Day 22 Low Stomach Acid and Yeast Overgrowth

HeatherM

I'm on Day 22 and I've been dealing with bloat and stomach discomfort since about the 10 day mark. Last week I started supplementing with Digestive Enzymes (Trophic Supreme - vegetable based) (2 capsules per meal) and a Probiotic (Flora Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus) one capsule per day.  This helped a small amount, i.e. I could button my pants but they were still very tight.  Also, my skin cleared up quite a bit.

This morning I took the saliva test for yeast overgrowth and the result was positive.  I also took the test for low stomach acid which had a positive result as well.  I'm not surprised at all because, based upon the reading I've done, I am exhibiting most of the common symptoms.

I need to know what to do next.  On top of my list are the following:

1.  Eliminate Fruit

2.  Eliminate Coffee 

2.  Add a Betaine HCL supplement

3.  Take a shot of Apple Cider Vinegar with a squeeze of lemon juice in a glass of water prior to each meal

4.  Drink Ginger Tea Daily

5.  Continue with my supplements of Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes

Are there any other suggestions out there?  Has anyone else gone through this?  Any happy endings out there?

This is so frustrating.  

I would definitely add the HCL. I've been taking it for over a year, and it made a huge difference. I know I had low stomach acid because I was B12 deficient, I had GERD and I was on acid reducing drugs on and off for years. I would also have a lot of bloat and digestive issues.

I did give up coffee at one point, and that did help with the GERD. But now I'm back to drinking coffee daily (although I like a low acid coffee). But I can drink red wine, have chocolate and tomato sauce (obviously not when I'm doing W30) without issues now.

Ironically GERD for most people is caused by low stomach acid. You can't digest food properly and it just sits there and ferments and forms gas and then what little stomach acid you do have comes up with the gas.

Start by taking one or two HCLs with meals. You can build up to whatever you feel is helping you without giving you any kind of burning in your stomach. At one time I was up to 6 with each meal (especially meals with a lot of meat). But now I take 2-3, depending on what I'm eating.

• Moderators

I don't trust self-administered, self-interpreted tests, so it is not clear you should do anything based upon them.

You might need a higher dose of digestive enzymes for a period of time if you are continuing to have bloat and stomach discomfort. I am not knowledgeable about HCL, but I keep hearing good reports about taking it. 

Eliminating fruit and coffee would not be a bad thing, but I doubt it is necessary. 

I prefer eating fermented foods to taking a probiotic supplement, but taking a probiotic supplement is okay.

These things take time, so whatever you do, please give it time to work. 

I'm trying to be patient (not my strong suit).  I agree home administered/interpreted tests are not 100% reliable but it's what I have to go with at present.  

I'm going to increase the dose of digestive enzymes this morning and I'll hold off on eliminating fruit and coffee (because I really don't want to) but I will continue to limit it.

I'm eating fermented foods as well as taking a probiotic.  I'd prefer to eliminate the supplement as well.  Once it get through the $50 bottle of 30 capsules I'll migrate back to primarily fermented foods if I can.  

Just hearing people chime in that what I'm going through is not completely off the wall is a help.  I know this is part of the healing process and I need to be patient but sometimes it helps to have someone else tell me that.  Thanks :)

Maybe try a digestive enzyme that is not just veg-based? I really like Now Super enzymes (not all digestive enzymes are created equal!) I've also benefited from taking hcl (was given to me by a chiropractor when conventional docs were prescribing me prilosec). You can also get hcl from Now. And they are also sold on Amazon. Now products are really great - but maybe I'm biased because their company is located near me... :)

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Betaine-HCl-Capsules/dp/B000M4CD2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379984503&sr=8-1&keywords=betaine+hcl

• 1 month later...

I'm on Day 22 and I've been dealing with bloat and stomach discomfort since about the 10 day mark. Last week I started supplementing with Digestive Enzymes (Trophic Supreme - vegetable based) (2 capsules per meal) and a Probiotic (Flora Udo's Choice Super Bifido Plus) one capsule per day.  This helped a small amount, i.e. I could button my pants but they were still very tight.  Also, my skin cleared up quite a bit.

This morning I took the saliva test for yeast overgrowth and the result was positive.  I also took the test for low stomach acid which had a positive result as well.  I'm not surprised at all because, based upon the reading I've done, I am exhibiting most of the common symptoms.

I need to know what to do next.  On top of my list are the following:

1.  Eliminate Fruit

2.  Eliminate Coffee 

2.  Add a Betaine HCL supplement

3.  Take a shot of Apple Cider Vinegar with a squeeze of lemon juice in a glass of water prior to each meal

4.  Drink Ginger Tea Daily

5.  Continue with my supplements of Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes

Are there any other suggestions out there?  Has anyone else gone through this?  Any happy endings out there?

This is so frustrating.  

I'm having the same issues... I want to start making my own sauerkraut and I'm trying to drink Braggs ACV in water daily. I am considering buying some of the NOW Betaine HCL.

Thanks for posting the link jillian, I never buy things off of Amazon, but I like that it's cheaper than the NOW Foods website :)

Archived