Today is Day 29 - I don't think I'm ready...

XIIxOveR

So here I am, the spot I couldn't WAIT to be four weeks ago! But now I'm not so sure...

I like the way I feel. I like the progress my body is making toward healing yet I know I have a long way to go. I enjoy the feeling I get when preparing wholesome meals for myself and how this effort is slowly taking a foothold in my home with the rest of my family. I like my developing relationships with the people I've been paying to grow and harvest my food. I love (and hate) the awareness I've been developing of the way the food I've been eating all of these years has been impacting my health. And I like so, so, so much more.

I know that reintroduction doesn't negate any of these realizations or developing lifestyle changes but I have a pretty strong fear of reintroduction being a gateway into becoming more and more complacent in these areas to where I will eventually be back to the at least 29 items I put together on my "medical issue inventory" when I started this process (yep, 29 health issues).

I guess I'm not done. I hate to think that I won't be able to indulge in a little something quite yet but I honestly believe that I'm not ready. I am going to keep going *sigh*.

However, when I AM ready for reintroduction, I'm wondering if it would be a bad thing if I were to reintroduce more slowly. For example, rather than jumping in to eating dairy 3 times per day to see what dairy does I'd rather start by introducing little things - homemade BBQ sauce with a little honey or brown sugar in it, maybe use all the storebought "organic chicken broth" with sugar listed in the ingredients list so I don't have to throw it all away, stuff like that. Maybe start dairy with trying butter for a bit then maybe move to some cheddar cheese in my omelet for a bit. I don't miss gluton-based grains as much as I miss rice, rice wrappers and rice noodles so maybe start with imperial rolls and some sushi rather than go whole-hog, non-gluton grains?

Is there a reason to try to cram re-entry into a short, intense period? when I'm ready to start I don't want to mess with the process if it's really important to reintroduce in that way.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Xii

I had done a Whole 60 back in April and the only thing I have regularly added back in is a 1/2 glass of wine. Nothing else consistantly calls to me. No reason to force a reintroduction of anything you don't want. I have went off road probably 3 times(meals-not days) and have gotten right back on without issue or sliding down the slippery slope. Works for me!

• Moderators

I liked how I felt so much, I did not eat anything off plan for the first 4 months. And then, I did not do a full reintroduction. I just started eating at a broader array of restaurants. For example, I started going for lunch at Indian or Thai restaurants where I knew there was dairy and sometimes sugar in sauces and where I sometimes ate steamed rice with my food. 

I think by dragging out the actual reintro period - having a bit of dairy over a few days/weeks rather than just for three meals on one day - would allow some negative effects to build up so slowly that they may not be perceivable.

Whenever you choose to do it, I think doing reintro as per the book is a good idea if you're interested in knowing how specific ingredients effect you. One day for one "ingredient", a few completely compliant days to see if you have any reactions, another reintro etc. only do reintro's for those things you plan on including in your diet :)

Thanks amberino, points well taken. That makes a lot of sense.

When I'm ready to start reintro I'll try to follow the protocol but will base it on the foods I hope to keep eating.

Today is Day 30!

Xii

Happy Day 30!

It's my first Day 30, too, and I feel the same way! I'm going to reintroduce gluten only to figure out if I have a sensitivity. Otherwise, I think I'll stick with the Whole30 for the most part. I like what I'm eating and I like that I like what I'm eating. I don't want to do anything that will compromise that.

Best wishes!

I would add that when you do the reintro period, don't necessarily do all grains at once. It says all non-gluten grains over one day, but if I hadn't done them separately, I wouldn't have noticed my weird reaction to corn or at least known that was what caused it if I'd also eaten, say, rice that same day. 

I thought I'd post an update. I decided not to reintroduce anything on Day 31. On Day 35 (yesterday) I decided to reintroduce dairy and today I have noted the following:

1) It was really nice to have cheddar in my omelet yesterday morning

2) Adding cheese to a salad at lunch was ok but didn't really change much

3) My first cup of coffee in over a month (because I don't like it without cream) failed to impress me, I'm going to continue going without

4) I like my burgers just as much without cheese as I remember liking them with cheese

5) The ice cream I was SO looking forward to ended up being yummy but totally anticlimactic

6) The bloated, gassy sensation I'm experiencing today is not likely a coincidence

All in all, I discovered that life without dairy was fine. I liked the fact that I could decide to have a treat with the kids yesterday but I can see dairy being a periodic, at best, indulgance - most likely manifesting as cheese in my omelet and the rare acceptance of flatulence-resultant ice cream. :rolleyes:

I'm kind of disappointed but relieved at the same time. I thought I would be desperate and depressed after missing dairy so much then finding that it made me too sick to eat. Instead I found that I didn't miss it a ton and that I don't care much for the feeling it seems to have brought me but it would be somewhat tolerable from time to time if the occasion was ripe.

Not sure if/when I'll reintroduce the next thing, I doubt highly that I'll be doing gluton-based grains anytime soon, too much of a trigger for me so I want to be a little more solid in my new lifestyle first. I do want to experience what they do to me though just so I know so I'm sure I'll come back to them at some point.

I am interested in introducing some rice products to see how that goes - sushi rice, rice wrappers, and some rice noodle is my plan for rice-reintro day (whenever that will be). I also don't see reintroducing legumes in my near future, I just don't miss them other than Hoisin sauce (soy) and the periodic tempeh. I find that coconut aminos and almond butter are doing a fine job otherwise.

Just trashed some bottles of veggie oils that were still in my cupboard, I had to make room for the two 54-ounce coconut oil jugs that should arrive today, I'm in love with the stuff! I also made a big batch of beef bone broth and saved the tallow for cooking, all from grass-fed sources so I'm psyched to use it!

Anyway thanks all for your feedback!

Xii

Archived