Even though I finally like wine...

Alliea

My second Whole30 starts today with husband, and off to a rollicking start. I discovered after I drank it that the coconut milk powder I use in my coffee has maltodextrin and sodium something or other in it. Really, the situation could be worse. It means that I'm counting my start as at lunch today rather than breakfast, and I'll add either breakfast or a whole day on at the end. Would have been much worse to have this happen halfway through. All the same, this reminds me of the despair I felt during the first Whole30 when I really began reading product labels and discovered there is sugar and salt in everything. Almost seems like if you don't kill it or grow it yourself, someone has stuck a chemical of some sort in your food. 

All the same, I feel optimistic. I didn't find it horribly hard the first time and I incorporated some long term changes into my eating that will make it easier to transition this time. However, I am just off a holiday carbohydrate binge that tops anything I did since the first time, AND I like white wine now. I've been trying to get myself to like wine for years, finally developed a taste for it, and now very much look forward to the glass of wine I have most evenings. I also discovered whisky sours (I used to be a bartender and had no idea those things were so awesome). So now, of course, I'm asking myself why I'm so concerned about giving up the alcohol for 30 days. Hard to imagine I'll have any alcohol withdrawal given the amount I'm drinking, so I think I'm mourning in advance the social routine my husband and I developed around having a drink when we got home from work. Fizzy water just doesn't seem as attractive. 

Or maybe all this focus on alcohol is meant to distract me from what I'm really worried about, which is the stomping carbohydrate withdrawal that I'm probably going to get flattened with. Happened the first time--muzzy headed, half dead halfway through the day, etc.--and I expect it this time. Ah, well, maybe a little cheese with my whine, right? I'll get through. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day two and things are going more smoothly. Legal coconut mild secured! I remember from the first time this interesting sense that I'm doing a science experiment with my eating and body, and I'm back in that place. Clearly I'm able to take a cool interest in things because I haven't had the carbs crash yet. It's coming. It's circling the parking lot around my work like a big, sticky, sugary shark. 

I'm trying to decide whether the year or so gap between the last time and now means I need to redo my eating out research in case the restaurants have changed anything. Last time I checked, Paleo legal at Chipotle was: carnita salad (no dressing) with mild salsa and guac. All their other meats are cooked with soybean oil, but for some reason, the carnitas aren't. There is no sugar or anything else illegal in the mild salsa, guac, or meat. Not sure about the hot salsa. Paleo-legal at Five Guys is: hamburger with tomato, lettuce, grilled green peppers, onions, mushrooms (they use a flat grill and no oil--yeah!). No ketchup, mustard, bun, or (damn it) french fries, of course. All the same, it's good to know I have some eating out options if I don't get it together to prepare in advance. I also need to revisit Panera's secret menu. There were one or two things that were fine, but now I don't remember which. I do remember that the couple of options weren't particularly good, but in a pinch, right? 

Don't you love that circling shark of a carb crash.  Hopefully it's quick and fairly painless.  I envy your options for eating out.  We have literally nothing - no, we have sashimi.  I'd love a good visit to Chipotle.   The alcohol thing is interesting isn't it.   We certainly enjoyed some drinks over the holidays.  My husband wanted a wine last night and then we had a discussion if it was the alcohol or the sugars triggering the desire (or maybe the habit, but neither of us think that's it).  I think it's the sugars but really I don't have a clue!  We didn't have any.  Good luck with those sharks.

we had a discussion if it was the alcohol or the sugars triggering the desire 

Gleeps, I didn't even think of the sugars. That makes the most sense, doesn't it? Thanks for the good wishes--what day are you on?

And it's day three! I can tell I've been low energy for the last couple of days, but seriously, if that's the crash, I'm feeling pretty lucky. I hope the hubris gods aren't listening and trying to decide when to smack me down. Last time, I never did experience feeling wildly euphoric like some people say--wonder what's in their coconut milk that I haven't discovered yet? I am, however, already feeling more in control and better about my body. Hubby has been crabby and withdrawn the last couple of days. Could be work, or could be adjusting to Paleo. I'm managing to not take it personally, which is always a victory. I'm writing this log mainly to keep myself on track, but if anyone's reading it, here's a shout out to things being relatively unbumpy for you as well. Wherever you're at with it--it's worth it, keep going!

We would be on Day 7, but we had a slice of paleo cake last weekend so we started over and are on Day 3 right now.  However, I don't think the paleo cake really threw things off so timeline wise, we're feeling day 7 stuff.  My daytime energy has been low, but my evening energy has been really good.  It's nice.  My morning moods around my husband?  Not so good.  :)  I will ride it out and in a week or so things should be much better.  I wouldn't mind some tiger blood either.  It hasn't happened in the past, but I figure I have a lot of healing to do.

And Day Four, winding down, m/l. I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to prop myself up with extra caffeine, but I'm tempted at the moment. Mild afternoon dragginess for sure. I've had some odd problems with hunger over the last couple of days--things like my stomach is rumbling and I feel hungry shortly after a large meal (with adequate fat in it). No strong cravings, but I'm pretty regularly overdoing the nuts because I have a bunch at work and I tend to procrastineat. I walk to work most days (about two miles there, and maybe .5 miles back with a short bus ride thrown in), and also walk lots of other places, but I suspect I need to add more strength training than I do. The 7-minute workout is about it. It's a pretty good one with all the pushups, but it is just 7-minutes after all and I'm not even consistent about that. 

Blah blah blah--this Whole30 feels endless at the moment, but it's not because I have something that I'm dying to eat that I'd love to ditch it. More like, I'd rather not think about it right now. Hmmm, all this sounds like carb withdrawal talking. I have no intention of stopping, but I'm rather enjoying complaining!

We would be on Day 7, but we had a slice of paleo cake last weekend so we started over and are on Day 3 right now.  

I give--what's Paleo cake? Sounds kind of good, but if it forced you to start over...

Day Five and still going smoothly. I took last night's mashed cauliflower and stir fried it a bit with my breakfast veggies before dumping a couple of scrambled eggs (with spinach and tomatoes in them) on top. Tastier than I expected given that I was just trying to use up leftovers. Poor planning means no lunch today until about 3:00, but I have some dried bananas and macadamia nuts to survive on. My sleep really has improved, so I'm feeling more alert today, at least for the moment. Okay, I'm only 1/6 of the way in, and I probably won't stop whining, but this seems doable. Especially when I think about grilling some steaks this weekend. Mmmmm

Well, then! I was just cruising the Can I Have section to see if vanilla was legal, and found out that paleo pancakes (eggs, bananas and coconut fried up in a pan) are illegal. I haven't had any yet this round, but they were a regular weekend thing for us the first time we did a Whole30. I've gone ahead and decided that saying I didn't really do the Whole30 the first time is just silly. I got a lot out of doing it, and certainly wasn't intentionally sneaking a bad food--rather, I had good foods in an unapproved combination. To discount the first time would be demoralizing in an entirely useless way. All the same, I'll stay away from them this time. *sigh*. 

Yesterday, day 6, went fine, and this evening I have grillapalooza to look forward to. I'm pretty sure we have some of every type of veggie from the produce section to grill, along with some steak, and we'll probably go grab some shrimp to put on there as well. Helps to cook up a bunch extra on Sundays for lunches. I'm also going to make some baked apples--another staple for us. If I find out that baked apples (no sugar!) are illegal, I will cry big angry tears. Or stick my fingers in my ears and say Lalalalala. All the same, I don't think they are. Please, no. 

Well, then! I was just cruising the Can I Have section to see if vanilla was legal, and found out that paleo pancakes (eggs, bananas and coconut fried up in a pan) are illegal. I haven't had any yet this round, but they were a regular weekend thing for us the first time we did a Whole30. I've gone ahead and decided that saying I didn't really do the Whole30 the first time is just silly. I got a lot out of doing it, and certainly wasn't intentionally sneaking a bad food--rather, I had good foods in an unapproved combination. To discount the first time would be demoralizing in an entirely useless way. All the same, I'll stay away from them this time. *sigh*. 

Yesterday, day 6, went fine, and this evening I have grillapalooza to look forward to. I'm pretty sure we have some of every type of veggie from the produce section to grill, along with some steak, and we'll probably go grab some shrimp to put on there as well. Helps to cook up a bunch extra on Sundays for lunches. I'm also going to make some baked apples--another staple for us. If I find out that baked apples (no sugar!) are illegal, I will cry big angry tears. Or stick my fingers in my ears and say Lalalalala. All the same, I don't think they are. Please, no. 

Baked sugar/sweetener free apples are ok, as part of a  meal that otherwise meets the template: 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3  cups of veggies and appropriate compliant healthy fat. Serving size is the size of your fist.

Paleo cake is gluten free cake using honey or maple syrup as a sweetener.  It's often a lot of eggs, almond or coconut flour, and spices.  It's nice as a treat when not on Whole30 because it's a treat, but mainly because it doesn't seem to wake up any sugar dragons.  I make paleo cupcakes for my kids when we go to parties or when we're going to be around a lot of junk food.  They like it and feel special and it doesn't seem to throw them off track.  I would not recommend experimenting during Whole30! :)  But once you get through the 30 days, it's a nice way to have a sweet treat that isn't too sweet.

Paleo cake is gluten free cake using honey or maple syrup as a sweetener.  It's often a lot of eggs, almond or coconut flour, and spices.  It's nice as a treat when not on Whole30 because it's a treat, but mainly because it doesn't seem to wake up any sugar dragons.  I make paleo cupcakes for my kids when we go to parties or when we're going to be around a lot of junk food.  They like it and feel special and it doesn't seem to throw them off track.  I would not recommend experimenting during Whole30! :)  But once you get through the 30 days, it's a nice way to have a sweet treat that isn't too sweet.

Thanks for the tip! I'm up for anything that doesn't attract sugar dragons. I'll give it a try post Whole30.

Day 8, and things seem, well-normal. I'm giving myself some props that some of the good changes I made after my first Whole30 must have really made a difference, because at this point I think if I haven't had a carb crash or any other serious withdrawal, then I probably won't have any. Now, I may have to work on the spending that I'm doing using Paleo as an excuse. $6 for a not-too-large bottle of fancy lemon mint fizzy water? Sure! I deserve a treat, and it's paleo-legal! Can't turn that down. 

Day 9 and meat fatigue has set in. I am seriously sick of meat. I do know of one local grocery store that has bacon with out sugar or other nonsense in it, so I think I'll go get some to jazz up some of the other things I'm eating. All the same, I'm longing to drown everything I'm eating in melted cheese, or to leave the protein out entirely. Given that's not an option, I' think I'll try getting a little more creative with the veggies--thinking about what I could stuff into a green pepper. Maybe some nice pasta. Whoops. 

I'm feeling tired of following recipes and thinking of what to eat, but it's worth it.  I remember being tired of meat also.  Usually these are the times I need to branch out and try a new recipe - have you had pesto spaghetti squash with baby shrimp?

I'm feeling tired of following recipes and thinking of what to eat, but it's worth it.  I remember being tired of meat also.  Usually these are the times I need to branch out and try a new recipe - have you had pesto spaghetti squash with baby shrimp?

Ooohh, good thought. For some reason, I keep forgetting about shrimp, which I love. Will take your advice exactly!

Day 10 and my brain is having a sugar tantrum. I would actually be perfectly happy with a piece of fruit, so I'm trying to decide whether to skip the fruit on principle just because I know that this is a sugar fit or hormone thing, or go ahead and have the fruit because it's not necessarily an unreasonably request, if a bit strongly worded. I think I will simply delay giving in--if the craving disappears, great. If not, maybe I need a little fruit. 

Two eggs, avocado, thin sliced steak and tomato followed by a banana for breakfast. Yummmmmm. Also a handful of nuts, and a piece of dried mango so far today. I really do need to address the grazing issue. Okay, it's on the list!

It's funny how hard it is to go from one meal to the next without grazing.  I guess, maybe it's not funny, but funny in that odd kind of funny kind of way!  I do okay between breakfast and lunch, but the afternoon is rough.  Boredom is rough.  Stress is rough.  :)  It's hard changing these patterns of behavior!  I wouldn't mind some good sugary things myself about now.  Alas.

Day 11, onward and so on. I'm drinking a truly vile combination of mint tea and coffee that I've decided to call toffee. I'm too lazy to make another cup of something, so toffee it is. Good lunch at legal chipotle, and good breakfast of fried eggs with evoo and tomato as well as a banana with a little almond butter, coconut and raisins. Grazing hasn't been too bad today, but I doubt I'm reformed. Salmon for dinner. We have a yummy non-paleo recipe for salmon in foil with green peppers, onions, and ranch dressing. I'm trying to decide if using a little coconut milk and spices would give the salmon some creaminess and flavor if we ditch the ranch. 

No sense that I'm going to get off track, but I'm still bored with all this. Then again, I also feel better, my clothes fit better, and I'm not the rollicking munch monster I was in December. Life is good!

Grrrr. Found out yesterday that something I thought was legal and ate twice actually has some wheat starch in it. The amount is so low it doesn't even register on the nutritional table--that is, the nutritional table lists each component and what it contributes, and the wheat starch is listed as zero for carbs, calories, fat, vitamins, sodium--everyhting. Which doesn't meant those things are absent entirely. If I remember right, it means that it has to be less than half a calorie, or half a gram of carb, or fat or whatever to be listed as zero. 

To start over or not? This is my second Whole30 and part of the strictness of the first was understanding what foods I was reacting to by removing them entirely and then reintroducing them. I happen to know I have no problem with wheat, and have even had genetic testing done that shows no sensitivity or tendency towards celiacs or anything like that. So--start over? I'm not sure why I would. This was a very small amount of something that I didn't eat on purpose and don't react to anyway. I'm inclined to just make sure I don't eat it again!

Whatever I decide, I'm looking forward to trying a recipe tonight for Paleo mayonnaise I dug up as a link from this site (can't remember where now). Whoever's recipe it is didn't seem concerned about the raw egg added--I'm not that worried about getting sick from it, but I am wondering if it cuts down on it's shelf life in some substantial way. We'll see!

I don't know if you need to restart your entire W30 but I would suggest waiting the additional days necessary after your W30 before reintroducing gluten to your diet. 

I make mayo with a raw egg yolk all the time. I rarely worry about shelf life. It rarely lasts more than a week. What I've seen people say is the mayo should be good as long as the date on the egg carton. Personally if something doesn't smell funky I deem it just fine. :)

I don't know if you need to restart your entire W30 but I would suggest waiting the additional days necessary after your W30 before reintroducing gluten to your diet. 

I make mayo with a raw egg yolk all the time. I rarely worry about shelf life. It rarely lasts more than a week. What I've seen people say is the mayo should be good as long as the date on the egg carton. Personally if something doesn't smell funky I deem it just fine. :)

Thanks for the thoughts on gluten and also for the mayo advice, Physibeth! This is my first time making mayo, so I'm hoping I get it right since I heard it can be tricky.

Thanks for the thoughts on gluten and also for the mayo advice, Physibeth! This is my first time making mayo, so I'm hoping I get it right since I heard it can be tricky.

I was scared to do mayo because all the ones I read seemed really fussy and I don't do well with fussy in the kitchen. Then someone posted this link. 

I do this every time and have yet to mess it up. I have the instructions on a sticky on my fridge but I can do it from my head now.

Found out a few days ago from genetic testing that I am 3% neanderthal (91st percentile for neanderthal)! I consider this a sign that I'm on the right eating program for me--back to my cave day roots. 

Hubby made a form of shepard's pie for breakfast this morning that has pumpkin, egg, a bunch of veggies, garlic, bacon (yep, the no-sugar kind). He baked it in a cast iron pan. This is the second time he's made it and both times it has tasted like it has mashed potatoes in it. It's very good, and I like the part where he makes it and I don't do much to help. 

Day 13--just about halfway there. Sleepy yesterday, sleepy already today. Not sure what that's about because I'm not sleeping all that badly at night. Maybe there's some sort of physiologic process that happens around now, but I'm too lazy to look it up. I bought the Whole30 book, but haven't read much of it this time. More or less read a borrowed copy cover to cover the first time, but haven't been as gung ho this time. It's continued to be not particularly hard--yeah!

Archived