Sweet Potato Powder Noodles

MariolaDJ

I'm assuming this is a "NO" because of SWYPO, but otherwise, I found noodles in the Korean market that have only two ingredients; sweet potato powder, water. I also found similar noodles that have two ingredients; arrowroot powder, water. 

Are these ok? If not for w30, perhaps just off of w30? 

Thanks!

The mods will probably have to weigh in on whether or not these are ok on a whole30, but I'd be surprised if they said they are allowed. 

As for after your whole30, you can eat whatever you want. Hopefully the whole30 will have taught you what kind of foods make you more healthy or less healthy so you can make informed decisions about what kind of foods you want to put into your body.

For me personally, I would view those as much better alternatives to regular pasta, or even gluten-free pastas and rice noodles, but I would still avoid having them very often. I'd probably save them for if I was feeling sick and REALLY wanted some chicken noodle soup or some pho.

• Moderators

There are three problems with these "pasta" products. One is that they are processed food in place of real food. Here is what I mean - they take a sweet potato, dry it and crush it into a powder, and then turn it into a noodle. Just eat the sweet potato. Two is that this is nutritionally light foods. Arrowroot is nothing and the reduction of the sweet potato to noodles means you are getting less than you would from eating sweet potato directly. Don't do it. Three is that eating these noodles keeps you too close to the Sad American Diet. It is one thing to turn zucchini into noodles with a julienne peeler and another to do the dry, pulverize, and reconstitute thing.

Thanks folks! That's what I thought you would say so good to know my instinct on it was right. I also bought a potato spiral-er and made spiraled sweet potato "noodles" the other night that were really yum. 

I'll keep this in mind and use these noodles as a very occasional treat when I'm off my Whole30 (3rd one, yay!). 

one more word of warning on the "sweet potato power" noodles. These actually go one step further than dried reconstituted sweet potato. They are made of a type of korean yam that has been processed to remove everything but the water soluble starch (glucomannan), literally removing anything that has any nutritional value. They are advertised as "calorie free" and for good reason. The body does not recognize this as food. It is not a "treat" it is a sad replacement for actual nourishment and can cause terrible digestive distress.

For the sake of the Whole30, these noodles might not be legit. But culturally, it's very much a traditional product used in a few classic dishes in lieu of wheat noodles. It's sad that nowadays it's labeled low carb. It wasn't recently processed this way for the sake of a niche market. These have been around for a while. Food for thought.

Archived