Depressed

mags79

I'm on day 28 and have been getting pretty depressed the past week. I started exercising last Friday, had a really hard weekend, had a decent week until Friday, with exercising and eating so well I had lots of energy, but then had a super hard weekend again. Last night I went to bed at 8 and stayed in bed until 8 and just felt like crying and staying in bed all day. There is reason to feel overwhelmed, but this is pretty bad and I'm wondering if food could have something to do with it. I'm tempted to have a nice bowl of hot oatmeal, but want to give things a chance. I've noticed that my fat consumption has gone down this week since I've been trying to stick to the pre and post workout meals, but then don't have time for another full meal until lunch. Right now I'm having hubby cut me up some hard boiled eggs and an avocado for "dinner".

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling good :( stress, both physical and emotional, without the proper nutritional support can effect you both physically and mentally I think. Fats are particularly important for brain health and mood. You may also have underestimated your starchy vegie needs - I know I did on my whole 30! If you've been exercising a lot you need to get these in to you as well.

Is there a reason you can't eat your pre/ postWO meals and the 3 normal meals? I'd suggest easing up on the exercise a little and getting in to a better place mentally. Perhaps doing less workouts would be beneficial, or try something less intense?

I don't think oatmeal will help at all - besides being "comforting". Sticking to the template will though! Plenty of fats like you suggested, and vegies along with your protein. Perhaps get hubby to make you some starchy vegies?

Have you been having carb-dense vegetables daily? That may help.

Carb dense veggies include sweet potato, jicama, acorn squash, butternut squash, carrots, beets, parsnips and rutabaga.

I hope you feel better soon. Do you have a history of depression? If so, what has helped you in the past?

I do have a history of depression, but never controlled by medication. I had ppd and counseling helped with that. The exercise overall has been great, the days I have exercised have been the better days. I made a butternut chicken mash to have for post workout meals. And have tried to have at least something small before. I get home from the gym and my kids are up and need to eat, I need to shower before hubs leaves for work and then it's time to start school with the kiddos. If we don't start school well in the morning then that overflows to the rest of the day, so stopping to make myself a second breakfast is tough. Neither of my kids independent learners yet (K and a struggling 3rd grader), plus I have a 3 yo that needs care during that time. I've tried to get ahead in the kitchen, but Saturdays and Sundays fill up quick with my crew and before I know it the weekend is over, the kitchen is a mess and I've got a school week ahead of me and no food prepped.

I do have at least one carb dense veg daily and while my exercises are challenging, they are not super intense. I walked into a crossfit gym, had a consult and the trainer/owner thought I'd do better at having some personalized attention at his other gym before going to CrossFit. So he has me there 4-5 days/week slowly building my strength and endurance, but not pushing me to fatigue.

Everything that amberino said. Fats and starches and taking it easy with the exercise. The fats especially, but the starchy veggies also become really important with so much exercise.

Can you add some coconut oil or coconut milk/cream to your consumption as well? I can't stand coconut oil as is as I get really nauseous, so I've been just adding some medium-chain triglycerides in powder form in my coffee and it's been great brain food. I would still rather get the MCTs from the coconut, as it also contains lauric acid. Also, fatty fish (or fish oil capsules with a lot of EPA/DHA if you don't get enough fatty fish).

Be kind to yourself. I hope you'll feel better soon.

I was feeling overwhelmed this weekend too. Between the special trips to get the food I need and then doing all the cooking (and cleaning up) I feel like I have no time to myself on the weekends. But if I don't do it, then my health suffers.

I am on anti-anxiety/depression meds. They are helping me. I think I am my own worst enemy at times, I make little problems out to be bigger than they are and I get on this roller coaster of anxiety and then depression over it.

I might suggest easing off the training a bit. Take time to relax by yourself, meditate, take a nice hot bath, take a nice walk (not for exercise, just for fun). 

I was the most depressed and pessimistic version of myself during my first Whole30 (it was truly scary for me) until I started eating more starchy veg - AT EVERY MEAL. Yes, I eat sweet potato or winter squash at almost every meal. And not just a little bit - I don't view sweet potato as inferior to fat or protein. It is the difference between a pessimistic, sad, pensive me or an energetic, optimistic, loving and stable-mood me. Exercise helps, too - but don't underestimate the power of sweet potato.

A couple of pre-prep items that you can do the night before so you might be able to squeeze in a second breakfast:  I got a hardboiled egg maker-- sounds stupid and unnecessary  but it's one less pot to keep an eye on and wash. Do it the night before.    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005KIRS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  My go to easy starchy veg is canned pumpkin or canned sweet potato (found in the baking aisle-- my store has organic ones and regular).  The night before, divide into tupperwares and mix with cinnamon (I love vietnamese cinnamon-- makes a huge difference-- you can order from penzeys.com or get from costco).  In the morning, heat it up and eat.  With that, three eggs, add a fat and you've got no-prep second breakfast. 

I bought pre boiled eggs. I HATE peeling eggs, so decided it was worth it for me. :) I'll up the starchy veg for sure. This is the first time I've exercised in years, so I don't really want to give that up, I'm already feeling stronger. Tomorrow is day 30, I'm wondering if I should stick with this for awhile longer to see if my emotions settle or if I should try introducing a couple of things like quinoa and rice? I do plan on baking some paleo goodies to help my family make better choices during the holiday season.

For some strange reason, fruit just doesn't have the same effect as starchy veg. This is my experience. Sometimes after having a meal that's a bit light on starchy veg, I'll have a banana with some toasted coconut - but always after a full meal that includes plenty of veggies. Having fruit immediately after a full meal slows down the absorption of sugars and keeps me feeling more "steady". A baked apple may also be nice. I use my food processor to shred about 8 cups of sweet potatoes (without the skin) and store it in the fridge. This makes it extremely convenient to toss a heaping handful into a pan whenever I'm making a meal. Shredded hash brown sweet potatoes seems to go with almost everything I cook- much more so than a baked sweet potato (tastes too sweet to me). The purple sweet potatoes are a bit drier and toast up nicely in a pan - but their white flesh oxidates much more quickly so I can't store it pre-shredded in the fridge.

Archived