Third time is apparently not the charm

So this is my third Whole30 - and my cleanest to date. The last two Januarys, this has been the deal:

Start off the Whole30 with 31 inch waist, from Christmas/holiday bloat, etc. By the end of the first week, I would lose one inch of holiday bloat. By the end of the month, I would lose another inch from my waist.

This year? Started with 31 inch waist. Day 31 - 30.5 inch waist.

So I am frustrated. I know it is not primarily a weight loss diet, but I have always had such good results! I am not trying to lose tons of pounds, just get back to my happy-pants-fitting size.

I started this month relying a little heavy on the fruit/nuts, but cut it out mid-month. This past week, every day has looked more or less like this:

Morning: Two turkey apple sausages, 3475 cups of green tea, sometimes some sweet potato if the WOD was really long that morning

Lunch: Big bowl of chili (bison, sweet potato, vegetables)

Dinner: Cauliflower rice, chicken cooked in coconut oil, peppers, carrots, coconut aminos

The only thing that has changed from last year is a. I am 26 years old instead of 25, and b. I have been crossfitting since last March, usually 4x a week.

I will say that everything else is super- I switched to standing desk at work two weeks ago and love it, I have been getting 8 hours of sleep every night, I generally feel pretty great.

At the beginning of the month I was feeling really bloated, my period was really late, and I was having a really hard time of it, so maybe now that I am feeling good, my body just needs a little more time? I am thinking of sticking with it for another week or so.

Anyways, any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Putting it all out there: actually on day 3 of period right now. Previously had skipped period for month of December for unknown reasons (too much sugar, gluten etc? I usually eat 80/20ish) and got it just a little later than usual in January.

I dont think you are eating enough, especially at breakfast.  you should be having 2-3 cups of vegetables, and if you are doing Crossfit in the morning, make sure to get a pre and post WO meal.

I work out at 7am and eating before is a challenge - I can handle a banana or sweet potato before, but anything else is not going to agree with me. I'm not sure about having just carbs first thing in the am though. Afterwards I always have protein/some carbs depending on the day, but I agree that I could definitely add more vegetable there.

I work out at 7am and eating before is a challenge - I can handle a banana or sweet potato before, but anything else is not going to agree with me. I'm not sure about having just carbs first thing in the am though. Afterwards I always have protein/some carbs depending on the day, but I agree that I could definitely add more vegetable there.

Even just a hard boiled egg before your work out would be good, shouldn't be too bad on your stomach.  Protein before workout is really important.  I have the same trouble with breakfast … just have to choke it down.

BTW, my period bloat doesn't end until I am fully done with my period … I am always a bit full around the middle for a few days before and even sometimes a day or two after I am all done.

CrossFit.  That's your kicker.  You are likely not eating enough, or enough starchy veggies.  If you aren't refueling effectively, your body will be hesitant to let go of any stored energy.  Try making sure you have starchy veggies every. single. day. Maybe twice, depending on your intensity at the box.

Archived