Gaining FAT! UGH!

trigirl

I'm on Day 19 and have gotten bigger rather than beginning to slim out a bit AND I've gained fat around my abdomin.

It's really tough and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

My sleep is improving, I don't have headaches, and I have begun to feel Tiger Blood.

A bit of history about me....in 2010 I had adrenal fatigue and since then I have had a slight deposit of fat around my abdomin.  Since eating W30 there's been an increase in the fat aound my abdomin.  I'm 55, 5'2", and on bioidentical hormones and take a very low dose of Levothyroxine.

I'm also an Ironman triathlete and have not been able to train since Sept due to an injury...so my exercise in minimal.

I know when I had AF once I was "healed" the fat just came off.  I am wondering if that's the same thing here?

I'm posting my food intake for the past threedays....

Tues Day 16:

Meal 1- 9:30am    

Tea w/~1TB coco cream  

2 eggs, two handfuls of spinach, 2 small tomatoes cooked in Coco Oil

3/4 cup spaghetti squash w/1 serv of ghee

1 tb coco oil

3/4 c mixed berries

20 min walk

Meal 2- 3:00pm

3 oz chicken breast

1 c collards cooked in Coco Oil

3/4 c butternut squash

2 mini tangerines

small handful cashews

Meal 3- 7:30

5 oz steak

2 cups mixed veggies

2 tb EVOO

WED Day 17:

Meal 1- 7:15am

Tea w/~1TB coco cream  

3 eggs, 2 tomatoes cooked in Coco Oil

1/2 Sweet Potatoe w/1 T ghee

3/4 c mixed berries

Meal 2- 12:15

2 cups of Beef Spinach Coconut Stew

1 cup Spagh squash

1 TB ghee

1 TB Coco oil

Meal 3-7:30

3.5 oz pork

1 cup of Brussel Sprout/sweet pot hash

1TB ghee

2 TB EVOO (maybe more caz pork was dry!)

Thurs Day 18-

Meal 1- 7:15am

Tea w/~1TB coco cream  

2 eggs, 2 handfuls spinach, 2 sm tomatoes cooked in Coco Oil

3/4 c spagh squash w/1T Ghee

1Tb coco oil

Meal 2- 1:15pm

3 oz chicken breast

1 cup BS/SP Hash (as above)

1/2 Sweet Potato

2 TB ghee

1/4 c kimchee (clean!)

1 mineola

Meal 3- 7:45pm

3.5 oz pork

1 cup of Brussel Sprout/sweet pot hash

1TB ghee

2 TB EVOO (maybe more caz pork was dry!)

Any ideas on what to do would be great!!

I would love to loose this fat! That's one of the things I was hoping for with Whole30.....

Thanks! 

Is it fat or bloating?  If it's the latter, perhaps digestive enzymes or fermented foods could help (noticed you had kimchee yesterday)?

The adrenal fatigue and/or hormones are likely coming into play here, to at least some extent. I will hope that someone with more experience in those arenas will comment.

With respect to the meal template, I wonder if your protein portions are big enough?  Eggs should be the number you can hold in your hand.  Saw you had 2 one day and 3 other days. Instead of weighing other proteins, use the 1-2 palm size measurement from the meal template.

Besides that, your meals look good.

It's actual fat.  My pants are tighter in my butt, thighs and abdomin. 

And I don't actually weigh or measure anything...it's just after years of doing that I apporximate the weight/cup size.  I have been using the palm measurement. I tend to eat about 1.5 of the portion sizes .

Any other suggestions to help me with troubleshooting????

I'm sorry that I don't have advice for you but I can just relate.. I'm actually 40 days in and having that belly fat issue myself. It's frustrating I know, but glad you are feeling better in some areas so hope you keep it up. I just ordered the digestive enzymes so I'm hopeful that will make a change.. Hang in there!! ps, total side note but I just barely got put on a low dose of the Levothyroxine myself and I'm worried since I hate taking medication.. Have you noticed positive changes with that or side effects? Sorry, not trying to take away from your post..

Is it fat or bloating?  If it's the latter, perhaps digestive enzymes or fermented foods could help (noticed you had kimchee yesterday)?

The adrenal fatigue and/or hormones are likely coming into play here, to at least some extent. I will hope that someone with more experience in those arenas will comment.

With respect to the meal template, I wonder if your protein portions are big enough?  Eggs should be the number you can hold in your hand.  Saw you had 2 one day and 3 other days. Instead of weighing other proteins, use the 1-2 palm size measurement from the meal template.

Besides that, your meals look good.

What are the digestive enzymes you suggest?

I'm sorry that I don't have advice for you but I can just relate.. I'm actually 40 days in and having that belly fat issue myself. It's frustrating I know, but glad you are feeling better in some areas so hope you keep it up. I just ordered the digestive enzymes so I'm hopeful that will make a change.. Hang in there!! ps, total side note but I just barely got put on a low dose of the Levothyroxine myself and I'm worried since I hate taking medication.. Have you noticed positive changes with that or side effects? Sorry, not trying to take away from your post..

To be honest one of the main things I've notice since being on levo is that I eliminate daily.

What digestive enzyme did you buy?

Sorry for the frustration you are feeling. I can relate! First, know that hormone stuff, adrenals, thyroid, sex hormones (all of it!) are super complicated and may take more than a few days or weeks to resolve. It would help if you can take the focus off how you look, your perception of belly fat, etc. and try to focus on nourishing your body, giving yourself grace and time. Do what you can to dial back the stress over changes or percieved changes and just make health your mantra.

I know that isn't easy.

I have dealt with (and continue to deal with) some of these same issues, but every one of us is a unique snowflake. Your context is special and needs particular attention. One thing that helped me is to insist on thorough blood work from my Dr. It really helps to get a sense of where all the levels are, and now I know what levels feel best for me (not always exactly what the "reference range" suggests is good enough or "normal"). I could come back and post a list of what I asked for the first time if that helps--we've narrowed the list down some since then (some of my numbers are good/steady we don't test them as often).

I've heard good things about Sara Gottfried's book with regard to these topics, although I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Hormone-Cure-Naturally-Gottfried/dp/1451666942

I hope this helps!

Sorry for the frustration you are feeling. I can relate! First, know that hormone stuff, adrenals, thyroid, sex hormones (all of it!) are super complicated and may take more than a few days or weeks to resolve. It would help if you can take the focus off how you look, your perception of belly fat, etc. and try to focus on nourishing your body, giving yourself grace and time. Do what you can to dial back the stress over changes or percieved changes and just make health your mantra.

I know that isn't easy.

I have dealt with (and continue to deal with) some of these same issues, but every one of us is a unique snowflake. Your context is special and needs particular attention. One thing that helped me is to insist on thorough blood work from my Dr. It really helps to get a sense of where all the levels are, and now I know what levels feel best for me (not always exactly what the "reference range" suggests is good enough or "normal"). I could come back and post a list of what I asked for the first time if that helps--we've narrowed the list down some since then (some of my numbers are good/steady we don't test them as often).

I've heard good things about Sara Gottfried's book with regard to these topics, although I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Hormone-Cure-Naturally-Gottfried/dp/1451666942

I hope this helps!

If you could post the tests that would be fantastic!

I ended up reducing my portion sizes to 1 portion of everything.  I feel less heavy now but have developed constipation.  I'm wondering if I shoudl increase my fat intake a bit.....

If you could post the tests that would be fantastic!

sorry I didn't see this request earlier. Here are the tests I requested that first time:

HORMONES

Estradiol

Progesterone

Lutropin (LH)

Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)

Percent Testosterone Free

Testosterone Total

Testosterone Free

Cortisol (serum, am)

DHEA

THYROID

Free T4