Schools supplementing grainless lunches to meet guidelines?

1Maryann

I just saw this article and couldn't believe it.  This woman sent her two children to school with meat, potatoes, carrots, an orange and milk.  The meals were lacking a grain, so the school 'supplemented' their lunch with RITZ CRACKERS and charged her $10!  What kind of insanity is this? 

http://freepatriot.org/2013/11/20/government-policies-out-to-lunch/

Agreed, Robin, but they didn't give them whole wheat toast, or some brown rice.  They gave them Ritz crackers!  How brain dead do you need to be to think that supplementing a meal with overly processed wheat flour actually supplements anything?  They probably count peas and corn as vegetables, too.  I just think it's outrageous that someone with no nutritional knowledge would presume to supplement a meal like this.  Why not just give them a piece of chocolate cake?

It just shows how poor nutrition training is. It's one thing to just be clueless about it. But to be the one setting standards without knowledge and forcing those standards on the children in your charge is outrageous. I agree that the Mom should have known to send a note to the daycare stating that the kids were on a grain free diet and the other veggies were enough.

Agreed, Robin, but they didn't give them whole wheat toast, or some brown rice.  They gave them Ritz crackers!  How brain dead do you need to be to think that supplementing a meal with overly processed wheat flour actually supplements anything?  They probably count peas and corn as vegetables, too.  I just think it's outrageous that someone with no nutritional knowledge would presume to supplement a meal like this.  Why not just give them a piece of chocolate cake?

That's what my hubby said - "They should have gotten a big piece of cake for that money!"

• 3 weeks later...

The mom was/is on the board of that particular school so she knew the policy as she helped write it. I don't agree that Ritz are considered a grain, but the school is at least making an attempt to provide a "balanced" meal. I DO homeschool my girls so this will not be a problem for us, but a note to the school outlining your dietary rules should be sufficient I would think. Even getting signed by a doctor shouldn't be too hard providing you have a good relationship and they are aware of your concerns.

Archived