Sigh... ok.  This is Day 14 for us.  Let me give some brief background on the progress we were making and how we're regressing now.  

Days 1-4 were REALLY hard.  Especially on our 4yo DD.  Sugar withdrawals are awful.

Days 5-11 were really great!  Especially for our DD.  She had lots of energy, she had NO tantrums all week!  It was seriously amazing.  She was blossoming into a new child before our eyes.  We were also noticing that we were looking trimmer and feeling generally more awesome, less mood swings all around.

Enter day 12... and things started to go downhill.  DD's moods started getting bad again.  I looked like I gained all my weight back (I know that can be normal...), DH and I were moody/depressed/feeling awful.  We thought it was just a slump, maybe it is.  But DD's moods are just getting worse and worse.  I had tons of energy, and now I feel like I have no energy.  Is all of this normal?  

We are eating the template very exactly this week at every meal, more so than last week because I'm much more organized and prepared.  The only exception to that is snacks sometimes because DD asks to eat all the time and I only have two planned mini-meals a day, so other snacks go off-template a bit depending on what we have on hand.

I am just confused.  If my energy hadn't slumped I might feel better, but that on top of DD's regression is really frustrating and confusing to me.  We're not coming down with a cold or anything, so I don't know what else it could be. I hypothesized that she might be going through some withdrawals again at this stage, but I'm not sure if I'm at all on target with that assumption?

I am new to this too, first Whole 30, Day 20 today ... but I found days 16-20 have been the hardest of all, hoping it is just the way my timeline is playing out.  But, I have felt much more tired and bloated than any other time ... worse cravings too, though I am still eating the template every meal with almost no snacks and little fruit.  Hang in there, like I said, we just may have a different timeline and this period of yuck could just be a new stage in our bodies learning the new digestion.

I'm sorry this is the way you are feeling. Let's focus on your daughter's regression first as I think it might have more to do with your energy slump than you might realize.

Can you give me some examples of what she has been eating for the past few days? Anything else changed? Weather? Sleep? School? It could just be you are all a little behind on the timeline but if there is something we can help you fix I would like to do that.

Actually, I was looking through our meals.  The one thing we did change is bananas.  I have never bought bananas because I have some kind of allergy or sensitivity to them.  But we got some from DH's parents the other day and I was letting her have them.  I didn't think they would be an issue for her because she had one last week with seemingly no trouble.  But today she ate part of it, decided she didn't want anymore and then ten minutes later she was laying down with a tummy ache.  I have noticed her whininess and problems had been happening usually after eating fruit, but maybe it's not the fruit as much as it was the banana.  At the same time though, there is not a strict distinction between when she seems to be struggling and when she eats, which makes me think it might be more than that?  I don't know...

A "regression",or for some folks a continuation of less than awesome, is normal coming up to the halfway point. Most folks experience that around day 10, but there's definitely some wiggle room either side.  I'd suggest deep breaths, purposeful calming activities and early bedtimes if you can get them (mine are 4 and 6, I promise I've been there).

I think I've figured out what the culprit is!  Ok so when we first started we were pretty consistent making her eat three meals a day with us and no snacking really happened because she wasn't finishing her meals in the first place.  Once the routine of eating regularly and not snacking was in place, no tantrums.  Plus no sugar crashes!

Then she just seemed hungry all the time even after she was eating all her food, so we incorporated two mini meals.  Well, five meals a day gets pretty chaotic, and there isn't much of an incentive to eat breakfast if you know another meal is coming in two hours.  Without even thinking things slipped back into the old habits of snacking between meals, giving her food whenever she asked for it, asking her what she wanted instead of giving her what was planned... which led to too much fruit and too many nuts...

Yikes.  Behavior issues came back!  I realized this today.  So I know technically we aren't supposed to limit what kiddos eat, but I am only planning three meals a day!  I will make extra large meals so that if she gets hungry in between she can have leftovers of the last meal.  Basically, eat breakfast until it's lunch time and then we can start eating lunch until it's dinnertime.  Fruit and nuts are always devoured right away if we include them with meals so I won't have to worry about her snacking on them in between meals.  

I am hoping that this both simplifies our meal planning and also gets us back into some better habits!  I instituted the rule at lunch time and, once she learned there was to be no snacking... surprise!  Her bad mood immediately cleared up.  Go figure!

Archived