First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meals today: 

M1: 3 eggs, chicken sausage with kale, tangerine, and sweet potato with almond butter 

Workout: pilates, 5 mile run, and 10 minutes circuit training

Post-workout meal: chicken saag, chicken burger, and broccoli soup 

M2: bowl of shrimp curry 

M3: chicken burger with roasted veggies and homemade ketchup, sweet potato with almond butter 

Random snacking: 3 black olives, 2 dried apricots 

I have stopped keeping track of what day I'm on, which feels great!!

Food today:

Meal 1: 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, half an avocado, sauerkraut, coffee with homemade coconut milk

Meal 2: Thai green curry with chicken thighs, coconut milk, red onion, green beans, napa cabbage, okra. Whole orange

Snack on way home from work: slice of roast beef, half dozen kalamata olives, carrot sticks.

Meal 3: big bowl of sausage kale veggie soup, couple of applegate farms grass fed beef hot dogs.

Will be starting an at-home yoga program called Ultimate Yogi first thing in the morning! It's 108 days of daily yoga practice. I'm not sure how I'll find the time, but excited!

Day 11 was great. Feeling good. I didn't get enough sleep last night though so I am not doing well today. I had to get up at 5 am this morning so I went to bed around 8 last night to get enough sleep. My neighbors up above me decided to put something together and were hammering until after 10pm. So finally I got to sleep but had really weird dreams. Plus I kept waking up. Then of course I woke up at 3 and couldn't get back to sleep. I hate nights like that.

Today day 12 has been really hard. I have been so tired and my brain isn't working very well. Then I come home to a fight between my Mom and brother, he is helping me take care of her. Very stressful day. Now he had made my favorite: grilled cheese and all that is missing is the tomato soup. So off I am to my bedroom with my buffalo burger and sweet potatoes

And of course now I am awake!!

Well, today is day 12 for me. I'm not feeling particularly peppy about it but that's okay. I've been eating way too much and feeling uncomfortable physically. I'm not sure if stress is causing the overeating or what but it's not cool. I dumped out my slivered almonds the other day because i couldn't trust myself with them--now I want them back :(

Well, today's meals: 

meal1: 

• 3 fried eggs
  • 1 chicken hot dog
  • kale (sautéed in coconut oil) 
  • a tbsp of coconut flakes
  • small handful or black olives 

pre-workout:

• 6 dried apricots (they're not very big and that's a "serving" according to the package) 
  • 3 fried eggs 

post-workout: kale salad

• large handful or two of kale (raw)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 chicken hot dog
  • 1 tbsp or so of balsamic vinegar

meal 2:

• half of a spaghetti squash sautéed in coconut oil 
  • 1 chicken sausage 
  • small sweet potato w/ almond butter

meal 3: stir fry all cooked in coconut oil w/ roasted brussel sprouts and sweet potato 

• shrimp (~3/4 cup)
  • 1/2 chicken sausage
  • pepper strips (1/2 bag of frozen strips)
  • spaghetti squash (1 to 1.5 cups)
  • coconut aminos 
  • roasted brussel sprouts
  • small sweet potato w/ almond butter
  • grapefruit 

Does this seem like a ton of food to all of you? i know we shouldn't compare but it seems like I'm eating a ton and I'm not a large person by any measure (despite being pregnant--which would only make a minor difference in my calorie requirements (and no I'm not counting them)). 

I have no idea why but I really want to cheat today. I want to go to a movie, have hot tamales, milk duds, pop corn, hot dog, nachos, and a diet coke!!. So weird. At work right now so not much I can do about it. I am going to have my snack of lamb burger and salad so hopefully that will help.

I have no idea why but I really want to cheat today. I want to go to a movie, have hot tamales, milk duds, pop corn, hot dog, nachos, and a diet coke!!. So weird. At work right now so not much I can do about it. I am going to have my snack of lamb burger and salad so hopefully that will help.

I'm kind of feeling that way too except my cravings are not really easy to pinpoint. I just want SOMETHING. hmph.

Happy day 13 everyone! I'm feeling more optimistic today. Woke up and noticed my Keratosis Pilaris ("chicken skin" on my legs) is about 50% better! That has been one of my high hopes for the Whole 30. Also, it turns out I was not eating enough, nor the proper ratios, so I've adjusted that am and trying to eat more. Seems to be working! Besides my skin looking better today, my stomach looks flatter too. So anyway, finally some positives =) Hope you guys are having some small victories too!

Karinne-- I'm with you, I haven't worked out since I started this =( Just felt too nauseas and fatigued. But if I still feel good tomorrow, I'm getting back on that routine! Got my exercise today shoveling the 16" of snow that fell last night =p

Ok, so the urge to cheat...  it's killing me!

My mom is in the hospital and we are going to have to make a super fast day trip out of town to see her and I am so debating quitting and restarting when we get back. It is going to be so hard to deal with the stress of all of it and also not eat wrong. Then again, if I can find compliant snacks I don't have to do 13 extra days!  But my mom nearly died!  Lasagna!  You see my dilemma!  Argh!  I know what I should do. Don't ask me what I will do.  I hope it's what I should do. I don't want an extra w30. Talkmedownsomeonepleeeeeeeeease.

Ok, so the urge to cheat...  it's killing me!

My mom is in the hospital and we are going to have to make a super fast day trip out of town to see her and I am so debating quitting and restarting when we get back. It is going to be so hard to deal with the stress of all of it and also not eat wrong. Then again, if I can find compliant snacks I don't have to do 13 extra days!  But my mom nearly died!  Lasagna!  You see my dilemma!  Argh!  I know what I should do. Don't ask me what I will do.  I hope it's what I should do. I don't want an extra w30. Talkmedownsomeonepleeeeeeeeease.

Wanted to write back this morning, but the forum was down. Hope you're doing well!! Sending good thoughts for your mom!!

Eating out twice today!! 

Had chipolte salad with guacamole for a lunch meeting.

My guy is delayed getting home due to his flight being cancelled, so he arranged for my father in law to take me to dinner. We're going to a local steakhouse where you grill your own steak plus it has a salad bar. I'll bring some dressing for my salad and season my own steak with compliant spices. Hooray!!

Happy day 13 everyone! I'm feeling more optimistic today. Woke up and noticed my Keratosis Pilaris ("chicken skin" on my legs) is about 50% better! That has been one of my high hopes for the Whole 30. Also, it turns out I was not eating enough, nor the proper ratios, so I've adjusted that am and trying to eat more. 

After I read your post, I noticed that the keratosis Pilaris on my upper arms and legs was so much better, too!  Added benefit! I think I'm not eating enough veggies at breakfast and am fixing that this weekend. thinking spinach in egg/sausage muffins.

I have a nasty flu/cold and don't feel much like eating. Avoided caving with all the Valentine's candy at school.  I onoly had a quick little thought about have in "just one", but quickly knew I wasn't going to succumb. 

My dear, dear husband, bought me candy for Valentine's day.  Can't figure that one out. He is even trying this with me.  He cheats, though! LOL 

ALRJ Please don't be so hard on yourself. This is a learning journey. It's about eating right when sometimes things go wrong. We have to have some stressful times to help us learn how to cope with them.  I plan to eat this way for a long time, with one or two things added back in, so I don't think of it as another w3o.  I'm so sending you positive thoughts and cyber hugs.  Hoped that you worked through this and that your mom is okay.

Day 13 for me. stayed compliant through Valentine's Day so the rest should be a cake walk. I will admit though that as I was pouring my husband's maple and brown sugar frosted mini wheats I wanted to snag one BUT I did no such thing. Just poured and walked away. Besides, the frittata I'll be making for breakfast is much better than mini wheats by a mile! :) 

It has been a really hard 2 days and even though the site was down for me I did ok. We had to put our cat, Max down. He has been with us for over 7 years. I was really tempted to have some vodka and fries where calling my name. I did over indulge in sweet potatoes, olives, and grapes while I emotionally ate but at least I didn't go off.

I did a lot of cooking yesterday and even froze some meals with veggies for the first time. This is the farthest that I have ever gone without cheating so I celebrated by buying myself a new bra (my other ones are too big now), a pink long sleeve shirt, aqua blue button sweeter, and the special item was new plastic cutting boards. I now have one for meats and one for veggies and fruit.

I am going to make a list of all the cooking things that I want and use those as my celebrations for doing well.

I hope everyone had a great Valentines Day.

post-39884-0-21686800-1392469943_thumb.j

It has been a really hard 2 days and even though the site was down for me I did ok. We had to put our cat, Max down. He has been with us for over 7 years. I was really tempted to have some vodka and fries where calling my name. I did over indulge in sweet potatoes, olives, and grapes while I emotionally ate but at least I didn't go off.

I did a lot of cooking yesterday and even froze some meals with veggies for the first time. This is the farthest that I have ever gone without cheating so I celebrated by buying myself a new bra (my other ones are too big now), a pink long sleeve shirt, aqua blue button sweeter, and the special item was new plastic cutting boards. I now have one for meats and one for veggies and fruit.

I am going to make a list of all the cooking things that I want and use those as my celebrations for doing well.

I hope everyone had a great Valentines Day.

That's so heartbreaking. I'm sorry you had to say goodbye to your kitty. You should be very proud of yourself! maybe we can all help make a list of things we want (kitchen things) as a celebration. It would be a great way to incentivize. Okay, I'll start making a list....

• veggie spiral cutter for zucchini noodles and other noodles
  • immersion blender
  • dehydrator

So Valentine's Day worked out!  I won't say it wasn't tough, but I really appreciate the food suggestions I got.  The daily email really saved me, as I decided to try the stuffed flank steak recipe (minus the blue cheese) recommended.  I was a little worried still because wine is a big part of our history of celebration .... decided to invite another couple (close friends) to dinner to "assist".  She's been a strict Paleo eater for some time, so she came to the rescue and helped me enjoy the incredible meal and company we DID have instead of the wine I didn't have.  Honestly, I didn't miss it - just missed the idea of it. 

I have to say, the daily emails are right on target and have been a huge help.  If there's anyone who is considering them but not sure they want to spend the money - it is WELL worth it in my opinion.  For me it's been the key to not only identifying and altering bad habits (not just eating) but finding great recipes for food that's just as good (and actually better) than how I used to cook before I got sick.  I love to cook and I'm now learning that I can still enjoy that part of my life and remain healthy.  Yippy!!!

Day 15 and I'm still here! I was surrounded by candy and sweets all day yesterday and I didn't have the urge to cheat once. My sugar cravings are gone. This is great - it's the main reason why I wanted to do a W30 in the first place.

My sweet hubby tried to find a paleo "treat" that I could eat for valentines day. He got these cacao truffles from whole foods which he claimed were vegan and paleo, but he didn't know what exactly was in them. So I didn't eat them. I felt bad for not being able to enjoy something he worked hard to find for me, but I was touched that he cared so much to try to find something that would maybe work with my current eating regimen.

I don't really feel any of the "magic" that's supposed to happen yet but I think my pants are looser, so that's a good sign!

Hey peeps. I've been having trouble getting into the forum. Anyone else? Anyway, I've hit second stage of grief:Anger. I'm pissed that I can't eat just anything, that I can't have toast, that I can't order whatever I want at a restaurant, that I can't have cream and sugar in my coffee. You name it, I'm pissed off about it. Having said that, I continue to endure.

Grump, grump, grump.

This morning I have lots to do around the house, so I'm experimenting with cooking a few things in between tasks. Hopefully I can shop and cook tomorrow, which works the best for me.

One good thing I saw in the daily emails: recommended kitchen utensils. I'd seen one of those little choppers at the food coop recently and wondered about getting one (I hate dicing). Think I'm going to do it. Can't reward myself with a favorite food, so how about a food gadget? GADS, that's healthy.

Okay. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Motorcycle pants. Yeah, yeah.

Someone else jump in and be the excited, supportive voice. I've lost mine for a while, I think.

I am so, so sorry about Max. Sending gentle cyber hugs.  Proud of you for staying on. You are a strong woman! 

I am now cooking for my beagle, Maggie, chicken and rice. Seems everyone in this house needs a different diet! LOL 

I treated myself to a noodle cutter and magnetic measuring spoons and a container for coconut milk with a spout for pouring into my am coffee. Just did that before coming here! 2 weeks down! Time to celebrate! Good idea Runninglawyer! Off to look at spiral veggie cutters.

good choices, everyone!

Archived