Do I need to start over???

Chilegirl7

My husband made zucchini noodle and tomato meat sauce with hamburger and peppers onions and mushrooms - first time having zucchini noodle which were awesome by the way. HOWEVER- after I ate I saw the Prego jar in the recycle bin and read the ingredients. Everything was paleo except it had 9 grams of sugar. I am on day 14 and have been feeling great. Do I have to start over? So discouraged.... ambushed. He said he didn't even think about it. ughh

My husband made zucchini noodle and tomato meat sauce with hamburger and peppers onions and mushrooms - first time having zucchini noodle which were awesome by the way. HOWEVER- after I ate I saw the Prego jar in the recycle bin and read the ingredients. Everything was paleo except it had 9 grams of sugar. I am on day 14 and have been feeling great. Do I have to start over? So discouraged.... ambushed. He said he didn't even think about it. ughh

What specifically was in the ingredient list? I'm assuming sugar is but its been a while since I looked at that brand and there are a lot of varieties. We don't care about the nutrient label we care about the ingredient label.

That said if the only off plan ingredient on the list is sugar this would not constitute a restart though you may want to wait 14 additional days to introduce sugar again just to know you went 30 days without it. 

I know canola oil is out too now that I think of it. How bad is that?

Canola oil is a try to avoid but isn't outright banned because it would make it impossible to eat out. If you used it knowingly (this is offplan but I don't care attitude) I would say to restart but as it was accidental I think you are fine.

Ok- so my plan going forward is no sugar for an additional 14 days but I am not chucking it and starting all over. That would demoralize me. I plan to continue Paleo after my whole 30 and I have eaten Paleo on and off the last year or so- but I have never made it through a complete whole 30. VERY determined to own this. Seriously, I was surprised at how good the zucchini noodles were! YAY

I am doing the whole 30 daily emails- I did not want to log that I made a bad choice link because I didn't choose it!

Thanks to Physibeth!

The same thing happened to me today! I had an obligatory meeting at a juice bar and ordered a smoothie that appeared great -- I even reduced the fruit and asked for extra coconut and avocado. Because it was a health-conscious place, I assumed the almond milk to be unsweetened because it was a brand I'm familiar with. Alas, it was vanilla and the second ingredient was evaporated cane juice.

I am on day 5 and don't want to start over. Does this constitute a re-start?  

Thanks for your feedback. 

The same thing happened to me today! I had an obligatory meeting at a juice bar and ordered a smoothie that appeared great -- I even reduced the fruit and asked for extra coconut and avocado. Because it was a health-conscious place, I assumed the almond milk to be unsweetened because it was a brand I'm familiar with. Alas, it was vanilla and the second ingredient was evaporated cane juice.

I am on day 5 and don't want to start over. Does this constitute a re-start?  

Thanks for your feedback. 

The sugar is less concerning then the fact that most almond milk has carrageenan in it. If it did that would constitute a restart/extention as carrageenan is a common stomach irritant.

The sugar is less concerning then the fact that most almond milk has carrageenan in it. If it did that would constitute a restart/extention as carrageenan is a common stomach irritant.

No carrageenan in this brand, thankfully. Regardless, I've decided to extend the elimination for 5 extra days. 

On another note, my body responded very strongly -- more so than usual. I immediately became itchy all over, had a headache, and felt light-headed.

No carrageenan in this brand, thankfully. Regardless, I've decided to extend the elimination for 5 extra days. 

On another note, my body responded very strongly -- more so than usual. I immediately became itchy all over, had a headache, and felt light-headed.

Hmmm...that suggests to me something else in there. Did they use any sort of protein powder? Very weird. I think its good you decided to extend especially considering your reaction.

It was the Whole Foods brand -- vanilla, apparently. Here is a link:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/organic-almondmilk-vanilla-0

There are some other additives in there. What else was in the smoothie? Anything you don't normally eat? You don't need to track it down per say but knowing what you reacted to would be helpful. It could have been just the sugar but the itching is what throws me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

To avoid in the future I have found it helpful to do a cupboard cleanout. If you can't do that because your family isn't doing W30, designate a shelf JUST FOR YOU. Remove anything not Whole30.

We love Rao's tomato sauce and Amy's Family Marinara. Both are compliant, but it's really important to read every single label before you buy a product.

Good luck!

Archived