day 31...gout!? really?

I finished my whole 30 yesterday (yay!)  The other thing that happened yesterday was the beginning of some horrible heel pain.  I've been busy with the kids so I really haven't been working out or running like I usually do so I can rule out a sports or overuse injury.  My husband says he thinks it's gout because I eat meat at every meal.  Personally, I would think that after 30 days of eating the best I can, I would be in optimal health and certainly not at risk for something like that.  Has anyone had a problem like this?  I did reintroduce dairy in small amounts today which did cause a little GI distress, but the heel pain started before the reintroduction.  TIA for any thoughts.

I was thinking plantar faciitis, too, missmary.  My husband seems to think the pain is in the wrong place for that.  I still think that's what it is, but wanted to get some other opinions.  What caused your plantar fasciitis?  I think I might be overdue for supportive shoes.  Thanks!

What caused your plantar fasciitis?  I think I might be overdue for supportive shoes.  Thanks!

Mine was caused by doing a couch-to-5k program in worn out tennis shoes, so that sounds about right.

Since that time I've really strengthened my feet and wear minimalist shoes and sprint, but back then I needed more support. The pain would be right in the middle of the heel? You should be able to feel/follow the muscle in your calf to where it connects to the muscles in the bottom of the foot. That spot is where micro-tears happen and cause the pain. Stretching the posterior chain (calves, hamstrings, even glutes) should help this. Also more supportive shoes, at least in the short run, and giving it time to heal. My doctor also suggested doing a "catcher stretch" each morning, so, getting down in a squat position but with heels lifted, so you are on the balls of your feet. good luck!

Plantar fasciitis is simply inflammation of the fascia, which is the connective tissue between and around muscles. Plantar just means the sole of the foot. The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous band of connective tissue that originates on the heel bone and extends towards the toes, supporting the plantar arch. An alternate name for plantar fasciitis is "Jogger's Heel" and wikipedia says that it "is a common painful enthesopathy of the heel and plantar surface of the foot"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

Another sure clue that it is plantar fasciitis is that it is worse in the morning or after not moving your feet for a long time. I had it too and along with what has been suggested found strapping an ice pack around the middle of my foot at night to be very helpful.

Archived