Grass fed pork?

Lexie1221

I was having a conversation with my friend last night about raising pigs and he said that when he used to raise pigs they were primarily grain fed with the exception of slops. He said he didn't think that pigs could be raised for slaughter without feeding them grain. It got me wondering if the pork I have been buying is actually whole 30 compliant. On the label it says hormone free, antibiotic free, and vegetarian fed. Is it possible to buy pork that is grass fed? Or raise a pig that isn't grain fed? What do pigs actually eat if they aren't being fed grain?

Pork is not a ruminant, and it is not "designed" to be grass fed. The best you can hope for is organic, vegetarian-fed pastured pork. The feed will have some grain, it's true, and from what I understand this is ok for a pig. Pigs are omnivores, so those with access to pasture will eat bugs and worms and stuff in addition to their feed (which is a good thing), but the non-vegetarian feed tends to be poor quality, so "vegetarian fed" is a tip-off that this farmer is prioritizing health for their animals.

Of course, the whole30 doesn't tell you you have to eat any particular kind of meat. Just eating real meat and vegetables at every meal is "good enough" to get results, but for those who want to go above and beyond, I would suggest favoring ruminants--eating more grass-fed beef and lamb than other meats--and choosing pastured pork and poultry when you choose to eat it.

Great article. I try to buy all our pork at the farmers market which has Berkshire pork that is pasture raised. We got some St. Louis ribs from there last night and they were so succulent.

Now I feel much better. Yesterday, while shopping, I got so confused about pork and poultry being fed a vegetarian diet--which I knew included grains (friend grew up on a pig farm)--I simply didn't buy any. I even posted a similar question.

Archived