Not hungry in the morning

Rukstar

I am new to Whole30 although I have been eating about 70 - 80% Paleo for about 16 months, sometimes strict with occasional lapses.  I have not eaten wheat (except for the hidden variety in sauces etc) for all of that time and feel heaps better for it.  However I still have some indigestion, burping, bloating etc.  I have been looking into Whole 30 on and off and decided to finally give it a go.

My concern is that I am often not hungry in the morning and I think Whole 30 requires you to eat regular meals.  I would appreciate some advice around this.  I have read that intermittent fasting can be good for you and have tried it on and off but don't believe it is the right choice for me.

Creating morning hunger takes some discipline and will come as your hormones rebalance. Basically if you have never been a morning eater than your body has gotten used to that. Eating within an hour of waking is important to balancing hormones and getting to a healthy metabolism. 

What I generally recommend to people who are not hungry in the morning is to eat something within an hour of waking even if it is a single hard boiled egg. Keep working your way up to a template sized meal in the morning. It will come. Another good option is to make that template meal and eat what you can stomach and then have the rest later in the morning.

• Moderators

Intermittent fasting tends to throw your hormonal balance off, so we ask people to leave experimenting with it for some time after doing a Whole30. I experimented with IF for a few months, but found that is led to more interruptions of my sleep. 

Creating morning hunger takes some discipline and will come as your hormones rebalance.

This is very true. I was never a morning eater until my first W30. Now, even when I am not on a W30, I am still hungry in the morning and eat breakfast daily.

I can relate to this. I've always preferred to eat about 3 - 4 hours after I woke up. The first few days of Whole 30 were hard, it felt gross to eat. It took me about 10 days to get the hang of it. Now, I'm on day 28 and it's no big deal. I'm often not "hungry" but eating is easy and I see the benefits in terms of my blood sugar feeling more balanced the rest of the day.

I'd also try different types of food for breakfast to see what works. For me, I don't like eggs in the morning. I landed on sausage pan cooked in ghee and a veggie mash as my favorite breakfast and I've been eating that almost every day. Different type of sausage and different types of mash, but this texture seems to work for me.

Archived