best luck with this mayo recipe (made in my food processor):

http://mypathtopaleo.blogspot.com/2012/07/traveling-perfect-ranch-dressingdip.html?m=1

The ranch dip is amazing. You can also take your mayo base to make a chipotle lime dressing/dip. Same method used to make the ranch dressing, just different seasonings (I use salt, paprika, chipotle pepper powder and lime juice; all in amounts to taste preference). I make mine and keep it in the thick mayo consistency. So its like a chipotle lime mayo (or you can use coconut milk to thin to desired consistency), which makes a great topping on veggies (pan roasted carrots with salt, paprika and chipotle pepper powder rocks!!) and meats (recently on a mocha rubbed pot roast... So good!).

Also, coconut milk (full fat) makes a great addition to soups to give it more of a creamy base.

Archived