Breakfast...HELP!

Scadds

Hi

My start date is the 1 Feb 2014, so at the moment I am preparing by researching recipies, other posts from you guys, etc.

One of my main concerns causing confusion is breakfast.

I am intolerant to:

• Egg;
  • Dairy;
  • Wheat

Which is one of the reasons I would like to complete the Whole30....but sometimes for ease (and because I like cereal) and I would like to have something like cereal.

What is everyone having for breakfast that doesnt involve eggs?

I was wondering if anyone has made something similar to this... http://www.paleohero.com.au/products/paleo-hero-primal-muesli-750g

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers

Scadds

• Moderators

Something like cereal is not okay during a Whole30. Just because the ingredients are okay does not mean you can put them together and satisfy the requirements of a Whole30 meal. The meal template - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf - is specific about what a good meal looks like. 

The easiest thing to do for breakfast if you don't like eggs is leftover dinner. I sometimes cook classic supper-time meals for breakfast because that is what I want.

Welcome!

There has been LOTS of prior discussion on this topic.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/8697-help-other-breakfast-ideas-non-eggs/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/6774-non-egg-breakfast/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/1834-breakfast-ideas-without-eggs/

I find it easiest to search the forum via Google.  Type Whole30 followed by whatever you're looking for, and if it's here, you'll get the links to posts/threads.  To get the links above, my search was Whole30 non egg breakfast.

I am allergic to eggs too so I just eat "3 meals" a day.  People think I'm strange but what is a girl to do :)  Don't get hung up on "breakfast food".  Just focus on pulling together a satisfying, nutrient-dense meal that follows the meal planning template.

Two common recipes for me:

1) Chicken (or Turkey) Hash w. any leftover veggies

The Chicken Recipe

I cook 2# of meat at a time in my weekly cook-up so that I don't have to prep the "cook" the meat in the morning.  

• 2# of ground poultry,
  • 1 onion diced,
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic,
  • salt
  • pepper  

Cook onion and garlic in coconut or olive oil until soft.  Add ground meat and cook thoroughly.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  

The Hash Recipe:

• A palm sized portion of the chicken recipe (for me approx. 1 cup),
  • 1 small diced apple,
  • cinnamon,
  • nutmeg,
  • salt,
  • coconut oil

In a skillet, melt coconut oil.  Add diced apple and season with cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Adjust seasonings to your taste but use more cinnamon than nutmeg or salt.  When the apple starts to soften, add 1 portion of the chicken recipe and heat through.  

Serve with a healthy side of veggies.

NOTE:  I have also added some shredded sweet potato to the mix on occasion.  It's delicious and a nice change.

2) Chicken w. Veggies

I cook a package of boneless chicken thighs in my weekly cook-up an store them in the refrigerator. You can use breast meat if you want. My recipe is from the Well Fed cookbook.

Chicken Recipe:

• 1 pkg chicken thighs
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic Powder
  • Paprika

Preheat oven to 400.  Cover baking sheet with parchment paper.  You will cook the chicken smooth side up so start by laying out the chicken on the parchment smooth side down. Season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Turn the meat over and generously season other side. Bake for 30 minutes.  

NOTE:  If you choose to use breasts instead of thighs you will need to slather some coconut oil on the breasts (both sides) prior to seasoning in order to keep the meat moist.  Cook time is the same, 30 minutes.

For my breakfast I usually melt some coconut oil in a skillet, add 1 diced chicken thigh and whatever veggies are on hand.  I mix it all together and eat it out of a bowl. (this is one of my favorite lunches too.)

Hope this helps!

There is a great recipe for grain-free porridge in Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo.  If you love cereal in the morning this is a satisfying substitute.  Just add some bacon or sausage - and a veggie if you are trying to get veggies at all 3 meals.

Sorry!!  My goodness.  I don't add honey or maple syrup to the recipe.  I didn't realize vanilla wasn't allowed.  Never mind people.

There is a great recipe for grain-free porridge in Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo.  If you love cereal in the morning this is a satisfying substitute.  Just add some bacon or sausage - and a veggie if you are trying to get veggies at all 3 meals.

Something like cereal is not okay during a Whole30. Just because the ingredients are okay does not mean you can put them together and satisfy the requirements of a Whole30 meal. The meal template - http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf - is specific about what a good meal looks like. 

The easiest thing to do for breakfast if you don't like eggs is leftover dinner. I sometimes cook classic supper-time meals for breakfast because that is what I want.

Easier to requote Tom here. After W30 knock yourself out. This is about changing your attitude towards food not just the ingredients.

Beyond what Bethany said (and she is correct), this recipe is also not W30 compliant, as it contains vanilla extract, honey and or maple syrup, all of which are not allowed on a Whole30.

• 2 weeks later...

I shall probably get told off for this, but here's my standard breakfast, still enjoying this well after the 30 days.

1 banana

1 cup coconut milk

handful raisins/dates/prunes soaked overnight

handful sunflower/pumpkin seeds - soaked overnight

LOTS of spinach

Water to mix

And here's the bit that the Whole30 frowns on: I put all that in my blender and make a delicious green smoothie.

If I feel the need for extra fat or protein I may add any or all of 1 tbsp ghee, 1 tsp spirulina, 1 egg yolk

I get the point about real food, proper meals and chewing, but that isn't ever going to be part of my early morning routine! This smoothie takes me 2 minutes to make and 2 minutes to drink, and it keeps me going for 4-5 hours, sometimes longer. No sugar spike, no carb cravings, just satisfied and fueled for the day.

I shall probably get told off for this, but here's my standard breakfast, still enjoying this well after the 30 days.

1 banana

1 cup coconut milk

handful raisins/dates/prunes soaked overnight

handful sunflower/pumpkin seeds - soaked overnight

LOTS of spinach

Water to mix

And here's the bit that the Whole30 frowns on: I put all that in my blender and make a delicious green smoothie.

If I feel the need for extra fat or protein I may add any or all of 1 tbsp ghee, 1 tsp spirulina, 1 egg yolk

I get the point about real food, proper meals and chewing, but that isn't ever going to be part of my early morning routine! This smoothie takes me 2 minutes to make and 2 minutes to drink, and it keeps me going for 4-5 hours, sometimes longer. No sugar spike, no carb cravings, just satisfied and fueled for the day.

Yup, smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30.  Further, Whole30 recommends that all meals fit the template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat. You'd need to add a protein on the side for this smoothie to fit the template.

This recipe looks awesome:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/no-oat-oatmeal-its-no-atmeal/#axzz2o2iSkg1W

I know that some folks will say that this is SWYPO or contrary to Whole30, but here are the reasons I don't see it that way:

1) The argument against SWYPO are that it doesn't compare to the real thing and is therefore leaves you wanting the real thing more... this is not a lesser version of any existing thing.

2)  Avoiding the paleofication of poor food choices, and therefore breaking bad habits. Porridge or oatmeal for breakfast is not a poor food choice in the way that pizza, cake or dessert is.  This is not encouraging snacking or sweets.

Plus, if this sort of thing is not compliant, what is, with the exception of plain meat with plain veggies?  That would mean that caulflower as rice is out; spaghetti squash, zucchini or sweet potato pasta is out; portobella or sweet potato buns are out.  All of those things are mimicking grains too, but they make it possible to change up your meal plan and keep things interesting, and thus sustainable. 

I know that some folks will say that this is SWYPO or contrary to Whole30, but here are the reasons I don't see it that way:

1) The argument against SWYPO are that it doesn't compare to the real thing and is therefore leaves you wanting the real thing more... this is not a lesser version of any existing thing.

2)  Avoiding the paleofication of poor food choices, and therefore breaking bad habits. Porridge or oatmeal for breakfast is not a poor food choice in the way that pizza, cake or dessert is.  This is not encouraging snacking or sweets.

Plus, if this sort of thing is not compliant, what is, with the exception of plain meat with plain veggies?  That would mean that caulflower as rice is out; spaghetti squash, zucchini or sweet potato pasta is out; portobella or sweet potato buns are out.  All of those things are mimicking grains too, but they make it possible to change up your meal plan and keep things interesting, and thus sustainable. 

One thing that sticks out to me is that this is a fairly fat-heavy meal.  If that's one serving, you're getting 4+ servings of fat at one sitting.

Secondly, for this to fit the Whole30 recommendations for a meal, you'd need to add 1-3 cups of veggies on the side to meet the meal template. Fruit should not push veggies off your plate.

This recipe is technically not against the rules as it is not called out. A reminder on the definition of the SWYPO rule:

No Paleo-ifying baked goods, desserts, or junk foods. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.†This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved†ingredients—no banana-egg pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don't try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely. - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.YYxGS8nZ.dpuf

However this is not a recipe we would RECOMMEND for best results on your Whole30. For some people it is going to be a SWYPO for one. It also has no vegetables so it doesn't really fit our recommended meal template

So while technical this is not against the rules, it isn't exactly in the spirit of a W30.

Archived