SimpleNotEasy's Whole 30 Log

SimpleNotEasy

Hi ~

I'm still figuring out how to use these forums. So here is my story...

Today, I am starting my second Whole 30.

I'm using the Whole 30 as a means toward healing from emotional eating - using food and wine to stuff my emotions. This is about healing and self-care, not weight loss. When I did my first Whole 30 in the spring of 2012, I experienced freedom as never before.

Somehow, I've fallen back into old patterns, so I am back for more healing. I know I'm going to need other tools besides the Whole 30, but one has to eat every day, and I know this way of eating will help me in the process.

I hope to use this space to journal honestly about the process.

Day 1 - complete. All good.

coffee, 3T coconut milk x2

3 scrambled eggs

broccoli roasted in coconut oil

rotisserie chicken over salad greens

homemade dressing w 1T red wine vinegar, 2T olive oil, s+p

olives, artichoke hearts

sweet potato roasted in coconut oil

double patty hamburger on lettuce wrap

tomato, pickle, mustard

decaf, 3T coconut milk

Lots of emotional upheaval at home which could've sent me running for the kids' snacks, but I refrained. I love the black and white of this program. There is no decision to be made. It's so much easier than trying to live in the land of moderation.

Day 2 is off to a good start.  :)

Day 2 was a success!

Meal 1

Coffee w 3T coconut milk x2

3 scrambled eggs

Few bites Applegate sausage (no unapproved ingredients)

Meal 2

Rotisserie chicken w T homemade mayo

Mixed green salad

Decaf w 3T coconut milk

Snack

Handful macadamias

Handful almonds

Coconut flakes

Meal 3

Chocolate Chili

Mixes greens w homemade vinegarette

Day 3 is going well. I'm tired today - not terribly unexpected since it's Day 3 and also cause I stayed up later than usual last night. Also, I took a walk with my puppy girl this morning (she is actually 4, but I still call her that) and it was really humid. Ugh. That saps ya a bit, you know?

I'm seeking to notice what I think, feel, and how I behave without judging myself so harshly. I am noticing that I'm reluctant to talk about the Whole 30 with anyone yet - except y'all. :) Wonder why? Reasons I'm thinking could be... I'm afraid of being judged (since I did a Whole30 before and had visible success and was vocal about it, but then fell off the wagon, regained the weight, etc.), I'm afraid of failing, I am afraid of my family's reaction - "Oh, Mom's on another one of her kicks." Also, I'm not very eager to admit that I've not been in a healthy place with food and wine and sort of want to gloss over that and just fix it myself. That would be pride. Hmm.... Those are the things that I can come up with for now.

Hey - I see that there have been a number of views of my log. Thanks for reading! Please comment and say hi so I can on know who is reading and maybe we can support each other. Since y'all are my only support at the moment, I'd love to know you.

Day 3 - success!

Let's see if I can recall what I ate yesterday...

M1

6 oz coffee, 3T coconut milk x2

3 scrambled eggs

broccoli roasted in coconut oil

M2

rotisserie chicken - mix of white and dark meat

kale roasted in coconut oil with lots of salt :)

half-caf coffee, 3T coconut milk

wanted a snack, but just waited it out (although I am not completely opposed to a snack sometimes, and as far as I know, there is not a Whole 30 rule against it. Am I right? Guess I need to look that up.)

M3

1 C ground beef taco meat

romaine

guacamole

salsa

decaf, 3T coconut milk

I know I'm not getting a ton of variety in my meals at the moment. Need to do a little bit of planning and try to mix it up some, but for now, I am happy that I'm making the necessary changes. This time last week by 5 p.m., I was eating handfuls of peanut butter pretzels and drinking a glass or two of wine. Know what I'm saying? 

I notice that my mood is MUCH improved the past two days. I feel almost light-hearted, which for someone who tends toward depression, is saying something. Wo-hoo!

Congrats on day 3! I'm on 25 - my first time. You are singing my song -  tunes I know so well.  I am excited to get to day 30 but I am thinking of starting again on Oct 1 - just to keep in the pattern of eating.  Blessings to you and try not to stress - I am a gramma who cooks for 3 other adults and 3 children who are not w30.  Sometimes very stressful especially when the toddlers are doing their best to be toddlers!

Hey Terry!

Thanks for stopping by. Your life is like mine - lots of cooking for a big group who's not eating the same way. I sneak in Paleo-friendly dinners by doing things like using spaghetti squash for myself and rice pasta (at least it's gluten-free) for the rest of the family.

Congrats to you on Day 25! I totally get the desire to extend or start again almost right away. Moderation land is sooo tricky!

Hi SNE

Your meals look pretty good - a couple of things though;

Perhaps check your rotisserie chicken, many are made with non-compliant ingredients. I'm in Australia so don't know about your stores but many people talk about "naked" rotisserie chicken

Snacks are discouraged - most people snack mindlessly! If you find yourself starving between meals, go for a mini meal of protein/fat/ vegies and consider upping your portion sizes the next day :)

Hi SNE

Your meals look pretty good - a couple of things though;

Perhaps check your rotisserie chicken, many are made with non-compliant ingredients. I'm in Australia so don't know about your stores but many people talk about "naked" rotisserie chicken

Snacks are discouraged - most people snack mindlessly! If you find yourself starving between meals, go for a mini meal of protein/fat/ vegies and consider upping your portion sizes the next day :)

Good point, Amberino. I've just been reading up on rotisserie chicken after reading your post and the ingredients (additives) are icky. Time to get to the Farmer's Market and buy my own whole chickens to roast. :)

Edit: I did also find this thread - apparently Whole Foods does have rotisserie chicken without the icky additives. Good to know for "one of those days." :) http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6128-can-i-have-rotisserie-chicken/

I do think I need to up my meal portions so that I am not physically hungry in the late afternoons. The past two days, I have had tummy rumblings that I've had to wait out. Not that it's a bad thing to do that sometimes, but maybe it indicates that I am not taking in quite enough at the mid-day meal.

I'm glad you commented. I welcome your input anytime. Thanks!

Day 4 went well. I did not feel like I needed to kill anyone or throw a chair through a window. :)

M1

-coffee, 3 T coconut milk x2

- 3 scrambled eggs

-broccoli roasted in coconut oil

Mid-morning

-coffee, 3 T coconut milk

M2

-Grilled chicken over greens w tomato, guacamole, olive oil, vinegar dressing

-decaf coffee, 3 T coconut milk

M3

-spaghetti squash with creamy gr beef tomato sauce (Preppy Paleo recipe - cashews make it creamy) over a bed of spinach

-decaf coffee, 3 T coconut milk

Today, Day 5, I am doing fine. Ate a few nuts and coconut flakes a little while ago - this was more emotional eating than it was hunger. Mammogram worries, likely nothing. Food does not solve my problems; I don't need to seek solace there. Wonder what I need to do to get my head straight? I've tried a lot of things over the years to solve my emotional eating patterns. Is it as basic as just putting one foot in front of the other to make good choices daily? Or do I need counseling or some other type of input? I wish I knew.

You really are singing my song!  I have done all sorts of things in my lifetime to quell the beast with in and food never stopped anything.

I do use coconut oil every time I can get away with it - whipped up in my coffee - and cooking with it.  CO more than EVOO seems to make me feel full and last longer inbetween meals.  I have always been a snacker and a grazer......as I've said before ...... I am getting a better handle on it the farther I go ---- I'm still weak wanting it --- but I feel really empowered when I don't .  A big glug of water has helped on occasion.  I keep thinking about snacking on fish and broccoli--blech - so that tells me I'm not hungry.

I am reading a book by Lisa Terkeurst called Made to Crave.  Our small church is doing a follow along study on it.  Great book - might answer some of your questions if you haven't read it already. 

PS - glad you didn't kill, wound, or maim anyone....LOL...just kidding!

Hi Sara, you are doing great! The word on feeling hungry in the afternoon seems to be not enough at breakfast rather than too small a lunch... Try it and see?

As for the rest, I am sure it is not simple but I know for me, removing biochemical cravings due to crap or trigger foods is at least half the battle. Good luck!

Hi Sara, how is it going?  I figured out how to get to your thread ;) It definitely helps with food ideas looking at what other people are eating.  I am on day 10, I can hardly believe it, a first for me going this long without sugar...I can do this!!!  I had a couple rough days of no energy, now have a nasty virus, but have been 100% compliant.  Just wanted to stop by and say hello to support you.  May post more later, my brain is not working at full function right now :wacko:   Have a great day!! 

What fun to log on and find some comments here. :)

Terry - it sounds like you are definitely making inroads into long time habits of eating for reasons other than hunger. Keep going! You are strong!

Juzbo - thanks for the tip about eating more at breakfast. I'll definitely try that tomorrow. And you are so right. Once the diet is cleaned up (a la Whole 30), the cravings go which makes a HUGE amount of difference. Your comment reminded me how much freedom I experienced from my emotional eating issues when I did my first whole 30 a year and a half ago.

Melymom - hope you get to feeling better ASAP! Good job on our first 10 days with no sugar. Thumbs up to you!

Ok - today was day 6. Things are going well.

I got good news back after my follow up mammogram, so that was a relief. I was thinking on the drive home how I'd like to celebrate with a glass of wine, but you know, that is kind of ironic. So instead, I choose to celebrate good health with making choices to further perpetuate good health!

Glad things are going well.  Hoping you can continue with no struggles.  There are just so many things one of which is alcohol, that are just so bad for us and our brains as well.  Good choice!

Hey Terry,

Thanks!

I wouldn't say I'm having "no struggles," :)  but I have not broken any of the official rules of the Whole 30 http://whole9life.com/2013/08/the-whole30-program/. I have had a few snacks of nuts & dried coconut flakes, which it would have been better not to have, but I'm not going for perfection, just sticking to the rules. 

How are you? You must be at about day 30, right? Was the birthday party today?

Oh - and I have read Made to Crave. Just came across it in a stack of books today. Think I will peruse it once more. Good reminder!

Hey Terry,

Thanks!

I wouldn't say I'm having "no struggles," :)  but I have not broken any of the official rules of the Whole 30 http://whole9life.com/2013/08/the-whole30-program/. I have had a few snacks of nuts & dried coconut flakes, which it would have been better not to have, but I'm not going for perfection, just sticking to the rules. 

How are you? You must be at about day 30, right? Was the birthday party today?

Oh - and I have read Made to Crave. Just came across it in a stack of books today. Think I will peruse it once more. Good reminder!

On Day 28......holding on......I had thought I would take a "few days off" and do a 2nd w30 starting October 1st -- now as I look at where I'm at - as to where I was - I probably will continue for another 30.  I will jump on the scale asap - but my reasoning for "taking a few days off" is just not valid -- my thoughts were to bake and of course eat paleofied goodies - bacon - etc. - then a reality check says I'm just not quite ready to add on the foods I have no control over.  Oh - I am not looking for perfect - just to be in control of the food I eat, instead of reverting to my uncontrolled munching and grazing.  I'm still finding that I am tasting "legal" foods as I cook, I'm still "looking" for a snack, and I just want to be shed of the feeling of fear when I think about eating some foods. 

We did have the birthday party - the pizza and the pizza sandwiches didn't look inviting at all - but I did go thru the salad bar twice - once for romaine and toppings of eggs, carrots, jalapeno, a bit of bacon and sunflower seeds(oops) and vinegar and oil - 2nd time was iceberg lettuce, etc.  I'm sure none of it was organic - why does a salad out taste so good - OH I KNOW ---I didn't have to clean it, chop it , fix it, serve it, or clean it up!!!!! LOL 

Enjoying the Made to Crave study and I started reading Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter.  I'm hoping hubby will read it (he's had 2 strokes, circulatory issues, etc and says "I'll eat wheat and what I want - too old to change".....grrr.    Have a great day today. 

Hi Terry - it makes a lot of sense that you would extend your Whole 30 to a Whole 60 (or whatever you choose) based on your reasoning. I Amy end up doing something similar. We will see. I'm not sure where you live, but at my Whole Foods, they sell a bacon made by Applegate which doesn't have sugar - it says so specifically on the label "No Sugar Added" - so maybe you could look into that, just to be able to have a compliant but tasty treat. :)

So this is Day 8 for me. I'm truly enjoying the freedom from regret. Lately, before this Whole 30, though I was mostly still eating paleo, I was allowing many extras in on a regular basis, and I would always be sorry later. It's terrific to live out what I desire to live out!

Well - I will check that out - I didn't think we could get any bacon with out sugar in it -- the only one I know of is Wellness Meats.  Our WF has Applegate - hmmm.  When I first went grain free (Wheat Belly---lost 34 pounds)  I ate bacon like it was a health food.  I slowed down quite a bit when I started reading about omega 3's and 6's.  I tip-toed around with paleoized paleo - ha - but I love the whole 30!  yeah day 29 done! You still sound strong and determined.  

Hi Sara, stopping by to say hi and see how you are doing?  I am on day 14, hard to believe I have made it this far.  I had a few challenges, eating out, meeting at a lounge, and lack of preparation, but have survived. Thursday I am going out for dinner to celebrate my girlfriends birthday, that will be a real test.  We go out for dinner and drinks once a month,  I caught myself putting gum in my mouth yesterday...I do miss gum.  Like you, I need to plan a little better and add some variety, particularly to breakfast.  This morning I looked in the fridge and nothing really appealed to me.  I ended up making two eggs and sauteed spinach in coconut oil, chopping up cantelope and pinapple and ate that with coconut shavings and a few cashews.  Maybe I will make some homemade sausages.  I have tried some of the Adelle all natural sausages which are pretty good.

I am feeling pretty good, hoping to start noticing some inches loss in this week.  I have abused my body with poor nutrition most of my life so it may take longer, besides having some imbalances with my hormones and hypothyroidism on top of that.  When you did your first Whole30 how long did it take to start noticing physical improvement/inches loss? 

I went out for a run last night  at 7, it is getting dark at that time already.  Do you workout?   

I hope that you are doing well, look forward to hearing an update. 

Have a great day

Archived