Day 15 - feel like I'm dying

So day 15 and I've stuck religiously to the diet. One reason for doing this was I have a hunch I have candida after years of antibiotics. Lots of symptoms (which docs put down to hypothyoid and adrenal fatigue but I'm not convinced) and a sugar dragon the size of a planet. Anyway my side affects followed the timeline pretty accurately until day 13. I suddenly feel I've been hit by a bus, terrible headache, red raw throat, blotchy. I thought I may be coming down with tonsillitis (I very very rarely get ill but I did have tonsiliitis abut 5 years ago and felt similarly wiped out) but I'm not sure. I've been reading about candida die off. Has anyone had this? I've been eating lots of sweet potato just to get the energy to get out of bed ( I have a couple of days off work and I get ill -typical!).Anyone? I feel so blooming terrible yet I'm convinced this eating plan is the right one for me. 

It could be that you are coming down with something.  Sore throat is generally not one of the symptoms associated with carb flu.  However headaches and tiredness are symptoms...... so hang tight?

That being said are you able to post a couple of days worth of meals so we can take a look at it?

In the meantime - start getting some hot fluids into your body - bone broth, hot lemon, tea (ginger mint is a particular fave when I feeling under the weather)

Hi, it definitely feels worse than carb-flu. (think I had that the first week). I think I remember reading that your immune system is low when you're first on the diet, but my stomach has balloned too which is why I was thinking die-off. I've also had the worst insomnia and wierd anxiety the last week. Sorry I sound really negative. I KNOW this plan is going to work but just having rough ride at minute.

Meals below (I tend to eat same meal over two days - sorry I'm so boring!)

Day 14

3 egg scramble and fried courgette with big blob of coconut cream and half a sweet potato - all cooked in coconut oil

Huge salad with chicken, roast carrots and half avocado.

2 Roast chicken thighs, courgette scramble, 3/4 of med sweet potato

almonds snack before bed

Day 15

3 egg scramble and fried courgette with big blob of coconut cream and half a sweet potato - all cooked in coconut oil

Huge salad with chicken, roast carrots, and half avocado.

2 Roast chicken thighs, courgette scramble, brocollli + 1 med sweet potato and coconut cream + handful of olives

plus - small bowl blueberries and almonds snack just now as I feel dizzy and rubbish 

• Moderators

Your immune system only gets better as you eat Whole30-style. There is no period of increased vulnerability to illness as you adjust to shifting from crap foods to real, whole foods. 

Most people are leaving symptoms of carb flu behind by day 15. You sound sick. You might want to check in with your doctor. And like Carlaccini said, get some hot fluids in you!

Hi Blondieisaband

If you think you're coming down with something and have a sore throat, try cutting up onion and popping it into a glass or mug. Put your hand over the glass leaving a gap at the front of the glass and breathe in the onion fumes through the mouth and then alternate after a couple of mins and breathe in through the nose. Stir the onion a bit after a while too to release more vapours and breathe in the onion fumes again through the mouth. It's basically like taking a gulp of air with onion vapour. It will kill any bacteria at the back of your throat. Try this twice to three times a day. Discard onion once you've inhaled as much as you can until it doesn't smell anymore. It will sting a bit in your throat but its a good sign! Eat lots of cooked and raw onion and garlic too. Raw garlic is great. Also try popping salt into a saucepan and bringing it to the boil, remove from stove and then inhale that with a towel over your head like the old fashioned way for when you're sick. If you have eucalyptus oil add a couple of drops as well after a few mins inhaling salt water steam. The steam and heat will hopefully help you feel better too. Wrap up warm and eat lots of red foods as these have more vit C than oranges. I used to get put on antibiotics all the time but it weakened my immune system and now I try not to use prescription meds if I can help it. These natural tips are from my family in Ukraine who can't afford meds and they really work. About the bloating and candida, can't help you there atm as I'm struggling with terrible bloating myself on the Whole30! Hope you feel better soon x

I do not think you necessarily need antibiotics for a sore throat and what sounds like a cold.

Drink lots of fluids (I recommend water and bone broth) and get some rest. Avoid doping yourself with Dayquil and Nyquil and cough syrup to get through the day. Let your body do the work. 

Thanks for the advice everyone. So turns out I have tonsillitis after all which explains why I feel so terrible. I've asked to not take the antibiotics for the moment and my doc is happy with that. Trying GSE instead and trying to sleep. I 'think' I'm having candida die off symptoms which made it tricker to tell if I was properly ill or just feeling meh. Feel too sick to eat anything but homemade chicken soup so at least not tempted to go off-road! 

Archived