First Timer-Whole30 starts Monday 1/20!

misskrissy27

Smart move! No compliant bacon means no bacon  ;)  Same thing happens to me, there is no compliant bacon available in my country (yet), so I simply live without it (except last Sunday, before starting the Whole30, I had some non-compliant bacon  :wub: but now it's a whole different story!

I woke up feeling energized, not too hungry, no headaches (and no alarm clock either). I guess the "hangover" will come tomorrow or later this afternoon. In that case, I'll say to my body: bring it on, buddy! LOL I'm such a nerd  B)

Here's to day 2! We can do it!  :ph34r:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how did everyone's Day 1 go?  Mine was pretty good!  Woke up today HUNGRY and with a minor headache...that's about it.  It's about lunch time, me and my tummy are ready for lunch!  I went to Trader Joe's last night, I cannot find bacon that is compliant there or at Wegmans...I'm thinking in the ingredients, if it says raw sugar...that's not compliant, so I didn't get it.  Also, never heard of Turbinado sugar...so I didn't get that one either.  Where do you get your bacon, if any?  Also, all the coconut milk at Trader Joe's had carrageenan in it, boooo!  Here's to Day 2!!!  :D

You are correct - sugar or sweetener of any kind in the ingredients list is not compliant.  US Wellness Meats is the Whole30 approved source for bacon. http://www.grasslandbeef.com

Re: the coconut milk at Trader Joe's, it sounds like you looked at the boxed coconut milk.  Generally, most boxed coconut milks contain carrageenan. Your best best is to get coconut milk in cans (still check the label for compliance, especially for sulfites - potassium metabisulfite is a no no.)

Last time I checked at Trader Joe's, their coconut cream and coconut milk in cans is compliant.  That being said, their coconut milk is light coconut milk - really doesn't add much. I prefer Thai Kitchen's coconut milk, which is available at my regular grocery store. If you have a Whole Foods near you, their 365 brand of canned coconut milk is also compliant.

Thanks Chris!  Yes, it was boxed coconut milk I was looking at.  I am not going through bacon withdrawal or anything, so I think I'll just scrap it for my Whole30.  I did find some apple chicken sausage and have my go to of ground turkey, so I should be fine.  Thanks for the input!  Whole Foods is this weekend!  So I'll look for the coconut milk there.  Thanks again.

Hi Everyone!

I started January 20th as well. I gave myself 3 weeks to prepare ahead of time with reading, cleaning ,shopping, starting with the recipes, cleaning my diet by eliminating foods on the "no" list slowly and adding more things from the "yes" list. I was in the middle of an Isagenix 30 day cleanse when I found whole30 on twitter. Reading "It Starts With Food" was an eye opener and I couldn't deny that my head and my heart and whole body knew whole 30 made way more sense to me than the meal replacements, intermittent fasting on "cleanse days".  All this was doing more harm than good for my already out of whack metabolism.

So far on whole 30 I have had not adverse effects and no cravings yet. That might be due to the solid preparation ahead of time. I don't know.

My husband is doing the program with me and he experienced some nausea, which passed and he was able to get on with his day.  Because we had read the timeline ahead of time, he knew what to expect and got through the nausea with grace and little fuss.

Thank you for reading this and sharing your own experiences here.

Its nice to see others who have the same start date as my husband and I.

Looking forward to being in touch with you.

Hi everyone! Checking in to see how you all are going :)

Hi Susan! It is great there are so many of us with the same start date.

Feeling good here, just finished meal 3 of day 3 (trying to get my head around the time difference as I am in Australia). I seem to be doing the time line out of order (typical) with no hangover but umm lets call it intestinal distress yesterday and last night I dreamed I ate chocky rock buiscuts (home made ones I made with my mum as a kid and I make with my kids now) and had to start over, I was so annoyed lol. Feeling very tired too, I've slept 11 or 12 hours the last couple of nights, really looking forward to the extra energy kicking in.

I am going to be baconless too, no idea where to source compliant bacon around here. :(

Hi everyone!

@Susan, buy, you sure prepared a lot! I have never heard about "Isagenix", I checked it out just because I was curious, read the ingredients in it, and yes, it doesn't sound great at all -glad to hear that you found ISWF! Best of luck to you & your husband  :)

@misskrissy27, how did your Day 2 go?

@Kage, wow so you're in Australia! I'm in Peru, but I'm on EST, so no time difference. Same thing is happening to me too, no hangover (yet... but the closest people in my life have all been warned just in case, lol). Oh, the dreams! I haven't had any of them yet, but during my first w30 I had some weird ones, like I ate peanuts and messed it all up (that actually happened the first time I tried doing a w30, I was on Day 7 and then munched on some mixed nuts, didn't realize it had peanuts in it and so I had to start over). 

@yawaii36, glad to hear that! Everything is going well for me too, I am putting tons of time into this so I am enjoying it like crazy.

I am keeping track of everything on my blog -between that, and cooking, and working out, and shopping, and work.... it's hard to get 8 hours of sleep! But so far so good. Planning really IS everything!  ^_^

Here's to day 3! We can all do it!!!  :D

Morning everyone!!!  (well good evening to Kage, I think?) Day 3...well, I think I'm getting a cold :(  Sniffles, scratchy throat...what do you do for medicine?  Am I allowed to take any? 

I have not had a "hangover" yet...a minimal headache yesterday, but that's it.  I was bouncing off the walls last night, had lots of energy, and at my new favorite thing, sweet potato fries!  Today, not so much.  I'm tired, but I stayed up till 11pm too, and getting sick may be the factors.  I ate a larger breakfast than yesterday b/c I was hungry before my normal lunch time, so I kicked it up a notch.  I did have a dream about soft serve ice cream though, which I thought was strange...I don't even really eat ice cream, soft serve no less.  Strange.  Anyways, sounds like everyone is hanging in there just fine!  Good news!  Keep up the good work everyone :) 

If any of you have any remedies or insight on what to do about being sick during Whole30, please let me know!  TIA.

Morning everyone!!!  (well good evening to Kage, I think?) Day 3...well, I think I'm getting a cold :(  Sniffles, scratchy throat...what do you do for medicine?  Am I allowed to take any? 

... If any of you have any remedies or insight on what to do about being sick during Whole30, please let me know!  TIA.

Here's a thread with some ideas: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5945-cold-treatment/

Hope you feel better quickly Krissy.

Trying to drag myself out of bed. Off to work today, lunch is all packed. I wonder if the "kill all things" will hit me?? Wish me luck with that and dealing with idiots at work lol.

DAY 4: SICK!  Ugh.  I also don't feel like eating.  :(  I just want to go home and sleep.  Can I take Ibruprofen?  My head is pounding. 

I didn't really eat much last night for dinner, and have only had two clementines this morning...no appetite.  I hope this goes away SOON!

Hope everyone is well.

DAY 4: SICK!  Ugh.  I also don't feel like eating.  :(  I just want to go home and sleep.  Can I take Ibruprofen?  My head is pounding. 

I didn't really eat much last night for dinner, and have only had two clementines this morning...no appetite.  I hope this goes away SOON!

Hope everyone is well.

Tylenol (acetaminophen) is preferred, as ibuprofen can disrupt the lining of the gut.

Feel better soon.  Bone broth is a good choice. I've caught a cold and am sipping homemade turkey broth now: yum.

Thanks Chris!  I did have some hot water with apple cider vinegar w/lemon last night, that definitely helped soothe.  I did get some rest which helped a TON!  I'm going to run to the store on my lunch break and get some Tylenol.  Thank you!!!  I brought salmon and green beans for lunch...your broth sounds better. Thanks again.

I started on Monday too :)   My hubby and daughter are not doing it, but they eat what I make for dinner. I felt pretty good the past few days, just a little tired. This morning, however, I woke up with a raging headache that lasted nearly all day. 

@Krissy - feel better…no fun being sick.

Hi Everyone!!!  Day 5!  Still sick, but feeling a tad better.  Thanks for the well wishes.  I got a lot of sleep last night, so that helped.  I'm still tired though :(  VERY tired.  I made homemade veggie beef soup last night and it was really good!  I've had some organic foods before, but not like I am eating now, and I must say, they taste better!  The porkchop I had was fantastic, and no fat on it!  Normal ones are pretty much fat.  Even the crushed tomatoes, down to the green beans are wonderful!  I will definitely keep buying them once off Whole30.  So today was a test.  A vendor of ours bought lunch for us today...salad & sandwiches, AND these huge chocolate chip cookies!  Oh they looked wonderful, BUT I wasn't even tempted.  I think part of it is because I'm sick, but just knowing how much sugar is in them sort of makes me sick.  So I grabbed a FULL plate of salad, no dressing, and had some of my home made veggie beef soup.  I'm ok with that!  Hoping this weekend is restful enough to kick this cold.  Everyone have a great weekend!!!  Lots of prep to do for next week!  This is going better than I thought it would.  Yay!!!! ;)

Good morning :) Day 6; head pounding so tired I wish I could just go back to bed for the day, this whole30 buisness is fun. Right? I know this is normal and I just have to hang in there but .....zzzzzzzz.

Hi Cindy :)

Glad you are feeling a bit better Kristine. Well done for resisting the choc chip cookies. I watched my family eat yummy garlic pizza bread and oven baked fresh bread rolls yesterday while I waited for my meal. I felt like a rockstar for not caving lol.

I'm afraid I have to start over…I cheated last night and had one gin martini for Friday night happy hour. In a way it was a good exercise because I feel physically terrible today - slept badly last night and feel like I am incredibly hungover like I drank 5 instead of just one. Ugh. Other than that, I have found it pretty easy sticking with food choices because I'm not hungry or having bad cravings (well except for that drink).

I'm afraid I have to start over…I cheated last night and had one gin martini for Friday night happy hour. In a way it was a good exercise because I feel physically terrible today - slept badly last night and feel like I am incredibly hungover like I drank 5 instead of just one. Ugh. Other than that, I have found it pretty easy sticking with food choices because I'm not hungry or having bad cravings (well except for that drink).

Yes, unfortunately having a drink calls for a restart. Just get back on the W30 wagon.  :)

Day 7 here, can't believe it!!  I thought the weekend was going to be the hardest of all this.  I went to the movies last night, my boyfriend had popcorn, candy, and soda...I had raw almonds and water.  I also brought in some fruit with me (that's a first), I wasn't even tempted.  I LOVE popcorn too.  Well, after the movie, got home, got in our jammies and watched a bit of tv before bed.  Well...my boyfriend was complaining how badly his stomach hurt and THEN, he was in the bathroom for a good chunk of the night after that...while I felt just fine :) heheh...AND I hear ever so quietly come out of his mouth, "maybe I should go on this Whole30"!  I know he never will, but I think he's getting why I'm doing this more and more each day.  This morning had an omelet (2 whole eggs), peppers, onions, tomatoes, and half of a half of avocado, and half a large link of chicken sausage (I was full)...YUM!  Then a clementine, I just love those things.  Going to Wegmans later today to get some more food. 

The friend I had doing this with me caved.  Chipotle.  #weak

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Archived