Camel Natural Sesame Bar "Halvah"

lezuka

alories

140 Sodium 20 mg Total Fat 9 g Potassium 0 mg Saturated 2 g Total Carbs 14 g Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 2 g Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 4 g Trans 0 g Protein 3 g Cholesterol 0 mg     Vitamin A 0% Calcium 8% Vitamin C 0% Iron 8%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Ingredients:  Pure milled sesame seed, malted Corn Barley Syrup (I know, I know), Pistachios, Egg Whites, Natural Flavor, Soy Lecithin.  

But only 4 g of sugar.   :-)  

• Moderators

Maybe we need to have an in-service presentation on how to apply the Whole30 guidelines.

The only thing that matters on an ingredient label is the ingredients. Quantities are irrelevant. In this case, you have two red flags and one yellow flag. The first red flag is corn barley syrup. I don't know exactly what this is, but it includes corn and barley. Both are poison as far as the Whole30 is concerned. And worse, they are made into a syrup, which is added sugar, another Whole30 poison. So this product has poison times three in one ingredient! The second red flag is soy lecithin. Soy is another Whole30 poison. (Note: no where does It Starts With Food label these ingredients as poison. They do kill you slowly like poison, but I am am free lancing here to call ingredients out as poison). And finally, the yellow flag, natural flavor. Natural flavor as an ingredient is ambiguous. It probably is not poison, but it is not a good sign on an ingredient list. 

Yeah, especially because people choose to do a whole30, they are not forced... and asking others if it is okay to break the rules seems silly because you are only cheating yourself... then again if people ask because they want to be told no to make it easier for them to not do it, I understand that....

C'mon folks, our original poster DID label her post "wishful thinking"!  I think she's just hoping (like I always hope the Clif Bars that sit next to the Lara Bars have turned compliant overnight).  :lol:

Also, I do think that it's helpful to have another set of eyes on the ingredient list.  I say this because throughout my first Whole30 (a roaring success by all possible measures) I used a store brand organic beef broth.  I read the damned ingredient list over and over and over before purchasing.  Well after my first Whole30 was over (I may have been into my third or fourth by that time) I picked up the broth, flipped over to the side of the tetra-pack, and immediately spotted the word HONEY in the ingredients list.  Imagine the curse words flowing in my brain at that point.  I swear that I had read that dratted ingredient list MULTIPLE TIMES before settling on that broth as safe for Whole30.  I didn't feel like I had messed up on my Whole30(s), I felt like I'd been had!! 

Anyway, lezuka, no halvah.  You might be interested in the website theclothesmakethegirl.com, and her cookbooks, Well Fed and Well Fed 2.  I think the recipes will tickle your tastebuds with excellent and exotic and (here we pause to listen to the angels singing) COMPLIANT foods and meal ideas.  happysniffle

AmyS - Companies do change the ingredients, so maybe there wasn't honey when you were originally purchasing the broth.  It's crazy what they put in stuff.  I buy almost nothing in a package anymore.  

Yeah I've given up on almost everything in a package too (though you'll have to pry the big can of tomato paste from Safeway out of my cold, dead hands :ph34r:  ).  And it's possible they altered the ingredients later.  I suspect, though, that I was simply not alert enough to spot the big baddies in random packaged foods when I first read (and re-read) that particular set of ingredients.  It really did take me a while to understand that sugar and soy are in pretty darn near everything in a package.  (But don't touch my tomato paste. :angry:;):lol: )

Archived