bone broth between meals

KathyV

Is it ok to have some bone broth or hot tea between your meals if you are feeling a little hungry but not enough to eat a full meal?  This usually happens  about one hour before I am ready to eat my next meal.  I don't want to get too hungry otherwise my meal will go down too fast and I will have a tendency to possible over eat.

It IS ok, but not ideal.

If you are hungry between meals I would take it as a sign that you are not eating enough at the meals themselves. It is worth trying to address it by eating a bit more (perhaps more protein or fat specifically), but if you find yourself hungry and bone broth is available, I think that is a fine choice.

I will try to experiment with adding more protein/fat to my meals esp. on days that my work-outs are more demanding and adding more veggies is not a problem either, I just don't want to over eat and get that uncomfortable feeling about a hour or so afterwards...ugh

thank-you for your in-put, I am new and all you guys in Whole30 Land are great!

If you are more hungry on your workout days--are you adding in your pre and post workout meals? that may make those days easier--a hard boiled egg or 2 before and 1/2 a chicken breast and some sweet potato, squash or carrots after for example--might make life better with your workouts. 

I find it easier to do the hard boiled egg before I workout, but afterwards I use a glutamine and BCAA supplement and sip on that while I make my first meal.  My supplement are pure glutamine and BCAA no extras listed.  For my first meal I will include a sweet potato, squash, carrots or any other rooted veggie or a small amount of berries(but not often).  

This morning I did up my protein(4oz. grass-fed beef and 3 whole eggs) Nappa cabbage(3 leafs) 4 brussel sprouts, 3 shitake mushrooms, 2 scallions, fresh ginger, fresh parsley and cilantro, 1tsp. coconut oil(for eggs and meat) mixed all that into 1TBS mayo(from recipes in Well Fed) and 1TBS Braggs apple cider vinegar.  This is a typical breakfast for me, but on the w/o days I will add the rooted veggies or sm. amount of berries.  Also, on my w/o days I will include rooted veggies in my next meal.  The Third meal will consist mostly protein, fat and veggies.  Should I include more rooted veggies in my third meal too? 

I would replace your glutamine and BCAA's with a postWO meal - unless you're trying to grow some serious muscle, you will probably be fine with actual food, and not need the extra supplementation. plain chicken and sweet potato tastes a whole lot better than unflavoured glutamine and BCAA'S!!

i'd have the postWO straight away, and your proper meal about an hour after. having a meal with fat as your postWO will slow digestion and the absorption of nutrients - this is the opposite of what you're aiming for!! postWO should be a meal sized portion of lean protein, and starchy vegie carbs - little to no fat.

I will do a HB egg before and Lean Protein and starchy veggie carb w/little to not fat, post workout.  Would it be possible to use my post work-out for my first meal?  Or would that not be a good idea.  

I thank everyone in advance for your help and advice.

Would it be possible to use my post work-out for my first meal?  Or would that not be a good idea.  

This is what I do: I have a HB egg pre-workout, then as  eat meal #1 after my workout, as quickly as I can manage. I include a bit more lean protein at this meal and I do not include much fat (fat slows digestion, and post-workout you want to get that nutrition in ASAP). Amberino will disagree with this approach, most likely  ;)  but it comes down to your personal experience and goals.

For me, this approach is good enough, and potential performance gains from inhailing a can of tuna+some sweet potatoes in front of my gym locker are not worth it (for me, right now)...that said, I DID try the "optimal" approach for a while before I came to this compromise, and I may go back to it in the future if I'm chasing a performance goal and think it might help. YMMV.

This is what I do: I have a HB egg pre-workout, then as  eat meal #1 after my workout, as quickly as I can manage. I include a bit more lean protein at this meal and I do not include much fat (fat slows digestion, and post-workout you want to get that nutrition in ASAP). Amberino will disagree with this approach, most likely  ;)  but it comes down to your personal experience and goals.

For me, this approach is good enough, and potential performance gains from inhailing a can of tuna+some sweet potatoes in front of my gym locker are not worth it (for me, right now)...that said, I DID try the "optimal" approach for a while before I came to this compromise, and I may go back to it in the future if I'm chasing a performance goal and think it might help. YMMV.

I don't disagree - but I know when I don't include fat in my meal, i'm likely to be hungry not long after!!

if meal 1, without fat, was my postWO i'd likely be wanting a mini meal later. effectively i'd probably eat the same amount of food, just somewhat differently :P

I'd probably eat the same amount of food, just somewhat differently :P

Oh, it is probably about the same amount you eat (I do at least a palm and a half of meat and tons of veg)...and...I do save a HB egg (a little bit of fat) for the end of meal #1 for exactly that reason.

I did do the egg before my workout(It was an hour of HIIT) and a serving size of chicken breast and half of sweet potato(approx.3-4oz) then showered and got ready for work, then ate my first meal:  Serving of chicken breast and a serving of shepherds pie(from well fed) few cherry tomatoes romaine lettuce half-TBS mayo and half-TBS tomato paste thinned out with apple cider vinegar and slice of avocado.

This was good for me today, cause I felt hunger this morning.   Well see how my hunger goes today.  If that works on days that I wake up hunger, I will continue to use it,  but on the days I wake up no so hunger I will try the meal one option instead after my workout.  I just have to listen to my body.   I love how eating this way makes me more aware of how you should eat and realizing that I can make through a day with only 3 meals a day( which was hard, because I was a 5-6 meal/day person), but I do feel better eating this way.  Im  glad I can across  this program!!!!! :D

I don't disagree - but I know when I don't include fat in my meal, i'm likely to be hungry not long after!!

if meal 1, without fat, was my postWO i'd likely be wanting a mini meal later. effectively i'd probably eat the same amount of food, just somewhat differently :P

If meal #1 is used as a post w/o meal, and you up your protein ( two - two-and-half size portion) and decrease your fat to 1 Tbs  couldn't you get the sustainment that will last until my next meal(approx. 4.5-5 hrs after first meal) or is that not a good idea....   I have been adding the HB egg first thing in the morning when I get up/before my workout (which is 3 am)...that's crazy!  but is works for me ;)

If meal #1 is used as a post w/o meal, and you up your protein ( two - two-and-half size portion) and decrease your fat to 1 Tbs  couldn't you get the sustainment that will last until my next meal(approx. 4.5-5 hrs after first meal) or is that not a good idea.... 

That's what I do, well, maybe a bit less than 1 thumb of fat (and I do wait until the very end of the meal to eat it). Give it a try and see how your energy/hunger/performance is impacted.

I think bone broth is best on it's own, rather than as part of a meal.  So in that case, you would have no choice but to have it between meals or after your last meal of the evening.  If you find you need a 'little' something between meals once in a while, I imagine broth would be a good choice since it's pretty dense and filling.  

I like it in the evening after dinner when i am winding down before bed, plus at that time of night, it generally helps me avoid opening a bottle of wine or scotch or something.  

Hi Missmary, in the cases you mentioned above, IE as a base for soup or replacing the liquid in a recipe, I agree with you.  

I rarely do that, I make it and just drink a mug of it every day, so I meant that I prefer to drink it separately from my meals as it's fairly filling on it's own and I feel like if I drank it with a regular meal I would get too full and need to lay down or something.

I rarely do that, I make it and just drink a mug of it every day, so I meant that I prefer to drink it separately from my meals as it's fairly filling on it's own and I feel like if I drank it with a regular meal I would get too full and need to lay down or something.

haha. ok, cool, just curious. Enjoy your bone broth!

Archived