can i have any type of prepackaged salad dressing?

That's a very open ended question. There are tons of commercial dressings out there and I think you woukld be hard pressed to find any without added sugars (natural or otherwise). Why not just make your own? Just about all vinegars are approved (except malt vinegar, which I don't think anyone would use in a salad dressing). Use some Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar (or vinegar of choice), lemon juice, lime juice, and add some dried herbs of your own choice.

there's a recipe in Well Fed for an approved Ranch Dressing if you lean that way.

I started making my own dressing years ago and never looked back. My favorite is a clove of crushed garlic, Dijon mustard, aged balsamic vinegar and olive oil shaken up in a mason jar. It goes good on everything from salads to roasted veggies to steak and chicken.

Check Whole Foods. I bought a bottle there (it was 365 brand) that was olive oil, vinegar and herbs. Completely compliant. It is possible to find. Sometimes making your own isn't an option - like when you are running late and forget your lunch and run into the store to grab something. We make our own dressing ordinarily, but sometimes convenience is a necessity.

The problem with pre-packaged dressings and other condiments is that you do not know the quality of the products that go into it, even if it is compliant. Olive oil has been under fire for not being pure. It's easy to make your own dressing, and at least you really know what is in it.

Found one at Whole Paycheck yesterday that looked promising, though maybe too reliant on fruit juice? Ingredients are: water, white balsamic vinegar, tangerine juice concentrate, white grape juice concentrate, sea salt ,xanthan gum, lemon juice, orange peel. Says there are 4g of sugar in 2 tbsp serving. Thoughts?

Found one at Whole Paycheck yesterday that looked promising, though maybe too reliant on fruit juice? Ingredients are: water, white balsamic vinegar, tangerine juice concentrate, white grape juice concentrate, sea salt ,xanthan gum, lemon juice, orange peel. Says there are 4g of sugar in 2 tbsp serving. Thoughts?

There is no oil in the product. 4 grams of sugar = 1 teaspoon of sugar, per 2 tablespoons of the dressing. So if you use 4 tablespoons in a big salad, you are also eating 2 teaspoons of sugar.

Just my personal taste - sweet salads are not my thing.

While not technically off plan, I still think that homemade dressing is the way to go. You can always buy a bottle of cheap dressing, dump the ingredients, and use the bottle for your own dressing. JMO.

As long as you don't drink that dressing, you're fine ;0) It's not the number on the back of the bottle that we're concerned with, but the addition of refined sugar and your relationship with the food. The concentrates are less than ideal, so I might not make it your go to condiment at every meal, but a reasonable amount on a protein and veggie packed salad is fine.

Not every flavor they make is Whole30 compliant, but my Whole Foods (in Atlanta) carries several Tessemae dressings that are perfect for a Whole30.

The Zesty Ranch has the following ingredients: Olive, Oil, Organic Lemons, Organic Garlic, Mustard, Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Chives, Parsley, Dill Weed and Onion Powder.

Tbe flavor is quite good but IMHO it is just a bit heavy on the olive oil. One Tablespoon is 110 calories but at least it's a healthy fat and it doesn't take a ton of it to dress a salad. The cashier at WF told me the Cracked Pepper is her favorite. I am pretty sure that one is ok for a Whole30 too. It's nice to have an option when I don't want to make one from scratch or want to take a Whole30 dressing to a party or dinner. I found it in the refrigerated salad dressing section near the produce department at my store, not on the room temp shelf.

P.S. They also had coconut aminos back in stock today at my store!

• 1 year later...

To All,

I've just returned to school.  The cafeteria has an excellent and well-priced salad bar that includes, beyond the usual suspects, fresh spinach, nuts of various types, unsweetened dried fruits, seeds, etc.

I don't know what's in their salad dressings, however, and being liquid, is the densest component.  I'd like to save the money by using my own, without risking leaking baggies or resusable storage containers in my backpack.  I don't have a Whole Foods nearby, but there are a couple of health food stores nearby, and though I've never checked them for packets of pre-packaged dressing.  I'll do so, but assuming they don't, does anyone know where I might buy them online?

Thx, Sprinks

I heard a great idea on (of all places) food Network. Mix your vinegar and seasonings (garlic, salt, herbs, mustard to help emulsify) together and store them in the fridge. You can make a huge jar of it, it will stay good in the fridge for months. Then when you want a salad, just take a bit of the vinegar mixture, put it in your salad bowl (or another jar) and add your oil, whisk with a fork or shake the jar, enjoy! By leaving the oil out, it doesn't get thick and slimy in the fridge.

I find the best oil to vinegar ratio is 2:1, 2 parts oil to 1 part vinegar.

Archived